Jul 05, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP
Discussion

"Real Balls" progress update

I have had some difficulty in getting the CNC lathe work done on the "Real Balls" finned brushcap. I don't really want to make them without the trademark fins.
Good news, I have it that the lathe work for the finned brushcaps will be started this week. This means that I will be shipping gold anodized "Real Balls" by the end of July.
Those of you that are on the "I want Real Balls" list will have first crack at them.
I will be sending out an announcement when I'm ready for you to send $$$ very soon.
I excited about getting a new batch of "RB" out to you all! I might even have to go fly TD again, as I've been mostly hanging out on the slopes these days. Now, where did I stash that ICON?

Thanks for your patience

Doug Boyd
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2006, 11:55 AM
I've always wondered about the need for fins on the brush endcap. It just doesn't seem like the bearing or brushes would put out much heat (or, at least they SHOULDN'T be putting out much heat), and the amount of heat being transferred from the field coils is severely limited by the small cross-section of the case between the cutouts for the brushes. Do the fins really do much to cool the motor?

Regardless, they sure look cool.

Back in the early '90s, I built a Ford longshaft winch motor with a 12-volt muffin fan mounted on the ball-bearing brush endcap. That really made a difference according to the fellow I built it for.

Roger
Jul 07, 2006, 02:10 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP

Cooling fins and COOL FINS

The fins are mostly for COOL, and some cooling. You are correct that there isn't much heat that the fins can draw away. When I first designes "Real Balls" some 15 years ago, I wanted the brushcap to look like a model engine cylinder head, complete with a grease fitting where the glow plug would be.

Everyone liked the finned brushcap, so I stuck with it. The big heat reduction is the management of the thrust load generated whenever the motor turns.
The stock motor armature is held in place by a cast boss that rubs on the armature. This is maybe ok for sporadic duty starting your old pickup, but hardly a good idea for an all-day contest.

I made a few brushcaps with no fins, and got a big ho-hum from the sailplane crowd. I even went the muffin fan route as you did, and that worked pretty well, but in practice, the poor little fan kept getting smashed when folks abused the winch tossing it into the truck, etc...

Rogerflies, I've seen some of your work here on the RCG, very nice.

I just got back from my CNC lathe shop, and my brushcaps should be done by Monday. Sooo, I'm just a little bit ahead of schedule. "Real Balls" on the way!

Doc
Jul 16, 2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP

Next stop, Anodize tank...

Got the drilling and tapping underway on the brushcaps. These will be polished a bit, then sent to the anodize shop for some gold color.

Getting very close...

Doc
Jul 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP
"Real Balls" Ball bearing endcaps for the Ford Longshaft starter motor are available now.
Check my post in the sailplanes "for sale" section

Thanks for looking!

Doc

Quick Reply