This thread is privately moderated by Chatenever, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 11, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to find an Instructor

Yesterday, I taught a newby to fly his Easy Star (Yes, he was a very fast learner). I had contacted him to offer my assistance when I noticed on RC Groups that he lived very close me. It was a very satisfying experience for him because he was successful, and for me, teaching is something that I enjoy doing.

There many newbys trying to learn to fly on their own. For some, its by choice... maybe they aren't interested in the whole "club" thing, or maybe just want to do it by themselves. That's fine. But I'm sure that there are others who go it alone because they just don't know how to find an instructor.

With the increasing popularity of electrics, there are more and more experienced pilots who fly by themselves at school yards or vacant lots or fields. They don't belong to clubs. It occurs to me that there may be many experienced flyers willing to teach, and many newbys who would love to make a local contact to take advantage of their experience, for building questions or flying instruction. But how do they make contact with one another?

I suggest to the moderator of this forum that you create a Directory of experienced modelers who want to make themselves available to those who are just starting out. It should allow the pilots who wish to register a way to state their areas of expertise. It should also allow students to post feedback about their experience with the instructor. After that, with the huge numbers of modelers who visit RC Groups and who live all over the world, I'd expect that the "Instructor Directory" will grow like crazy. It will be a useful resource that can really help the hobby grow, and will benefit all of us.

Whaddya think?

FOLLOWING IS AN INDEX OF INSTRUCTORS WHO HAVE VOLUNTEERED THROUGH THIS THREAD. JUST FIND A CITY THAT IS NEAR YOU, AND THEN GO TO THE POST NUMBER(S) THAT FOLLOWS THE CITY TO GET MORE INFO. If you don't find anybody in the index that is near you, then to locate clubs in your area, go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Alabama
Birmingham 14

Arizona
Mesa 536, 638

California

Anaheim 367
Bakersfield 6, 184
Bloomington 11
Brawley 90
Carlsbad 193,544
Corona 367,396
Danville 217
East Bay 307
El Monte 367
Fresno 94
Livermore 38
Los Angeles 367 689
Monterey 78
Novato 16
Orange County 367
Oxnard 7
Placentia 380
Rancho Cucamonga 396
Ridgecrest 666
Sacramento 352
San Diego 15
San Jose/SF Bay 296
San Pedro 444
Santa Barbara 688
San Bernardino 689
Sunnyvale 138
Westlake Village 4

Colorado
Arvada 51
Broomfield 12
Delta 654
Denver 66
Montrose 60
southern 344

Connecticut
Ellington 595
Kent 213

Delaware
Newark 394
Wilmington 394

Florida

Gainsville 13
Holiday 102
Palm Bay 314
Pensacola 54
Tampa 639

Georgia
Columbus 510

Illinois
Danville 83
Fox Lake 79
Mokena 646
Sterling 81

Indiana
Indianapolis 18
Vincennes 28
Wabash 82

Iowa
Des Moines 132
Cedar Rapids 575

Japan
Okinawa 45

Kansas
Wichita 116

Kentucky
Murray, Mayfield 498

Louisiana
Lake Charles 293
Minden 126

Maryland metro DC 20

Massachussetts
Boston 282
Chicopee 8
Fall River 73
Haverhill 47
Methuen 349
Marlborough 5
Norwood 119,121

Michigan

Blissfield 44
Farmington Hills 683
Grand Rapids 239
Jackson 286,287
Kalamazoo 23
Lansing 286,287
Mt. Pleasant 644

Minnesota
Eden Prairie 250
Harris 19
Maple Grove 104
St. Paul 36

Mississippi
Tupelo 601

Nebraska
Omaha 26

New Jersey

Bridgeton 301
Hamilton 231
Point Pleasant 441,540
South Jersey 387

New Mexico
Las Cruces 678
Farmington 355

New York
Bronx 509
Baldwinsville 39
Cortland 370,393,538
Lockport 668
New York 53
Pendleton 438
Syosset 375
Syracuse 37,393

North Carolina
Asheboro 57
Asheville 17,497
Bern 251
Greenville 27
Mcleansville 48
Mt. Gilead 578
Rocky Mount 533
Troy 578
Wilmington 358

Ohio

Akron 445
Columbus 3
Willard 315

Oklahoma
Oklahoma City 403
Purcell 454
Wayne 454

Oregon

Eugene 22
Portland 212, 447

Pennsylvania

Burgettstown 588
New Cumberland 65
Philadelphia 197
Stanton 9

Rhode Island

Johnston 389

South Carolina
Columbia 660
Goose Creek 369

South Dakota
Rapid City 136,178,220

Texas
Austin 686
Copperas Cove 424
Dallas 49, 395
Forney 395
Harker Heights 424
Killeen 424
Nolanville 61,209, 424
North Richland Hills 113

