Jul 27, 2002, 02:52 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Thread OP

Problem with GWS Beaver Instruction

Oh, no, the instruction says 10 degree in red letter for dihedral.What is 10 deg... Mmmmm, 10 deg, gotta break out my scientific calculator..... sin 10=.174685672545, multiply by half the wing span... ah ha!

I wish they would just state how much distance under one wing tip or something simple like that instead of 10 degree.

Also, what is this clear liquid ooust out of this white tube? Some sort of water based contact cement that take hours to cure?

Mr. Lin, are you listening?

Brian, An EAJ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2002, 03:59 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
I agree, the Beaver instructions left much to be desired. At least with the Tiger Moth, they gave you mesurements to set the dihedral.

On my Beav, I just guessed at 10 degrees. Luckily, the Beav is like the Tiger Moth as far as TLAR goes. Just make it look like the plane on the box, and it will fly.
Jul 27, 2002, 09:48 AM

20 degrees not 10?

Brian read the instructions again. The first mention is for 10 degrees but later it says 10 degrees per wing, (right and left) so it is even more confusing. I noted this problem when I reviewed the kit. It is a potential problem for the novice but I am sure that you Brian were able to figure it out. Mike
Jul 27, 2002, 10:52 AM
Space Coast USA
It flies just fine with one wing tip being 2 3/4" higher than the other. That is, with one wing flat on the table, the bottom of the other wing tip is 2 3/4" higher. This is less than 10 deg but looks much better. I used ProBond on dampened surfaces for all gluing. Try the wing mounted strut attachments at a 90 deg angle to that specified. The way they are, the plastic has to be bent almost 60 deg.

I'd also recommend using a prop saver. The prop can ground strike if you're not careful.

hoppy
Jul 27, 2002, 10:55 AM
Watch This !!!
Brian,

My Beaver went together perfectly.... Use some Elmers Probond (sparinginly) glue between the wing halves when you join them and then attatch Plastic wing joiner also using a little Probond.

Probond is a foamy type glue and will expand to fill gaps so use sparingly.

The wing will go together at approx 10 degrees dihedral which is the shape of the wing joiner when you join them together.

I used allot of the GWS glue, and it works well if you are not in a hurry and give it overnight time to dry.

Good luck.

Glenn
Jul 27, 2002, 11:23 AM
Strange Plane Central
It is ten degrees total unless you like flying like a pigeon

One wing flat and 2 3/4" elevation of one wing tip comes out to ten degrees total.

Ten degrees on both wings might be better for indoor flying.

I pointed this out to GWS when I was the beta tester.
Last edited by frankenfoamy; Aug 05, 2002 at 07:21 PM.
Jul 27, 2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Problem with GWS Beaver Instruction

Quote:
Originally posted by bhchan
Also, what is this clear liquid ooust out of this white tube? Some sort of water based contact cement that take hours to cure?
Hi Brian, you said it. It is contact cement. You put it on both parts, let them dry, and then stick it together. But once they touch... they are stuck. It only takes a very light film and doesn't take very long to dry before sticking the parts together.

On the other hand, I don't use the GWS glue anymore, not since reading about and getting some ProBond. By adjusting the amount of water added you can vary the cure time and foaming rate. Just takes some experimenting to see what will work where.

BC
Jul 27, 2002, 12:14 PM

Dihedral info

bjchan,
Michael Heer,
hoppy,
Glen,

> Oh, no, the instruction says 10 degree in red letter for
> dihedral.What is 10 deg... Mmmmm, 10 deg, gotta
> break out my scientific calculator.....
> sin 10=.174685672545, multiply by half the
> wing span... ah ha!
>
> I wish they would just state how much distance under
> one wing tip or something simple like that instead of
> 10 degree.

> 20 degrees not 10?
> Brian read the instructions again. The first mention is
> for 10 degrees but later it says 10 degrees per wing.

Dihedral is defined as the angle between two geometric planes.
In the case of wing dihedral, it is the angle between the two parts of a bent wing.

One cannot say "dihedral is 10 degrees per wing". It is superflous to say "dihedral is 10 degrees between wings". I think that this is a problem in the translation from Chinese to English. The Beaver manual is full of these translation gaffs. The Beaver manual could benefit from a final editing by a user actually building the plane in the locale of the translation.

Sin (10) = 0.1736;
Sin(theta) = y/r where y is wing tip rise and r is wing length,
and theta is dihedral angle.

WingTIPRise = WingLength * 0.1736;

WingTIPRise(inches) = 19.9 * 0.1736 = 3.4556 = 3-7/16
WingTipRise(cm) = 50.5 * 0.1736 = 8.77

> It flies just fine with one wing tip being 2 3/4" higher
> than the other. That is, with one wing flat on the table,
> the bottom of the other wing tip is 2 3/4" higher. This
> is less than 10 deg but looks much better.

That's 7.28 degrees dihedral. I think I'm going to build mine at the 10 degree setting. For me, this is a trainer and I think I'm gonna want the stability of the extra dihedral.

Just waiting on my flight kit so I know how to carve the fuse innards.
Jul 27, 2002, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
Try the wing mounted strut attachments at a 90 deg angle to that specified. The way they are, the plastic has to be bent almost 60 deg.

I'd also recommend using a prop saver. The prop can ground strike if you're not careful.

hoppy

hoppy

When you mount these parts 90 degrees rotated from the recommended orientation, doesn't it cause the foam part overlays not to fit into the recesses of the fuse and wing? Did you do any trimming, or did you make a new foam piece that fit the opening, or did you just let the glue fill the void?

Can you give me a link to a place I can get a prop saver?
Jul 27, 2002, 12:30 PM
Strange Plane Central
The rotated parts fit fine.
Jul 27, 2002, 12:31 PM
Strange Plane Central
prop saver on my dual IPS
Jul 27, 2002, 01:59 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Quote:
Originally posted by srogers316292

Can you give me a link to a place I can get a prop saver?
Best GWS propsaver you can get!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=prop+saver
Jul 27, 2002, 02:02 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Has anyone replaced their Beav's wheels yet? On the first flight, my Beav flew great. But, when I brought it in to land it skated a bit sideways when I was taxing to a stop. That's all it took to snap both wheels off the hub.

With all the complaints we've given about the junk GWS wheels, you'd think Mr. Lin would have upgraded them by now.
Jul 27, 2002, 02:27 PM
Strange Plane Central
The problem is it is difficult to find replacement wheels with a narrow axle.

In a pinch I built some from yogurt containers.
Last edited by frankenfoamy; Jul 27, 2002 at 09:24 PM.
Jul 27, 2002, 02:28 PM
Strange Plane Central
pic

Quick Reply