Starting: P51 Electric Orange Style - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 07, 2006, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat
yer deffinately not a slowflyer , and would need either more dehideral or aielerons , im busy with a few things on my house so gonna be off the plane for a bit :S

i also thought the airfoil was quite steep, but once the bottom sheet was on it seemed to flatten out a bit ( looks wise , it didnt though)

cant wait , boohoo
Did you use any ribs or anything to space between the upper and lower sheet on the wing? How exactly did you do yours?

Any other tips for someone starting the build?
Last edited by malibu43; Sep 07, 2006 at 04:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Loon
yea i cut three ribs out of 6mm depron for each wing, once the wing was glued in place i glued in the ribs then put the bottom sheet on

there is a little fault on the plan, the engine brace that goes thru the baulkhead is offset, it should be in the middle. i only cut these out once the plane was finished.
there is a little recommendation that i should put to rico and that is the bottom piece of the fusalage that sits behind the wing should be a little longer so that it ties into the mid section of the fusalage, its hard to explain but as soon as you piece the whole plane together you will understand what i mean. its not crucial but i think it will help making a fantastic build that it is even better.

when covering the airframe i used two pieces of sheeting, i dont see why you couldnt do it in one sheet, better finish.

other than that i cant think of anything else
Sep 08, 2006, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat
yea i cut three ribs out of 6mm depron for each wing, once the wing was glued in place i glued in the ribs then put the bottom sheet on

there is a little fault on the plan, the engine brace that goes thru the baulkhead is offset, it should be in the middle. i only cut these out once the plane was finished.
there is a little recommendation that i should put to rico and that is the bottom piece of the fusalage that sits behind the wing should be a little longer so that it ties into the mid section of the fusalage, its hard to explain but as soon as you piece the whole plane together you will understand what i mean. its not crucial but i think it will help making a fantastic build that it is even better.

when covering the airframe i used two pieces of sheeting, i dont see why you couldnt do it in one sheet, better finish.

other than that i cant think of anything else
Yeah, I started the build last night and noticed the offset engine mounts. I will have to cut those out again.

I will probably also put some ribs in the wing and cover the bottom, but I'm going to try and do the entire wing and then rubberband it on or something like that to allow easier storage and better access to the insides since I'm planning this as I go and I don't plan on getting gear for it for a while.
Sep 08, 2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Loon
on my next one i am going to do the same, make a removeable wing, ill prolly try a nylon bolt as ive never used one before
Sep 10, 2006, 02:36 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Hey guys... The offsett is there on purpose!
To get a right thrust...

blackrat, I'm not sure what you mean, can you maybe make a sketch or show it in a picture?

Good luck on building, Malibu!
Sep 10, 2006, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoJ
Hey guys... The offsett is there on purpose!
To get a right thrust...

blackrat, I'm not sure what you mean, can you maybe make a sketch or show it in a picture?

Good luck on building, Malibu!
At first I thought that that might be why the cut outs weren't centered, but it either gives me no right thrust with an off center prop shaft, or if I offset the cut outs, I'll get about 15-20 degrees of right thrust, which I think is too much.

Am I not understanding the plans?
Sep 10, 2006, 12:52 PM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
maybe you got the front former reversed? Damn, have to find time to start building myself...
Sep 11, 2006, 07:32 AM
Registered Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
I'll get about 15-20 degrees of right thrust, which I think is too much.
thats exactly what i thought .

to get side thrust i just turned the motor. i was under the impression of 3 degrees to compensate for torque ? and the same for downthrust ?

ill try get some drawings rico, and let me know what you think
Sep 11, 2006, 07:47 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Hey Blackrat, just got word from our software supplier, UGS, that they are distributing their 2D drawing environment for free! Might be usefull... http://www.solid-edge.com/
You could even use it to open my drawings and work with them. Only 2D though...

3 degrees is good I think (hope)

Richard
Sep 11, 2006, 12:56 PM
hey blackrat,

How did you cut out the depron to cover the airframe w/o a template?
Sep 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Loon
erm,first i cut out a section of the sheeting so that it would sit on top of the wing (using the paper template from the side of the airframe) i then applied glue to all the sections where the sheeting would be glued to the airframe, stuck the sheeting on and then just trimmed the excess overlap with a sharp blade. it is quite fiddly but once you have done it once the next time seems so much easier. The next one that i am going to build im going to cover the removable canopy section and the airframe in one go, then slide a blade between the two pieces so that when you put the canopy section onto the plane the joins will be exact.
i dont know if its going to be possible to do the whole plane with one sheet, you might need to cut relief pieces out.

rico, would you mind sending me your drawing ? please

ccoetzer@gotadsl.co.uk

ta
Last edited by Blackrat; Sep 11, 2006 at 01:56 PM.
Sep 12, 2006, 12:49 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
I'm not sure on how to make the layout for the fuse in CAD
Solid Edge can create a laout but this is double curved...

you got mail!
Sep 12, 2006, 07:25 AM
Dismembered Member...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoJ
I'm not sure on how to make the layout for the fuse in CAD
Solid Edge can create a layout but this is double curved...
You need a 3D CAD program to do the "unroll" thing with surfaces. I know squat about using CAD though - though I do understand what is actually needed with this stuff. I read somewhere that it takes about 1,000 hours to become proficient in 2D CAD stuff - I dunno about the 3D.....
Sep 12, 2006, 07:29 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Solid Edge is 3D but cannot handle double curved surfaces.
You could come over here and take a 3 day course in Solid Edge, 3D in 24 hours! I even did only 2 days. After that it's just practice.
Sep 12, 2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Loon
i worked as a design draughtman for a good few years so im very efficiant using autocad but i never did alot of 3D stuff in autocad so im quite rusty there. i did however start learning 3dsmax wich in an animation program/redering, fantastic if you have the patience and time, with that you can flatten round curves, for example when you have drawn your character you flattem him/her/it and then paint it.