United Kingdom 117
Hackney 553
London 546
Nottingham 118

Utah
SLC 64

Virginia

Ashburn 485
Fort Belvoir 523 603
Marysvale 550
Norfolk 658

Washington
Renton 252
Spokane 582
Vancouver 447

West Virginia
Martinsburg 687

Wisconsin
Eau Claire 419,422
Glow 422

For a map of local instructors or to volunteer to help others in our hobby, please see this thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?t=1833619b Frank will be more than happy to add you to his list. Just let him know you would like to volunteer. If you don't see any mentors close to you, please check back as new mentors are being added to the map all the time.
Last edited by Chatenever; May 03, 2022 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Add instructor
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2006, 10:45 AM
Good idea. I think RCUniverse offers something like that on their forum.
Jul 11, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wonderful idea!
Im in
Jul 11, 2006, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Chateneve
Yesterday, I taught a newby to fly his Easy Star (Yes, he was a very fast learner). I had contacted him to offer my assistance when I noticed on RC Groups that he lived very close me. It was a very satisfying experience for him because he was successful, and for me, teaching is something that I enjoy doing.Whaddya think?
I was that "newby" that Bob was talking about in this thread! I have to say that it was a complete joy to work with such a patient and careful instructor. With his help I learned more in a couple hours than I would have "learned" crashing planes by myself!

I think this is an important part of an exploding hobby and will serve all of us well in the future. In a sense, we need as many "ambassadors" as possible to help grow this sport while providing safe and enjoyable times for all involved. I shudder to think what could happen if wreckless modelers in the near future 'cause issues to hurt people or property. It's important to note that I'm not just talking about "flying", I'm also talking about the care and use of our lipo batteries which could 'cause significant damage if incorrectly and improperly utilized.

What attracted me most to this hobby is the fact that I can go to my local park and fly whenever I want to. Can you imagine if this freedom becomes restricted in the future because of an uninformed and unsafe minority?

I encourage all of you to PM and email your other friends on this board such that we can all get the "word" out.

I for one am SOLD on the concept! I actually have an INTACT EZ Star that will (fingers crossed) fly many more uneventful days for me!

Sincerely,
Pete
Jul 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
I've taught two people to fly so far, and am actively working with two more at the moment. I enjoy helping other people learn how to fly much more then I enjoy flying alone. I'd be happy to be included in this directory if it comes into existance.

If you live within a resonable driving distance of Sudbury, MA and want help with your plane, feel free to send me a PM or email.

Interests: Electric planes
Last edited by BrianRickman; Jul 13, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
Jul 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Last edited by asm_; Sep 23, 2008 at 03:09 AM.
Jul 13, 2006, 08:40 AM
Thread OP

Suggested Instructor Posting Format

Ok ... so it looks as if this thread is going to be the directory. I suggest that instructors who volunteer state both the nearest large city and areas of interest. For example, for me ...

Interests: Electric planes, slope soaring.

In this way, a beginner can search the thread for a city, and then select an instructor (if there is more than one) with the appropriate interests.
Jul 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
Krued Up
i'm in
Springfield massachusetts

electric flight

Angel ruiz
Jul 13, 2006, 09:26 AM
Im in also:

SW Pa.

South of Pittsburgh Pa.

Electric

PM me for directions

...Keith...
Jul 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
Hopefully this thread grows and becomes a sticky. I am not offering to teach to fly as I am self taught (learning), getting quite adept at rebuilding after crashes, so that would be my strong point, lol. I wish I was able to just go to a thread and pick some help to get started.

I got into this hobby last fall. Treed my Challenger right off the get go. I then went and paid for a MAAC membership, and went to one of the two local flying clubs. No choice as one was closed due to resodding. Anyway, all nitro guys and after all the gee I can't fly that thing and don't know if we can fly 27mhz here, finally someone flew it for me. Proved that it flew at least. Then they said they did have a guy into electric and would set me up with him for training. Paid my dues and never heard from the club till spring when I got renewal notice for my pocketbook, so I have since ignored that club. The other club in town I have not been to but when inquiring at LHS members informed me it is mainly nitro heli now. Bottom line here is it seems in my area the clubs around here don't embrace electric fliers. So far the best help I have come across is a nitro heli guy that flies in the abandoned dump that I frequent to fly. He had never flown a plane just heli's but seemed to be able to move from heli to plane no problem and all his advice really did pay dividends.

So, just wanted to say this is a great idea for a thread, and a good reason for newbies to take note that putting your location on your profile is a good idea. I have even had one of the regulars on here that lives about an hour and a half away be good enough to have me over for an afternoon. You can really fast track the learning process when you hook up with some experienced modellers compared to hours of reading threads to learn.
Jul 13, 2006, 09:40 AM
God - Family - R/C
Hey everybody,

I love to teach and have taught many since 1986 or so.

Interest: Electric airplanes, slope soaring, Helicopters

Greg Holmes
Jul 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield CO
Electrics
Buddy box
I have wooden templates for several of the popular beg/int aircraft on RC Groups and am happy to help build, setup, and fly.
PM me
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Moved
Jul 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
Brandon Evers
Gainesville, FL

Electrics & sailplanes

PM me for directions.

-Brandon
Jul 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
Birmingham, Alabama

Electrics, 3D but not very well..LOL and Sport / Fast Delta's

Have not taught many people, but willing to learn...
seriously, I am training my co-worker right now and have several other friends who want to learn. It's always good to have a new person interested in this hobby

Bo
Jul 13, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'm in San Diego and fly electric.

Gibby

Quick Reply