Jul 04, 2006, 12:21 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Thread OP
Discussion

Light Twin Jet Maiden!

I had a Twin Jet years ago. Built it stock and it was heavy on 8 1300 cells. I always missed it after I sold it. Hobby LObby put it on sale with the Micro Jet and I ordered a couple up.

I finished the Micro Jet first thanks to Steve Davidson who hooked me up with a CDR motor. Its Fast and LIGHT as well, under 8 ounces with the 3s 730 pack. It launches with ease with a light toss and will actually do a cool elevator decent power off because its so light.

Based on that success, I decided to go LIGHT on the TJ as well.
Stock they say is 32 ounces with lipos... Mine came out at 23 Ounces!

I used 2 Speed wound Micro Dan 2505 motors, 2 Thunderbird 18 controllers, and 2 3s 1320 packs.

I am testing with GWS 4.5x4 props. I was just playing with them, but found the test thrust to be impressive so I decided to maiden with them.

For the launch:
There was NO bad tendencies, full power has enough thrust to launch with no toss at all. Took a bit of trimming, but once I got it sorted, it was flying on rails. Half throttle passes were fast, then pulled vertical and went to full power and the plane accelerates on the vertical up line!
The thust is impressive. The top speed is good, but the Micro Jet is faster.

For fun, I went high, killed the power, and added full elevator. Like the micro jet, perfect nearly straight down drop elevator...very cool.

All in all I am impressed with the planes new responsiveness with the lighter weight.

Here are some snappers of it.

Kirby
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2006, 03:09 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Lovely paint job

The Twinjet was one of my first planes and is still one of my favorites.

Mark
www.rcflights.co.uk
Jul 04, 2006, 09:11 AM
Great job on the Twin Jet Kirby....can't wait to see it in the air. As with my microjet with the MicroDan, we need to try some different props for speed. I feel the same about mine, the speed is okay and the vertical is great but this is a plane that I would rather have the speed on. Don't have too much fun with it today and keep it one piece so I get a chance to see it in the air. Guess I need to get my ProJeti finished now.

Steve
Jul 04, 2006, 10:27 AM
almost slackin
I really like the pics. I also really like the way a light Twinjet flys. I have a single 16/15/4 on mine and it has the ability to do it all, slow or relatively fast.
Jul 04, 2006, 03:11 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Thread OP
Thanks Guys. May try for some video next time out. I did not have time to fly it today... so its still in one piece. I did fly the Micro jet though...
Kirby

Quick Reply