Jul 16, 2006, 11:38 PM
Clinger, MAGA
Mine hangs on the wall now. Bought May 22, 2002. It was built by May 28, 2002. Maiden took place May 31, 2002. August 12, 2002 went to brushless solution with miniAC as I was tired of replacing motors every week! Awesome! August 20, 2002 added retracts. Cool . Last flight was July 14, 2004 after 521 flights. Someday I may have to get it going again . Here it is over my computer work stations in my home office as it was my first acrobatic trainer.... Thanks Doug!!!!!

Richard
Last edited by rclark; Jul 16, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
BEC
BEC
You know, I should drop the Silent Afterburner in the older of the two SBs I have on hand. It has a Model Motors MiniAC 1615/something in a GWS gearbox in it right now and it would get lighter and go better with the little AXi. I've been flying that airplane's wing (which has the second generation of Doug's retracts in it) on another fuselage that has the nose redone to take those rear mounted outrunners (PJS/Nippy Black types). I have a Mk. II that's about ready to cover that's been that way for a long time - has the third generation retracts in it - which are fussier than the second.

For fixed gear, grassy field ops I still favor the Dandy Sport, which has an AXi silver 2212/34 in it right now.... almost as good as the original Silent Afterburner.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Jul 20, 2006, 08:00 AM
Watch This !!!
Thread OP
Bernard,

Please Post some pictures of your Switchbacks.
Jul 23, 2006, 10:19 AM
Jody Bradshaw

New Switchback

I finally built a Kit!!! And finished it even. Maiden later today.

This is my 1st finished kit, 1st MM kit, and 1st time covering.

Power: GWS 350 C
Battery: CBP 650 8 cell
Prop: 9x5 HD
RX: Hitec HSF05
Servos: 1 BMS-371 for Aileron, 2 HL Microbe II for Rudder and Elevator
ESC: GWS300E

I may try 7 cells and a 10x6 prop later, but I wanted the extra punch from the higher voltage for my maiden.

Any suggestions on the maiden?

Jody
Jul 23, 2006, 10:39 AM
Looks great Jody.

With the GT wing MAKE SURE you adhere to Doug's recommendations for control throws. If you have dual rates in your TX then set low rates to 50% of your high rate settings and use expo if you have it. The GT is VERY responsive on high throws. It's also a pussycat if you are conservative with your settings. For the maiden don't overdo it and crash it from too much control deflection. Get her in the air and trimmed out. THEN start going wild and ripping holes in the sky. This will immediately become your favorite plane!

Joe
Jul 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
OK. Here are a few of mine. I've got extra wings stacked like cordwood! I have a couple kits still in the bags that I'm saving for when you can't get them anymore. I'll always have a SwitchBack in the hangar!

Joe
Joe:

Where can you buy a kit?

Henry
Jul 23, 2006, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo
Joe:

Where can you buy a kit?

Henry
HERE.

Joe
Jul 23, 2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks, I went here:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...8bab9e3317ca34

Looks pretty nice.
Jul 23, 2006, 02:19 PM
Clinger, MAGA
You can't go wrong with a SB ... whichever wing you pick .

Jody, just keep the throws on low during the maiden. Get a feel for it before turning up the 'heat' . You'll do fine if you've flown anything else before ... Now wasn't that fun building a kit and learning to cover? . Good job and accomplishment! Building is half the fun!
Last edited by rclark; Jul 23, 2006 at 02:30 PM.
Jul 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
Under tension
The Switchback was my first aileron plane. I had so much fun with it I decided to build another one a few months ago. I still use the original wing from the sport model.
Jul 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

Switchback fans..

I've been flying my SB Sport for almost two years now and have over 230 flights on with no probs,if I ever built another I think I'd stay with the sport wing...I just like the all around characteristics of the sport wing.If I wanna really rip it up I'll break out the 160 watt/13 oz. Dandy GT.
I like the covering schemes on these before mentioned planes,very interesting patterns I might have to lift a few ideas from..here is a pic of Rich's daughter with my Sport...

New clubmember Greg saw me having so much fun with mine he built his own a few weeks back and has been flying alot.Now we have 2 SBs..
Jul 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
citabria,
those are some sweet lookin covering jobs. nice work!!
Jul 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
All these beautiful Switchbacks... and then you see the plain jane one on the web site. Anyone want to email me some pictures for the web site? (OK, I admit it, I'm too lazy to build up a great photo model. Well, that or I'm too busy to do it, or both!)

Brian
Jul 24, 2006, 08:00 AM
Jody Bradshaw

Successful Maiden!!

Maiden went off without a hitch. I now have a new favorite plane. I only needed to add a little up elevator trim.

TurboJoe,

Thanks for the tip about the throws. I kept it on low rates like you suggested and it was very stable and predictable.

A friend was with me at the field and he let me borrow his 2s 2100 Lipo for my 3rd flight. All I can say is WOW!! Even at the lower voltage than my 8 cell Nimh pack, it flew great and got great flight time too. I think I am hooked on Lipos now. I guess a 350 on 2S would run a long time with what I was pulling. Only 6 amps and it still performed awesome.

I guess I am in the market for a charger and lipos now.

This is an addictive hobby. I love it.

Jody
Jul 24, 2006, 08:32 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Congrats Jody!!! Building and flying is about as fun as fun gets.

Brain: Update the Switchback photo? You must have finally heard us talking to the screen to you when visiting the site.... -Steve

Quick Reply