This thread is privately moderated by GWRIGHT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 03, 2006, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

blog

blog blog blog
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2015, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Been having some fun designing and building stuff again. A wing that goes like stink on a little $20 generic motor from Tower, used on their foamie warbirds. 4S/2200 and an 8X8 is fastest, but a 9X6 folder doesn't break props on landing
Feb 16, 2015, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Who needs ailerons? loops/rolls/rolling circles/inverted/outside loops, and blindingly fast flat spins! Even hovers and torque rolls. Same Tower generic motor, 4S/2200, but 10X5.5 prop. It's an APC multirotor prop. 11 oz/ft wing loading.
Feb 22, 2015, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
some projects
Apr 03, 2015, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
videos
Yes the date is wrong. Was mid march 2015

Crazy V (nicknamed due to high dihedral  )
crazy V 2 (7 min 12 sec)

crazy V (7 min 19 sec)

E3D-43
e3d 43 2 (6 min 43 sec)

e3d 43 (6 min 27 sec)

Craz-E wing
craz E wing (5 min 13 sec)

craz E wing 2 (6 min 12 sec)

Stick
stick (5 min 50 sec)
Last edited by GWRIGHT; May 08, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
May 27, 2016, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
Just finished a large "slow flyer" aerobat for that little motor, on 4S and a 13X4 carbon prop.

63" span, 955 square inches, 65" long, 2.75 lbs flying with battery, Four tactic 25 servos, $20 tower motor that comes in their foamie warbirds, 4S/2200 and 13X4 carbon multirotor prop. Futaba guidance

SlowRide (4 min 3 sec)
May 27, 2016, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Some pics of the "Slow Ride"

I put a LOT of balsa on a gram scale to select the sheets before lazer cutting. Also weighed all the sticks for the tail and control surfaces. 1/16" sides with a little stick framework inside. No hardwood or hard ply, just a little liteply for firewall,wing center bracing, and landing gear mount. The wing turned out heavier than planned, and much stronger than needed. I think i could save even more weight, but would make it a bit fragile.
Jun 29, 2016, 09:13 AM
Thread OP

Delta

Wanted to revise my old avanti to have a rudder equiped delta again, but when I really got going in cad it turned out being a completely new design. Doesn't share a single piece from my old avanti. Looks similar since it's a delta, but that's all that's the same. Plug in wings with a tube, and it will have the little tower warbird motor I'm so fond of lately on 4S with an 8X8 or 8X10. Avanti was in the mid 80 range for speed (wasn't intended to be a speed demon, but that's pretty fast), with roughly 250 watts on 3S. This will be over 400 watts on 4S and only a few ounces heavier, with pitch speeds about 20mph higher. Hope it "goes" well.
Jul 15, 2016, 11:07 AM
Terry Dunn
Great looking stuff Gary! The Crazy V reminds me of the Slow Stik that that you used to fly with wicked dihedral. That was always fun to watch.
I never knew how versatile that Tower motor is. I'll have to pick up a few.
Terry
Feb 21, 2018, 03:02 PM
Free as a bird now.
Look what I found at a swap meet in Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Been having some fun designing and building stuff again. A wing that goes like stink on a little $20 generic motor from Tower, used on their foamie warbirds. 4S/2200 and an 8X8 is fastest, but a 9X6 folder doesn't break props on landing
Feb 21, 2018, 03:07 PM
Free as a bird now.
I've got an Avanti with 100 flights on it. (Flying on 4S with 8x6 prop. Porbably about 80-90 mph top speed.) The new delta design looks great. I'm not too sure about that huge rudder. I'd be afraid of high speed flutter. I don't think you need that much area. Has this one flown yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Wanted to revise my old avanti to have a rudder equiped delta again, but when I really got going in cad it turned out being a completely new design. Doesn't share a single piece from my old avanti. Looks similar since it's a delta, but that's all that's the same. Plug in wings with a tube, and it will have the little tower warbird motor I'm so fond of lately on 4S with an 8X8 or 8X10. Avanti was in the mid 80 range for speed (wasn't intended to be a speed demon, but that's pretty fast), with roughly 250 watts on 3S. This will be over 400 watts on 4S and only a few ounces heavier, with pitch speeds about 20mph higher. Hope it "goes" well.
Feb 21, 2018, 03:14 PM
Free as a bird now.
I just found out that the plank wing is now an ARF at Tower Hobbies. Sweet.
Dec 29, 2018, 05:35 PM

Voltage 500 3D

Hello, i need every spec , details, plans, molds, everything because i'm going to build a better version of this fantastic copter.
I'm living in Belgium and have the idea to bring it back on the market.
Email to franck@telenet.be
Apr 16, 2019, 03:22 PM

Firewall

Gary Hello I am up to installing the Motor in the Slowride and I cannot get the wires past the motor. Do I have to drill a hole to get them into the Battery compartment. to connect them to the ESC.

Thank You I Cant wait to maiden her

Mike Rose
warbirds
Jun 06, 2020, 09:57 AM

Gary Wright's E3D XL

Hi Gary,
Do you by any chance still have the plans for your E3D XL? I would love to build one.
Thanx.
Last edited by Deedah; Jun 06, 2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

Quick Reply