Dec 05, 2008, 09:43 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
My Home Depot never has it, only white beaded styrene.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2008, 09:49 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
My Home Depot never has it, only white beaded styrene.
Bummer!
The beady EPS stuff is c**p compared to the smooth XPS.

The only good in EPS, it's normally lighter.

biber
Dec 05, 2008, 10:51 AM
The Kid
Where is the CG located for the mubu? For the life of me i can't find it written anywhere...
Dec 05, 2008, 11:26 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
Where is the CG located for the mubu? For the life of me i can't find it written anywhere...
Yea,I am wondering myself,where?
We have plenty of pink foam in Home Depot,here,in Oregon ,but its soft 150 density.I found place ,which sells insulation foam with 250 density,it is much more pleasure to work with.
Finished LE with stock bass wood,looks great.
I start to see a real problem in the future,this wing thick as 2x CD disk will be hard to catch on camera,not to mention to track it with Your eye
Thats how I lost my VooDoo,I went straight up with 600w and she dissapeared
behind a cloud,I never seen her since.I hope my VooDoo is in Heaven now
Yuri.
Dec 05, 2008, 01:02 PM
Cumulus Altimus
DANG that is thin.
ben
Dec 05, 2008, 04:57 PM
About CG:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biber
The proto has done some more flights and CG seems to settle somewhere around 10 mm behind TE at the wing center.
That was the reason that resurected this thread!
Dec 06, 2008, 09:13 AM
not much success...
It seems to me that the plane really need that pull prop config for self launching...
When I turn on the motor, it always spins to the left, even with some right trim... When it started gaining speed and fully stabilized, it was too late... ground!
I'll do a simple balsa fuse with prop in front and try again tomorrow.

If I already had mini-pilon planes (similar to a micro stinger) almost with this flying weight and much smaller area, flying great... this thing should fly ok too!
Dec 06, 2008, 10:59 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
King,I am launching my pushers with small rubber cord all the time and prop them up
later in the air.Easy ,safe for fingers and planes.All You have to have its a small hook little bit a front of CG.Moving motor from back to front of the plane usually mess up with CG and You have to redesign Your plane lay out from scratch.
Also,for my taste ,it will make that beauty look ugly.
Yuri.
Dec 06, 2008, 05:08 PM
I know what you mean... I'm always looking at that wing... That shape is really a beauty! And when I put a prop in front of her, it just doesn't seem the same beauty
Dec 07, 2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, this thing is sensible with EVERYTHING!

-Motor in front, CG was 1cm! infront from where it was (fuse was too short). I have elevons mix activated by a switch, so... lets try! Even if the central elevator don't work ok, Il have elevons!
-Then, at the beach... motor on, launch! goes finally straight for 1 meter or so and then she did 3 or for looping 3 meters form the ground, motor of and... obviously... "crash". Front support and firewall are cracked... So no more motor on flight.
-because the fuse still stayed together with the wing, I decided to launch it motor of. Finally she went straight from my hand and landed ok. Then I climbed a dune and launched again and she flew stable again, with typical "nose heavy" attitude... So now I'm thinking she was "tail heavy" from beggining. Stupid me that thought that I was lauching she "too dirty"...

So next, I'll retry launching motor off untill I'm really happy with CG, then put the motor working... probably again at it's back! Much better looking!

PS: Sorry for my english... need to write more to get better...

Gonšalo

Edit to put a picture
Last edited by _King_Pin_; Dec 07, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
Dec 07, 2008, 12:15 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
We all demand close up picture,right guys?
I am personally interested in servos links,hinges.
Your Wing looks awesome.
King,in one of my wings 1mm change of CG makes it fly great or not fly at all Think about it.
Yuri.
Dec 07, 2008, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
We all demand close up picture,right guys?
I am personally interested in servos links,hinges.
Your Wing looks awesome.
King,in one of my wings 1mm change of CG makes it fly great or not fly at all Think about it.
Yuri.
Nooooo!
Wing has REALLY bad finish! That's why I didn't make close up pics Vacuum bagging the entire wing messed up with the leading edges (mylars moved when I put the wing in the vacuum bag, then the paint screwed the rest of the finish (krylon H2O...)... But fortunately she came straight, that's why I'm using it anyway. Next time I'll vacuum bag each half separated and then join the two halves together later.
Hinges are just taped, without any wipers and normal 13mm HXT servos...
Just want to see this thing flying ok first. Then I'll do a new one (I already have a second set of cores) with some decent finish, wipers, decent servos and decent power. This is one is just running things I had laying around: feigao 130L ~4200kv, 3S 1000mAh and clipped APC prop.
So pleeeease, don't ask me close up pictures!

About CG, my micro speedwing is the same, just 1mm makes a big difference. But because with nose heavy, planes usually fly... that's why I tried. Now I'll begin pushing CG back little by little. That's what I should have done from begining...
Dec 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
The Kid
Hey guys, i've got a question for those that have put this together. What did you do to join the wing? I can't help but feel like a simple butt gluing of the wing halves will be enough to hold this together in high-g turns...

My original intent was to bury a rod inbetween the two middle panels before glassing, but that was before i realized that the plane had annhedral...so that plan is kind of a bust. So what did everyone else use?
Dec 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
I'd say a good method to join the two halfes depends on how the wings are actually built.
You have to joint the parts of the wings that have main structural function.
Is your wing foam with veneer only, or is there more, structurewise?

biber
Dec 14, 2008, 11:23 AM
The Kid
Well i still have to put it together. What it will end up being is at least 1 rod, maybe two (one top one bottom) embeded in the wing, running from the center section of each side to the tip. Than i'll be sheeting it in either balsa or as yuri did, lite ply.

What i was thinking while brain storming was I could make each half seperate, than when gluing the two together I could add an extra layer of 1/64th top and bottom at the center section. Something that would stretch just maybe 5-6 inches out to each side to join the panels.

Do you think this would be sufficient?

Quick Reply