Thread Tools
Jul 05, 2006, 01:50 AM
Registered User
dhflyer's Avatar
Discussion

Help! Is this LIPO Dead??


Need some advice. A friend, new to electric, overdischarged his brand new TP 2100 3S to below 3 volts per cell. He told me it wouldn't charge on his celectra(?) charger.

We checked the individual cell voltage and found:
2.30 V
2.84 V
2.95 V

I have a triton charger and a TP balancer and was wondering if I could somehow use the balancer to revive the battery. I was also thinking of charging each cell individually at a low rate to bring them up to 3.0V and then use the triton from there. I don't have a female plug for the TP tap but was planning to very carefully removing the wires and connecting my charger via aligator clips. The other alternative would be to find a female plug with wires to connect to.

Am I on the right track here or is there someway to use the balancer to revive this battery? Can someone give me advice here?

Thanks for your help on this.

DH
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2006, 09:12 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Set Triton to Ni Cad and 0.1A and charge until voltage reaches 10 volts then switch over to 3S LiPoly(Li -Ion) 11.1V and 0.3A charge rate. When the battery reaches 11 -11.5 volts connect the TP Balancer and let it continue to charge.

Do not leave the battery while the Ni Cad setting is being used.If you forget it you will most likely experience the oftn spoken of vent with flames.

This battery most likely will have reduced capacity and also will not hold volts under load as well as it did before this over discharge event.


Charles
Jul 05, 2006, 11:24 AM
Registered User
dhflyer's Avatar
Charles - Thanks for the advice on this, I'll give it a try. Also many thanks for all of your insight on batteries in general on this forum. I've learned a lot reading your posts.

DH
Jul 05, 2006, 01:49 PM
Über Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Set Triton to Ni Cad and 0.1A and charge until voltage reaches 10 volts then switch over to 3S LiPoly(Li -Ion) 11.1V and 0.3A charge rate. When the battery reaches 11 -11.5 volts connect the TP Balancer and let it continue to charge.

Do not leave the battery while the Ni Cad setting is being used.If you forget it you will most likely experience the oftn spoken of vent with flames.

This battery most likely will have reduced capacity and also will not hold volts under load as well as it did before this over discharge event.


Charles
I'm kind of glad I kept my Triton. I keep seeing little gems like these that make it worth having it around. Any other things you use your Triton for (that are out of the ordinary)?
Jul 05, 2006, 04:25 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj
I'm kind of glad I kept my Triton. I keep seeing little gems like these that make it worth having it around. Any other things you use your Triton for (that are out of the ordinary)?
Well while I do not recommend it I use them to deliberately overcharge LiPolys during testing.

A more practical and safer usage is to discharge LiPolys to a suitable storage voltage. If you use the Li setting you are limited to multiplies of 3V but the Triton can not tell a LiPoly from a Ni Cad or NiMH battery. You can therefore set the discharge to voltage to most anything such as 9.6V for a 3S LiPoly which results in much closer to an ideal storage voltage.

Charles
Jul 05, 2006, 04:47 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
tww1fa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
A more practical and safer usage is to discharge LiPolys to a suitable storage voltage. If you use the Li setting you are limited to multiplies of 3V but the Triton can not tell a LiPoly from a Ni Cad or NiMH battery. You can therefore set the discharge to voltage to most anything such as 9.6V for a 3S LiPoly which results in much closer to an ideal storage voltage.

Charles
What discharge rate do you recommend for this? 1C? 2C? 1/2C?
Jul 05, 2006, 07:10 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Well the Triton is very limited wattage wise when it comes to discharge rates and is based on volts times amps. the higher the volts the fewer the amps.

Depending on the C rating of the LiPoly the higher the discharge rate the more the voltage will bounch back up when the load is removed. If you use a very low rate there will be very little bounch. Since I set my ESC s to 3.2 per cell for most of my aircraft I tend to use 3.2 per cell on the Triton. This often results in a resting voltage of approx. 3.8 per cell. If it is much higher I just reduce the discharge rate and start tjhe cycle over.
There is no such thing as a LVC setting that will result in an exact open(resting) voltage at different discharge rate or even the same discharge rate with different C rate LiPolys.


Charles
Jul 06, 2006, 09:34 AM
Permanently Banned
U cannot restore a HOT overdischarge LIPO pack due to its diminished capacity

check how much capacity is left, if 90% then its OKAY
Jul 06, 2006, 12:22 PM
Registered User
dhflyer's Avatar

It Worked!


Hey Charles -

Thanks again for the tip. It worked like a charm. The pack came right up to 10V on the nicad setting, then I switched to 0.3A rate on the lipo setting and it came right up to 11V.

This is the good part - I checked the balance and it was right on so I finished the charge at the regular rate no problem.

Now to see if the pack will perform ok.

Don
Apr 03, 2007, 03:11 PM
Registered User

This tip worked like a champ for me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Set Triton to Ni Cad and 0.1A and charge until voltage reaches 10 volts then switch over to 3S LiPoly(Li -Ion) 11.1V and 0.3A charge rate. When the battery reaches 11 -11.5 volts connect the TP Balancer and let it continue to charge.

Do not leave the battery while the Ni Cad setting is being used.If you forget it you will most likely experience the oftn spoken of vent with flames.

This battery most likely will have reduced capacity and also will not hold volts under load as well as it did before this over discharge event.


Charles
Following this recomendation using my "Pro Peak Prodigy II" charger, I set it to NiCd at .1A and charged my 4-cell LiPo to 13 volts, then switched it to its standard LiPo settings to take it the rest of the way up.

It worked like a champ. The battery is strong and feels like it has the same lifespan while flying as it had before.

Thanks!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Help - Is my Lipo dead? oh_my_god Mini Helis 7 Jan 27, 2007 04:19 PM
For Sale help this lipo!!!!!! kogibankole Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 6 May 19, 2006 01:25 AM
Can I save this LiPo??? Please help! Nate129 Batteries and Chargers 8 Sep 10, 2005 12:17 PM
Need Help. Is this LiPo OK? BoneDoc Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 0 Nov 01, 2004 10:05 PM
Help solving this LIPO mystery Mike Parsons Batteries and Chargers 13 Jun 05, 2003 02:42 PM