www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Damn, you're fast!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
Registered Loon
add paint and hopefully maiden if the weather is nice
Aug 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
Dismembered Member...
Ummmm....no ailerons and no dihedral might not be a great idea....
Aug 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
Registered Loon
if i lay the wing flat on the one side, there is 120mm of lift on the other, isnt this enough ? the picture is a little deciptive, remember there is a air scoop at the bottom of the wing
Aug 22, 2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Loon
and the airscoop is what is making the wing lift so high, :S so its not a true 120mm
bwaaah sob sob, its gonna crash
Aug 23, 2006, 12:30 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Cool! Keeping my fingers crossed! Weather's nice over here

It looks like the wing is almost swept-forward... or is it just the picture? Did you enlarge the rudder and elevator?
Aug 25, 2006, 11:50 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
I think it will work Blackrat My ewo full fuse extra 300 just flew for the first time tonoght and it had only about a 1/2" dihedral at each tip..........took three flights to get everything right but wow it's fun..............good luck with the maiden and start your CG at 1/3rd of the cord it works great for me at 20 oz's or so...........and please let us know how it goes........

JAM
Jason
Aug 26, 2006, 01:19 AM
I wish someone did the same but with thunderbolt or corsair
anyone seen them
Aug 26, 2006, 04:54 AM
Registered Loon
it didnt work

first try, the plane launched like a rocket skyward , running a 9x4.7 so loads of thrust, then the gearbox came loose and the pinion disengaged. so at about 20 foot up the plane stalled , not a problem kept the nose down and glided it in beutifully. So after a frustrating walk home tightend up the screws and a walk back i launched again, this time the plane rolled slowly but the rudder wasnt big enough to correct the torque , it needs aielerons beeeg time, anyway she went inverted but i still managed to flip her over and land safely.(elevator is perfect)

then i made the mistake, i knew the plane wasnt going to perform the way i needed it to in order to fly it at my flying level, but the moment and exitement got the better of me, for about 10 seconds. when she finially bit the dust hard.

so aeilerons it is, gonna start on them them today, but the weather here is horrid, so its going to be a few days till i can fly again
Aug 26, 2006, 06:34 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Hey Blackrat,

Sorry to hear. I know that urge... arrive at the field and you know there's to much wind but just can't resist. I tried the piper with floats, full throttle and still just hovering against the wind. Couldn't even get near the water to land.... wrecked the floats landing in the bushes

The piper's rudder isn't much bigger than the P51's. The GeeBee's rudder is about 1,5 cm longer (long in the direction of the plane) Will enlarge it on the model. I think the elevator should be enlarged a little bit just to stay in shape with the rudder.

good luck on the ailerons! For size you could check out the GeeBee.
Aug 26, 2006, 07:24 AM
Registered Loon
yea, ive just finished putting her back together, so am looking for aeileron sizes now

i am going to build a new one and put some time into it and get it looking realy sweet, am looking for retracts any idea's ?
Aug 26, 2006, 09:53 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
sure: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=846

Very small and light, seems perfect...
Sep 01, 2006, 03:10 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Just very quickly enlarged the rudder and elevator and things still look scale. Well... scale enough for me
Offset is 10 mm's I think it'll do the trick.
Sep 06, 2006, 04:43 PM
Blackrat-

Did the plane fly pretty fast, or was it like a slowflyer? The extreme airfoil of the wing looks like it would be a pretty slowflyer. I'm thinking of building one of these, but I'd like to do an a/e/t version.

What do you guys think? Maybe more of a semisymetrical wing for a little more speed...?
Sep 07, 2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Loon
yer deffinately not a slowflyer , and would need either more dehideral or aielerons , im busy with a few things on my house so gonna be off the plane for a bit :S

i also thought the airfoil was quite steep, but once the bottom sheet was on it seemed to flatten out a bit ( looks wise , it didnt though)

cant wait , boohoo