Jan 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
I and MS composit both opted for the slowflyer prop. It is lightweight which is important for getting the correct center of gravity.

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2007, 09:12 PM
Rotorhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1
I'm sure the AXI performs better but a hundred dollars better??? The GWS setup was only $30.
The $130 is for the Swift II wing + AXi motor + JETI 12 amp brushless ESC...
And over here - in Europe - everything is always more expensive... That's just the way things are...

By the way, are there any parts in the (Swift) kit to mount outrunners in a pushing configuration?
Jan 30, 2007, 12:31 AM
db1
db1
don betz
Oops! I guess it would help if I read a little more carefully eh? I guess I'm just excited by how much fun this plane is for so little money. SWIFT II = $35, 2 HS-55's = $20, GWS BL motor and ESC = $30, Corona rx $17, 3S TP910 = $28
Jan 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yes, it comes with everything you need to mount an outrunner. Still no end to the good news, eh.

Brian
Jan 30, 2007, 04:07 PM
Rotorhead
That's just great!

And now I'm pondering battery weight.
I already have some 7,4V Lipos, 850 mAh, 15C (12 amps)... they weigh about 45g.
The smallest 11,1V I can find are 1200 mAh, 10C (also 12 amps)... but their weight is 95g!

I get this feeling I would really need larger 2-cells and/or smaller 3-cells to balance this thing...

Brian, now is the time for you to chime in with some good news - like "It doesn't matter, this wing balances perfectly with batteries of any size or weight"

Please!
Jan 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
Well, the battery that I know of that balances the wing perfectly is a Thunder Power 3 cell 1320mah. The TP 3 cell weighs 85g. So I guess you could use whatever you want as long as you stay around 90g.

Brian
Feb 03, 2007, 12:24 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Thread OP
Eh eh!
I forgot i started this thread!
It's cool to see much action around this cool wing.
Mine is still flying, after i had a small accident with it and breaking in half one of the wings.
I was climbing with it after launch and it completly shutdown at middle, i think it was the esc that shutdown due to the heat or current. I was using a GWs esc-300.
But after some epoxy it's perfect again.
I haven't changed the motor, only the prop. I was using one from GWS but i notice that despite the low power of the brushed motor the prop bent at high speed. So i bought a APC, and now it's way better much more torque i'm having much more vert speed.
It's not unlimited vert but for a brushed motor it's a awesome performance.

Next stop is a brushless motor, despite i keep saying i'll not change i want to! I need more powerrrr.....
Feb 04, 2007, 11:54 PM

Newb needs advice

Hey guys,

I was directed over here by Db1. I just finished building my Swift II Russian. It came in at 285g AUW(with lipo?). I set it up with parts I had lying around (except the motor& Rx). Specs for my wing are:

JGF 300DF 2200Kv
CC Thunderbird 18
TP 3s 1320 ProLite
TowerPro 9g servos
Corona 4ch Rx

So I headed to the park and tossed it in the air with no throttle. I couldn't believe it gilded so nicely. Tossed it a second time an applied power. She flew pretty good to my amazement. After some slight trimming on my 7CHP I flies nice and straight. I have a couple of questions though.

1. When I apply power it wants to climb. With no/little power it flies flat. What is the cause of this? I'm assuming the motor must not be at the correct angle? The motor mount is just glued flat to the top like everyone else's; exactly like the instructions say.

2. I'm running a JGF 30DF(2200Kv) with 6x3 and 5x4.3 GWS direct drive props. If I give it full throttle the prop blades go out of track (This is the best way for me to explain it as I'm a heli guy and this is my first plane). What could be the cause for this? I did have to drill the center of the prop out bigger to fit the prop on the prop adapter. I wasn't able to drill the hole perfectly strainght so it isn't perfectly true. Does this have something to do with the tracking or could it just be that I'm using the incorrect type of prop for this particular motor? I tried two different 6x3 and got the same results. I plan to try the 5x4.3 tomorrow.

I'm new to planes but I have to say that this wing is super easy to fly however, it doesn't have enough power for my taste. My Trex450 flies faster than this thing! It cant even get any vert. Probably due to the prop issues I'm having though. Do you think the 5x4.3 will work better and give me more speed?

Thanks for the input.

Sloonz
Feb 05, 2007, 03:16 PM
Alright, I tried the 5x4.3 today and it now can fly WOT. It's faster but I still want more. It now has some vert but I need more of that too.

I inspected the 6x prop and found that is must have been bending under WOT. The plastic is white in color (the prop is black) at the base of blade where it connects to the center. I think I might need a fiber prop.
Apr 24, 2007, 02:31 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Thread OP
Hi everyone!

My swift it's still flying and very well!
I kept my setup, despite being low, the brushed speed 400 and a APC 5.5x4.5 prop.

And it does wonders, the noise it makes flying most of the ppl thinks i'm using a brushless motor!
GWS props that bend!!! no more!
May 14, 2007, 02:44 AM

First Wing

Hi All
Got my fisrt wing this w/end and kitted it as follows:
- Bp21 outrunner
- Bp15 controller
- GWS 8043 soft prop
- 8x 750mah Nmh cells
- 2x Eflite 5g servos

The Swift II builds in minutes and I was surprised with its stability and roll rate (even at recommended throughs), but expected a lot more performance.

As is.....it's a nice park flier, but it needs at lot more attitude. Maybe a 3 cell lipo and a smaller prop. What do you think?

I did not like the cut outs for all the equipment on the bottom, and moved the wiring and control horns & rods to the top, to keep it out of harms way.
Last edited by Hydrocat; May 17, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
May 14, 2007, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocat
Hi All
Got my fisrt wing this w/end and kitted it as follows:
- Bp21 outrunner
- Bp15 controller
- GWS 8043 soft prop
- 8x 750mah Nmh cells
- 2x Eflite 5g servos

The Swift II builds in minutes and I was surprised with its stability and roll rate (even at recommended throughs), but expected a lot more perforformance.

As is.....it's a nice park flier, but it needs at lot more attitude. Maybe a 3 cell lipo and a smaller prop. What do you think?

I did not like the cut outs for all the equipment on the bottom, and moved the wiring and control horns & rods to the top, to keep it out of harms way.

Nice job on moving those control rods on top, I should have done this on mine. I used a 300 e-flight outrunner, 7X5 prop, and a 3 cell 1320 lipo and it was not bad, nothing blitering speed ,but zippy for a parkflyer. I don't think you could put too much power on these without adding a spar or stiffening the airframe some. Try the lipos, it'll give it a lot more punch, those NiMH are heavy as well. I've also used the DN 900 3 cells, only around $20, they work well on these little planes also.
May 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
Peace
I outfitted mine with a 400 outrunner, an 1800mAh lipo and an 8x6 prop. It'll climb to the clouds in a few seconds. As Rich said, I had to add carbon spars...
Jun 10, 2007, 12:09 PM

Swift II Wing - proper setup

Seems to be a lot of suggested setups. I just ordered one and have the following "spare parts" on hand. Can anyone recommend what combination of these spares I should use for some slow to medium performance? or, what I need to get to compliment what I have? - I am new to wings:
I have these "parts"

E-flite 370 brushless - 1360 kv motor, draws 9-10 amps
Eskay 400xt motor - 950 Kv, draws 10-12 amps
18 amp brushless ESC with 2 amp bec
E-flite S-75 micro servos - 17.2 oz/in torque
Spektrum DX 6 TX & Rx.

Also what prop to use ?

Thanks Hal
Jun 13, 2007, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrHal
Seems to be a lot of suggested setups. I just ordered one and have the following "spare parts" on hand. Can anyone recommend what combination of these spares I should use for some slow to medium performance? or, what I need to get to compliment what I have? - I am new to wings:
I have these "parts"

E-flite 370 brushless - 1360 kv motor, draws 9-10 amps
Eskay 400xt motor - 950 Kv, draws 10-12 amps
18 amp brushless ESC with 2 amp bec
E-flite S-75 micro servos - 17.2 oz/in torque
Spektrum DX 6 TX & Rx.

Also what prop to use ?

Thanks Hal

The servos are fine, if the Esky motor is an outrunner I'd use that with a 7X5 prop. I use a 300 size outrunner on 3 cell lipo's and it makes for a nice parkflyer, not too fast but very zippy. The Swift is not a bullet like a brushless zagi type wing, it's main advantage (I think) is it can fly very slow, and turn very close in, it can be flown indoors easily. The Rx should be ok as well.

Quick Reply