Oct 01, 2007, 03:46 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Horney
If anyone is still looking for one, I have one of the "improved" kits I would be willing to sell. Kit is in perfect shape. Just let me know.

Steve
What's an " IMPROVED " kit version.

Larry
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2007, 04:07 PM
Some of the early kits were reported to have weak wings. Later kits incorporated additional sheeting (and thicker sheeting, if I recall correctly) to make the wings significantly stronger. These later kits were marked as "Improved".
Oct 02, 2007, 10:08 AM
Actually, I should have said the "Revised" kit. Fully sheeted wing and heavier-duty landing gear. If anyone is interested, I would sell it for $40 including shipping.
Oct 02, 2007, 11:53 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Thread OP
Heck what a deal

I'll take it for that just to have the extra landing gear.
Love this plane and sure appreciate the deal.

I had my wing break in 1/2 on my first one with a .09 glow
Sorry sight seeing it spin down to earth.

PM me with your address and I will send you a Money Order or Pay-pal from funds.

Larry
Oct 15, 2007, 05:43 PM
interesting reading guys. I just aquired a Tri star, OS 15 installed. Cleaned up some of the linkages (Bind) and a few other small things, but it's ready to flight test. I will add another micro servo for the front wheel as I've seen in the pic's here. Intresting design
Sounds like the OS .15 is lots of power. The other thing I did was change the wire landing rear gear for an aluminumn & foam set up. 2 1/2" foamie wheels should help it off the frass, but a little draggy in the air. always a comprimise somewhere.Anyways, thanks for posting the plans as now I can make sure the Cof G is correct instead of guessing.I've never flown a Canard Design so this should be interesting.
Don
Oct 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Thread OP
You should have plenty of power with a .15 on it to offset the gear.

Just remember that when landing, don't make the mistake of bleeding off the air speed to slow it down while keep putting in more and more up elevator.

Use your throttle to slow it down to a nice final glide.

Don't cut the throttle too far back and start giving it a lot of up elevator.

If you do, the plane will slow down great and will come in at a nice glide slope but you'll find that you have full up on your transmitter gimbals with nothing left to flair the plane at the end to grease her on the runway.

This is not too bad on grass but it makes for a bouncy landing on concrete/asphalt runways. Your plane will hit with a boink, then bounce up and land on it's behind.
People will laugh.

Just keep a little bit of speed on final approach.
You should be able to cut your throttle down to a nice glide and use you elevator for the final flair for a picture perfect landing.

Good luck brother
Larry
Oct 16, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the flight hints Larry...I had the plane at the field today, tried to take off but all it would do was mush in the grass. Didn't seem to have much punch from the OS engine. I had an 8x6 pusher but not enough power for ROG. So, hand launched it at full throttle, went directly into the sod, stuck there at 45 degrees. Nothing hurt so back to tweeking I went. Played with the prop, cut it 1/2in to get the motor reving to see if the rpm would increase, changed fuel to 30% nitro and again ,ran a little better but didn't have the punch needed for ROG. Thinking there would be enough for a handlaunch now that the engine was running a little better, I tossed it. This time it went about 50 feet, smacked the sod again, broke the darn thing in half ahead of the wing...conclusion is ,what I first suspected trying to take off from grass...not enough power from the engine for some reason. It is an older OS, very little time on it but it just doesn't want to rev out, so engine change for sure once it's fixed. In was a little dispointed and I should have packed the plane up and changed the engine , like that little voice in the back of my head was telling me to do. I have a new OS LA .15,fresh and turns 16,000 on an 8x4. This would have been a much better choice by me I'm starting to think now.
Well back to the build board for repairs and maybe, we'll try an elecytric set up.... if we don't get it to fly on the LA .Got a few electric set ups around too. My first canard isn't doing so well yet.
...Don
Oct 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
I should would like a set of prints. PM me if you can run me off a copy. I'll pay of course.
Oct 21, 2007, 09:05 AM
TANSTAAFL

plans

dusty,
here's a plan i got from this forum. I've included a drawing with a key dimension you can use to scale the larger drawing.

there's a set for sale on ebay, including construction manual.

ebay link

frank
Last edited by rocannon; Oct 21, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Oct 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
Well Larry, no luck yet. I repaired the ship after the Maiden tryout, still having power issues, even with new motor....I Believe I have a prop issue, maybe. It's also my first pusher config ....think I may have had it on backwards as I just could not get the push/power from the engine .I thought I'd try the design to learn a little bit...still learning....I believe I've got the canard thing down,but I'm struggling a little with setup...we'll get there, hopefully before we have too much expoxy and glue in the plane.
Don
Oct 26, 2007, 07:25 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Thread OP
Reversing the prop is a common mistake
Keep at it brother.
Got any pictures?

Larry
Oct 27, 2007, 10:37 AM
TANSTAAFL
make sure it's a pusher prop. Reversing a regular prop will not work.

taking off from grass with the tri-star is hard. I had to increase the diameter of the wheels on mine to overcome the drag of the grass.

make sure the front gear is not bent too far back. The plane is really sensitive to angle of attack when taking off. It's common for the gear to slowly bend back, which decreases the angle of attack.

have you tried taking off from a hard surface?
Nov 29, 2007, 09:53 PM

Front wing stall

Larry, The way you describe the landing in post 51 reminds me of a Tri Star that was flown for me at SMALL Little Rock several years ago. Could that have been you? He said he had another kit but would not part with it. The model has to be set up wrong to lose lifting ability up front during a normal glide. My first thought is CoG too far forward but it may need more positive incidence up front or less positive on the rear wing. If the CoG is correct and you can't adjust the wing angles then you may have to add some UP reflex to the ailerons to lower the rear and raise the nose. The canard area should be 25 to 30% of the main wing area. I now have a Tri Star kit and it is a beautiful model when finished but it looks like it will be a pain to build. The challenge is there and I may tackle it one day. Charles
Nov 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Thread OP
I've been going to SMALL for the past 4-5 years
So it could have been me, Don't remember
Sounds like me , Think I have 2 extra kits and 2 kits of the ASTROBLASTER in the rafters.

As far as the model being setup wrong, It pretty much by the book/plans.

The plane loose lift when I throttle back to slow down and land.

The glide is fine.
But sometime people have the tendency to pull back a bit on the elevator to slow it down when they land. That's an easy trap to fall into on a canard.
The model will keep slowing down and you'll fall into a nice glide slope, all the time not realizing that right before you land, you've got most of your UP elevator and you can't flair the landing. Don't stall either.

Big bounce, sometime a bunch of little ones

I will look into checking my incidence on the wings and front horizontal stabilizer somday.. Too many planes
Larry
Jan 29, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'll try anything once!
I bought one of these at my LHS last year, and have yet to put it together... What AXI do you suggest? I think I am going to break it out and create a plane.
Come to think of it, I think the LHS has one still sitting on the shelf. Kit form...

Quick Reply