Oct 03, 2010, 09:51 PM

light glass

I am flying mine with 1/2 glass put on with wbpu, one short 1x6 carbon flat spar between the servos, and a little screamer, mounted to a magic motor mount glued on with goop, with a 3 cell 800mah lipo. I am at an all up weight of 10.4 ounces. For night flying i have 1 meter of hobby king blue leds on the top of the wing and one meter of amber on the bottom, the pic I am posting is from the NEAT fair, it is me flying in thru and around the saturday night fireworks display, credit for the photo goes to stan, I downloaded it from his post here on rcg.

The reason I replied, is that you can get a really strong, and stiff wing and never have to re-cover the tape again, PLUS the wbpu really brings out the graphics and makes the screen print pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
LOL, the so called manual is lame, but you don't need much with the Swift II. Mine fly's naked with no spar or tape. However, I don't see any problems with using the tape. I kinda like it flexy so when I schmack mother earth it bounces nicely. Another option would be to use twine / kite string, and cut a slit top and bottom directly over each other, but don't go all the way through. Slide in the string, apply thin CA and let it harden. This does wonders on stiffening. Have done this on several 3D EPP foamy models and it always impresses me how lite and strong it is.

Hope you enjoy it!

Diggs
Last edited by cgoffa; Oct 04, 2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: add photo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2010, 08:05 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
Thanks for this thread guys...I just ordered the "swift patrol" wing from my LHS and now need to buy components. So i've looked around a bit in this thread and i've seen the recommendation from diggs on motor set up. i use the same motor(1500 i think) for my yak 55 and love it. i like the idea of keeping it light but i think i want a little more speed than the 2730 can deliver. does anyone have any other recommended tried and true motor, esc, battery, prop set ups for a little more omph? i prefer to order from HK or hobbypartz when it comes to components. also if one where to use tape what is the tape that i keep seeing that's being used... it looks like clear duct tape or something?
Oct 05, 2010, 09:31 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
Thanks for this thread guys...I just ordered the "swift patrol" wing from my LHS and now need to buy components. So i've looked around a bit in this thread and i've seen the recommendation from diggs on motor set up. i use the same motor(1500 i think) for my yak 55 and love it. i like the idea of keeping it light but i think i want a little more speed than the 2730 can deliver. does anyone have any other recommended tried and true motor, esc, battery, prop set ups for a little more omph? i prefer to order from HK or hobbypartz when it comes to components. also if one where to use tape what is the tape that i keep seeing that's being used... it looks like clear duct tape or something?
I would look at this..
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...=MD2505-C-1845

Diggs
Oct 05, 2010, 09:41 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Timocharis <Dave North> builds very nice motors, one of his Micro Dan re-winds or posted forsale by other seller.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...ery=Timocharis

Dave showed me the ropes of re-winding, but I cannot do it as good as he does... So I buy them from him.
Oct 05, 2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Timocharis <Dave North> builds very nice motors, one of his Micro Dan re-winds or posted forsale by other seller.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...ery=Timocharis

Dave showed me the ropes of re-winding, but I cannot do it as good as he does... So I buy them from him.
+1 on that suggestion. His motors are also top notch.

Diggs
Oct 06, 2010, 12:05 AM
Hey diggs does your suggested setup give unlimited vertical? and thanks for the links but i was hoping for a motor from HK that might give me some good speed... i looked at the scm3223 1200kv set up but that motor is out of stock... any other ideas.
And the hxt900 are out of stock at HK so what's the next best thing from them... lots of choices to choose from any opinions. Thanks again guys.
Oct 06, 2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Hey diggs does your suggested setup give unlimited vertical? and thanks for the links but i was hoping for a motor from HK that might give me some good speed... i looked at the scm3223 1200kv set up but that motor is out of stock... any other ideas.
And the hxt900 are out of stock at HK so what's the next best thing from them... lots of choices to choose from any opinions. Thanks again guys.
This motor stock from Hobby City puts out between 17 and 18 ounces of thrust with an 8X4 and if your build is like most around 9 ounces that is 2 to 1 power over weight.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...s_Motor_1500kv
I put these servos in mine, metal gear 14 gram
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303
Oct 06, 2010, 10:17 AM
so now i'm slightly confused is the 2730 1500kv faster than the 1700kv? man i suddenly feel like a newbie again. of course i really never have motor shopped before.
Oct 06, 2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
That motor is what the ritewing guys are flying on their 44" IYF wings, which is heavier. I would think this motor on a Swift II would be pretty ballistic. Vertical shouldn't be a problem in the least seeing what these do on the IYF's. The IYF is a better choice for speed than the swift II IMO. I haven't tried this motor on the Swift II, but the fact it is only 10 or so grams heavier than the blue wonders, it should be a perfect match if you want some speed and thrust. Sorry, don't really have a suggestion for the Hobby City option. I would look to find something that has been hand rewound.

Diggs
Oct 06, 2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
so now i'm slightly confused is the 2730 1500kv faster than the 1700kv? man i suddenly feel like a newbie again. of course i really never have motor shopped before.
not really, higher Kv needs a smaller prop but the end result if set up properly you can get the same results. It is all about having an efficent set up, good power, long flight time. A Watt meter is your friend no matter what motor you choose, you just need to dial it in with prop and lipo. They are cheap, buy a couple different Kv and set it up to you liking.
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Oct 06, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Oct 06, 2010, 02:25 PM
hey thanks for all the help guys! i decided, since the hxt900's were back in stock and moving fast ,that i would place an order before the servo's got back ordered again. So i went with the 2730 set up... i bought both the 1500 and 1700 i know i can always use the spare on another yak 55. Now it's time to sit and wait for the orders to come in. i do have a watt and amp meter so i will be using that to check stuff out... by the way whats the max amps and watts that the 2730's can take? i don't trust the HK specs because i know they can handle a 3s battery but that's not in the specs.
Oct 06, 2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
hey thanks for all the help guys! i decided, since the hxt900's were back in stock and moving fast ,that i would place an order before the servo's got back ordered again. So i went with the 2730 set up... i bought both the 1500 and 1700 i know i can always use the spare on another yak 55. Now it's time to sit and wait for the orders to come in. i do have a watt and amp meter so i will be using that to check stuff out... by the way whats the max amps and watts that the 2730's can take? i don't trust the HK specs because i know they can handle a 3s battery but that's not in the specs.
They are typically very close to HK spec, those motors cant take much over 10 amps, no matter the cell count, for any time period, 3S @11 volts, 110 watts is the max they typically will put out. Trick is to get the Watts up, but keep the Volts up as close to 11 as possible. Always give yourself room on the ESC for spikes and such, 15 amp is a good idea for something like this if you plan to run wide open all the time.
Oct 06, 2010, 04:54 PM

Swift Night Flyer 2

Here's a video of my Swift I "night flyer" :

RCModelMB LED UFO Wing SWIFT - Night Flying Mladá Boleslav (4 min 52 sec)

37 LED
RAY C2826/18
prop. 8x3,8,
2x HITEC HS55
JETI ECO 18
3s 800mA 20C
Oct 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCModelMB View Post
Here's a video of my Swift I "night flyer" :

37 LED