Jul 05, 2006, 11:05 AM
crashinator
Thread OP
Discussion

Great planes super skybolt bipe arf

Im interested in this bipe and was looking for some input, if anyone has experience with this 57 inch bipe it would be great to hear it!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2006, 08:26 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I had the original years ago and loved it. I want one of the new ones.
Jul 09, 2006, 03:41 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
I also had one for a while, right after GP released them. Great flyer. The airframe wasn't the lightest, but I was still flying glow then, so I wasn't as concerned about heavy airframes.

Rick
Sep 22, 2015, 09:08 AM
The arf is a very light bipe. I have 2 flights so far. I am having trouble with noseover. The planes cg is right on the money. Am powering with a Saito 100. I would not recommend this plane for the average flyer.
Sep 22, 2015, 03:38 PM
I have had one for about five years with an OS 61 SF in it. It flies great. I have had no problems with nose overs and an average pilot should have no problem flying it.

Bruce
Sep 28, 2015, 05:23 PM
deanz406
I have both versions- and older original kit built one, and the newer ARF. I like them both. The older kit built one is about 20 or so yrs old, a little heavier with a completely sheeted fuselage and painted. I have a pumped OS 61SF long stroke in it, and it flies exceptionally well with that powerplant. The newer one is the ARF that I purchased at a swap meet that was wrecked(mostly cowl and firewall), that I rebuilt(article under "crash discussion", jan 2015), and it is also powered with an OS61SF. Its about 7 1/2 lbs after repairs, and the old kit built one goes almost 9#. I enjoy them both, and they will do just about anything I want. I don't 3D, just sport fly them both, and work on pattern routines with them. Very stable, rock solid flyers, smooth takeoffs, and predictable nice landings. Dean
May 07, 2019, 07:32 PM
Looking to buy a great planes super skybolt arf. Any leads?
May 08, 2019, 01:23 PM
deanz406
Good luck trying to find one, although there is someone out there probably hoarding one or two. It's a shame that they quit making them, but market sales is always the indicator whether they keep making them. They had a good run for 12-15 yrs, but the price when I got mine was $330.00 at tower Hobbies, so not too cheap. I bought the one pictured as a wreck, and refurbished it, and after getting it maidened, it flew perfectly. I held on to the new one, until last year, and then sold it. I just saw one that went for $450.00, so that gives u an idea of what ur looking at. You might consider keeping ur eye open at swap shops, and auctions for one, either an ARF, or a kit built one. Even a new GP Super Skybolt kit on EBay went for almost $300.00. Good luck with ur search-- Dean
May 10, 2019, 02:49 PM
Hi Dean, did you like the way the kit versions' inter-plane struts are designed. I have the kit, and it looks like it might be problematic to tweak, and get everything aliened correctly. Thanks, Jim
May 12, 2019, 04:11 PM
deanz406

Skybolt Kit VS ARF

Hi Jim- Well, The ARF has a slick setup with thumbscrews to attach struts, but with the kit build, I epoxied 1/8" ply plates to the inside of the 3rd rib from the wing tip. I drilled a small hole, enough to install a 6-32 blind nut to bolt to. The key is to have both wings and fuse built with the cabane. The kit uses a different cabane setup, in that the upper wing slides onto the cabane wire. After u bolt on the lower wing to fuse, u have to measure the gap between the 2 wings, and build ur strut. You should set up the upper wing with an incidence meter with a -1*- 1/1/2* negative incidence.
I think u will find in the kit that the struts use a wire attachment to slide the struts into a slotted section in both wings. My 1st kit built one used that setup, which was a PIA to get the wings assembled and attached to the fuse, while sliding the struts into the slots. The yellow/black one pictured above, I did away with that setup for the bolt on style. Look over ur plans and instruction manual to get familiar with how they tell u how to build, and make changes that u find easier to simplify. Here are a couple pics of the 2 styles- the ARF, and the Kit built one. Let me know if this helps-- Dean
May 15, 2019, 03:50 PM
Thanks Dean, when I looked at the kit plans, the inter-plane strut set-up and top wing attachment looked like it would be a pita, to build and use. If I get around to building it I'll need to re-design it. I did buy the ARF, but that one also has problems with firewall failures, according to the ARF thread, but the covering job is the best I've seen, bar none. I haven't built or flown an ARF, all my planes are ether kit or scratch built, maybe I'll fix the firewall and assemble the Skybolt ARF! Thanks for posting the detailed pictures, very helpful. Jim
May 16, 2019, 12:44 PM
deanz406
Jim- Here is a link to my article on how I refurbished the wrecked ARF that I bought. You might find it a good read for improving the structural integrity of ur Skybolt ARF. It was a very rewarding improvement, and now I don't have to worry about structural failures. Dean

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Shop-Purchase
Jul 14, 2019, 04:59 AM
Hey Guys, I lost my GP Super Skybolt today due to a flutter.... I would like to buy another NIB kit if there are any available.... pls let me know.
Jul 23, 2019, 07:13 PM
deanz406
Edwill- How badly is it damaged?? Do u have any salvagable pieces??

Quick Reply