Jun 25, 2006, 09:11 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
Build Log

E-Starter Build Party... Family Style!!!

Well it all started out when my brother (dee-grose) found a great sale at BP Hobbies. That's the way most of our purchase stories begin.

We all bought one: Dad (Moonbeam Six), oldest brother Brian (brn-grose), my older brother Andy (dee-grose), and finally me (ghee-grose). In fact Brian thought the deal was so good he bought two.

Andy and I came up with the idea of getting together to build them all at once and kinda make a party out of it. You know, help each other learn from (and hopefully avoid) those building mistakes. Several sets of eyes on the GWS manuals might help somebody stay out of trouble and having to re-do something.... hopefully.

Our day started around 7AM with chit chat and overlooking the kits. My son even had a plane to build... although he chose a Wild Wing instead of an E-Starter. Building commenced around 8:00 only to take a break around 8:30 or so for breakfast. My wife was kind enough to make us all chocolate gravy and biscuits. (And if you haven't had any of that, you are missing out) We got back to building and again took a break around noon or so to grill some hot dogs for lunch. Back to the building!!!

I think most of us got about half way done that day. There was a lot of time spent soldering up battery packs and bending some custom gear wires and stuff so we didn't complete them like we should have. Most of us got to about the point where you put the aileron torque rods into the wing.

Here are some pics from day one.

Gary
Last edited by ghee-grose; Sep 27, 2006 at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2006, 09:16 PM
Here are some shots of the carbon fiber we added for strength.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:26 PM

Day two (for me)

The rest of the building took place at each persons own house. I had a feeling I would get mine done first, but that was just a challenge to keep me from procrastinating.

I got a little antsy and put some stripes on it with a Sharpie. Also made a few panel lines on the wing. All the assembly there is just cosmetic except for the fuse being glued together. The wing, tails, and gear are just setting there.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:28 PM
Wow.... how many planes can you name in that last picture???
Jun 25, 2006, 09:35 PM

Day 3

I got everything hinged and got the torque rods set up with the aileron servo.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:46 PM

More Day 3

Got the tail glue on with Gorilla Glue.

These should have been posted before the last post.
Last edited by ghee-grose; Jun 25, 2006 at 10:08 PM.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:57 PM

Day 4

Some shots of the servo placement and the cooling channel into the fuse.
Jun 25, 2006, 10:13 PM

Day 6 (Ready for Maiden)

I know this seems like it's taking too long, but I only work for about 15-30 minutes per night.
Jun 25, 2006, 10:19 PM
MRD
MRD
MR DAD

E starter party

Like the skid on the rear. What is it?
Jun 25, 2006, 10:21 PM

Maiden Time!!!!

Well the weather is looking perfect and everything is charged and pre-flighted. Saturday morning is a go!!!
Jun 25, 2006, 10:23 PM
The skid... I robbed it from an E-Flite Ultimate 3D that I haven't built yet. I've seen them for sale at the hobby shops for a couple bucks. They keep them where the E-Flite and Parkzone stuff is.
Jun 25, 2006, 10:24 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Here's a link for the skid...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLA202
Jun 25, 2006, 10:32 PM

More flying pictures.

More good ones.