Troy,I am speechless
Thank You.
Yuri.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Yuri, Speechless ??
Mar 11, 2011, 07:03 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Some progress on the mold walls today and used plastilina clay for any voids along edge. Ready for PVA.
Mar 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
I should note that the brown material you see there is called pattern wax. It comes in different thicknesses and has a choice of an adhesive on one side or no adhesive at all. I have the adhesive kind which is what holds my walls up here. I use little patches to bridge the joints to prevent leakage. The beauty of the wax is that epoxy doesn't bond to it. At the very worse, the heat of exotherm may melt a little and stick but there are high temperature versions that will withstand higher temps. The PVA will take away the tackiness that is exposed on the inside of the walls right now.
Mar 12, 2011, 04:51 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
Looks professional.
Well, I guess it is.

I wish I had pattern wax when I made the plugs.
Instead I took scrap sheeting lying around and hot glue, which ended in leakage as could be seen.

There's nothing better, that using generally good stuff and the right stuff for a particular purpose.

biber
Mar 17, 2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry for the delay. I had some issues with PVA which I thought was a wax issue but it turned out to be a spray-gun setup issue. I was getting "alligator skin" even after 3 mist coats when I went to put on the wet coat. So I tore off the PVA and started over. Turns out I had the air pressure dialed in too low (20-25psi) so I cranked it up too 40-45psi and voila it worked great. I did a side test on a scrap piece of plexiglass with several types of wax to do a process of elimination. So now it's game time and I will be applying surface coat and casting the aluminum filled epoxy at my next opportunity.
Mar 18, 2011, 06:40 PM
Ahhh, that's much better.
Mar 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Vertical grain balsa blocks for even temporary mold support is -CRUEL.
Yuri.
Mar 24, 2011, 03:38 PM
hot air rises...
I can't see, but what did you end up doing for the alignment pins? The ones in the plug seemed to be too short to my eye.?.
Mar 24, 2011, 05:58 PM
The end grain balsa was from a couple of scrap sheets (it has a fiberglass backing on it to conform around curves) and I hot glued it at the base and to the sheet wax. It shored up the walls just perfect.

The pins were 6mm stainless about 3/4" long so I bought some 1" long pins from McMaster and substituted them out. Now I have the pins sticking out at least 5/8 to 3/4".

The aluminum filled epoxy was mixed in a 5-gallon bucket and I added another 25% (by weight) aluminum granules/needles for extra filler to lower shrink and exotherm. It's mixed with a large drill mixer in one bucket, then the slurry is poured into a new bucket to leave behind the un-mixed stuff on the sides/bottom in the first bucket, mixed a bunch more, then the granule filler is added. It pours a bit like concrete.
Mar 25, 2011, 05:43 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
What a marvelously sophisticated measuring technique.
I always stick my index finger into the epoxy to test temperature , err, not.

I see the exact end grain balsa in windturbines all the time.
Though I like windturbines, this is an example where the stuff is put to a really good use.

biber
Mar 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
Troy called me last night and said he is going to let them set over the weekend before he pops them loose then I am going to make a set then mubu will head north to Yuri.

Hey Yuri are you planning any trips down into california? I could take them and meet you somewhere to save a little danger of shipping. Let me know maybe we can work something out.

D.E.
Mar 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
52 legs done, 53 next.
115 F = 46 C is not so bad. Maybe internally the temperature is higher?

I was afraid of your plan to deepfill with such a high epoxy content as i thought this generally leeds to really high temperatures.

Aluminium as filler seems like a really good idea, i wonder if there are any bad things about this.
Mar 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English

Hey Yuri are you planning any trips down into california? .

D.E.
I do have plans to visit ,but not before rain stops there
Yuri.

Quick Reply