Jul 06, 2006, 07:38 AM
Question

Sig Kadet MkII

Long long ago I built a Sig Kadet MkII with an old Futaba AM set (was old even when I got it used) and a K&B .40 as my primary trainer. A lot of things got in the way, and I only flew it a few times. I've gotten the R/C flight bug again, and am looking into an electric parkflyer style trainer to get started again. However, I couldn't help but take the old Kadet down from the attic the other day and look her over. Aside from some sag/wrinkling here and there in the monokote, she doesn't look too bad, and I'm wondering what she would need to be converted to electric power. Not as my first trainer - I'm going to get an ARF or RTF plane to bang up first - but for later on down the road.

Has anyone here done such a conversion on Kadet Mk II?

Thanks,
Doug
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2006, 08:05 AM
Account closed
Okay, I found a web site that contains more detail information of this model..

http://www.larchlanehobbies.com/RC/A...kadet_mkii.htm

It seems to be very light and a super trainer.....assuming you are going to fly her like a trainer then, you can take advantage of inexpensive yet effective Brushed motors that are available on eBay!

Recommended Engines:
.25-.40 cu. in. 2-Stroke
Wingspan: 57-1/4 in.
Wing Area: 635 sq. in.
Weight: 5 lbs.
Length: 44-1/4 in.
Wing Loading: 18 oz./sq. ft.
Radio Required: 4-Channel

You can easily power her using the very reliable and very inexpensive Astro Flight 035 7-Turn #603 in the Super Box sporting 4.36:1 ratio and swinging a large 13 X 8 APC "Sport" or "E" Propeller providing more than 5 1/2 lbs. of thrust while using the 4S2P Li-POLYs!

Here's where you can get one Astro Flight 035 with super box....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Astro-Flight-Cob...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!
Jul 06, 2006, 08:27 AM
Account closed
Going with the letter of the law according to the maximum cell count, I would first try this Astro Flight 035 7-turn #603S motor with 8-Cells, GP-3700mAH, Ni-MH's and the same APC "Sport" or "E" 13 X 8 propeller.....

Yields a little over 3 lbs. of static thrust and good airspeed.

Edit: I would call ASTRO and ask what is the maximum AMP draw for this motor....I would think it is 27 AMPs
Jul 06, 2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks!