Jul 28, 2002, 11:14 AM
Master ReKitter
Thread OP

new Park Hawk owner

Hi All,

I just received my long awaited yellow PH from NES this Friday and am ready to assemble it, I have a few questions...

Will a JR 610 RX be suitable vs the GWS single conversion (new 610M)?

What are the best servos? I heard that the orignal suggested servos strip very easily, can I use two Hitec HS81's?

I have a very small CC Pixie 14 ESC on hand, can I use that?

Is there a website with better assembly pictures than the included manual's fuzzy grey pix?

Thanks,

Bill Nale
Round Rock, Texas
www.angelfire.com/tx/nale
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2002, 12:21 PM

Welcome new ParkHawk Owner!!

Welcome aboard. You are going to love your new bird. Hopefully some other guys can help on the transmitter and non-HS servo questions.

On the HS-81 servo issue, it can be used in both locations. The elevator servo normally mounts horizontally in the fuselage, but an HS-81 won't fit vertically. Fortunately, the slot is larger top to bottom, and an HS-81 will fit in there. One problem is that you would have to drill a hole and tap treads, or put a locknut on the little bolts on the opposite side of the fuselage. Also, the weight will shift the CG aft, and you may need to put ballast up front to keep the CG in range.

Personally, I think the bigger servos are a good idea until you master the bird. (Training wheels!) Once I have my skills wired and I want a lighter bird, I will go to two HS-55s.

Jul 28, 2002, 12:44 PM

receiver

Yes you can use the 610M. The Pixie will also be acceptable as many are flying on the Pixie 7P.

As far as pictures, I can send you some color ones, or if you look at the history of this forum, you will find a lot here.

-Jeffrey
JGRC
www.jgrc.biz
Jul 29, 2002, 07:33 PM
Master ReKitter
Thread OP
Thanks for the input, I'll do some more surfing on the PH threads for better pix. I'm looking forward to getting this jewel in the air.
Jul 30, 2002, 05:58 AM
Gentlemen, as Bill has I to have received a new Park Hawk and made assembly with no problems. Last night the wind lay for the first time in four days and we went for the first ascent. Air vehicle started its climb out with no problems beating the air into submission when the right wing failed at the hinge line. The new Delron bushing had twisted under load and the pivot hole was slightly inlarged. With no tools at the field, ran home and loosened thing up and repositioned things to alignment. Second flight about five seconds into it after about a ten second full throttle run up test, it failed the second time. Will attempt to redrill Delron pivot points in the bushing. I know this is the new way but I wonder here. Everything else has been of excellent quality but I wondered about the set up for the pivots over the old L-bracket way when I first say it. Everything was tight and in alignment when the wing pivot failed. Not the best way to finish a beautiful day. Any help appreciated. ed couch Ft Worth Tx
Jul 30, 2002, 08:03 AM
Ouch! You are talking about the plastic hinge points at the wing root, right? Once the little holes are elongated, I don't see how they could be salvaged unless you drilled through and reversed them. They might be covered by warrantee since they failed right out the gate.

Are these the parts you are talking about?
Jul 30, 2002, 08:54 AM
Yes, the right rear bushing/bearing is the one that failed, as discussed offline, will call Sean this afternoon and get recommendation for resolution of problem. eec
Aug 02, 2002, 09:56 AM
Gents,lucky enough to get in a couple of flight last evening when things calmed down and again had a blast but noticed that it took a lot of left trim to make the bird fly straight without any drift. The night before I had tried to fly it in winds over seven or eight knots and it had tumbled out of the sky within seconds of launch and I must have shifted something around causing her to pull left on last night flights. Jeff, will attempt to utilize your trimming techniques to resolve problem, it took me a while to understand what was written but although I may be a little slow sometimes, the light finally went off. Also, with the heavier servos (81s)I swear this things flies tail heavy, will try the battery pack as far forward as possible turned 90 degrees as recommended. Tried expodential on the elevator last evening, it helped but its not the answer as a lot of you won't have expo with the simpler radios. May also go back to lighter servos if this continues. Anyway you look at it though, its still a hoot. Floating along at less than 50 percent power on a quite night can't be beat, at least the local birds like it. ed
Aug 02, 2002, 11:49 PM
What Canary?
I noticed when mine is flying good it turns real tight. When the air heats up it not only won't gain much altitude, it takes a looong time to turn (remember I am flying above 7000ft.) It certainly acts unlike any plane I have ever tried to trim. I am using a HS-55 for the elevator and an hs-81 for the rudder. I easily flew it indoors here (big indoors). Unfortunately, outdoors with the heat comes the winds. I wonder if wind is causing me more of a problem with turning and climbing than the change in air density?

Sure is fun in the (relatively) cool, calm mornings and evenings. Do all colors attract the little birds or is black of particular interest to them?
Aug 03, 2002, 08:26 AM
I remember a study that was done using freshly hatched ducklings. A shadow of a cross was cast on the ceiling. When it was moved across the ceiling with the long neck forwards, the little guys paid no attention to it. When moved with the top of the cross forwards, they freaked out.

Apparently, little birds are hard wired to fear predatory birds like Hawks who have that basic wing forward shape. So I am betting it is the shape of the ParkHawk rather than the color that gets the ire of little birds.

By the way, mine is white and they hate it too.
Aug 03, 2002, 09:12 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
I want to share my flight experiences with the parkhawk. It's flying well now, but didn't always.

It would turn right constantly. I had all trim to the left, even re-mounted the tail with some left. No luck. It was uncontrollable.

One can change the tension on idividual wings by pulling one side tighter - details posted elsewhere - but this didn't help either.

Finally, acting on Seans advice, I reversed the covering left to right and voila! It flies like a dream! Can't figure out why, but I'm not complaining.

As far as turning, yeah it is different. I usually give it a little nose down, then turn input, then pull the tail up while turning. This gives it more bite, and the down turn at first keeps it from stalling.

I've gotten fancy at landing - I do a glide (drop!) until the last 10 feet, then flap the wings to slow it, then off power just as it touches down.

I'm using a single conversion rx - it works fine. I notice that at far ranges it's sometimes hard to determint the birds flight attitude - it won't keep still! - so I really don't exceed the rx rnge.
Aug 03, 2002, 09:35 PM
Keith,

You might keep in mind that when your bird is flying good on the cooler days that it is also flying faster. The increased speed will cause the tail to be more responsive. My planes do the same thing at the slower speeds. Took mine out this evening after the cool front went through. Could not believe the differance. Also noticed that which battery pack I used made a major differance on how it flew. The pack that came with mine has the green cells and the packs that came with Nancy's and the spare have blue cells. The blue ones outperformed the green one hands down. Very noticable on flapping speed as well as having three minute flights instead of one. Anyone know what the differance are between these two? I am still going to try 9 cells to see if I can get the flat part of the curve above the voltage needed to sustain a longer flight. Just waiting for a speed control to get in. The IFO site showed one in stock yesterday so I ordered it. Should get to try 9 cells before the end of next week.

I also got high enough tonight to try a pidgeon glide to a powered pull out about two feet off the ground and then let it settle to the ground. This thing is still putting a big grin on my face during the whole flight. Nothing has done that since I started flying heli's.

Terry
Aug 03, 2002, 09:58 PM

cells

The difference in the cells is the manufacturer.

Green cells are Sanyo
Blue cells are Varta

The cells in the kits is based on luck of the draw when the kits come in.

-Jeffrey
JGRC
www.jgrc.biz
Aug 03, 2002, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tdollmeyer
This thing is still putting a big grin on my face during the whole flight.
Dittos. That is a perfect description the effect this bird has on me too!

Aug 04, 2002, 06:24 PM
What Canary?
Terry,

Not sure that the bird is flying faster on cool days, I would think it would actually be flying slower in denser air. It definitely flies better though. I tried 9 Sanyo 720 cells, a bit better performance but the Sanyo 720 cells suffer from high internal resistance so I get severe voltage sags when I try the higher currents. Someone posted about a different AAA NiMH cell that is designed for higher currents but has a bit lower capacity. I am still looking for the post, he has some nice graphs showing the voltages at different currents. Found some 350mA NiCads that I want to try, right after I repair some puncture holes in the wing. Was out slope soaring (actually harassing) with the "real" birds when the battery pack gave out and I managed to land in a Yucca bush. Luckily I have some kite tape to try out. Then the kids (which seem to flock around the P.H. as quickly as the birds) pulled it out by the tail, giving me my only stripped servo. Anyone perfected that guano dispenser yet?

Keith
Last edited by KeithK; Aug 04, 2002 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply