Starting: P51 Electric Orange Style - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 18, 2006, 10:52 AM
Dismembered Member...
Rico: Adding a scale on the first page of that PDF would be a huge bonus. See below.

Pez: A *lot* of the time, my 'puter prints out PDF's at 93% of size. I dunno why it does this, but I've recycled a *lot* of paper thru my printer - with big X's thru the pic on the back-side. Check your printer scaling before you print the whole shebang.

45 X 0.93 = 41.85 - or roughly your 850mm guesstimate

Brad
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
I know, it would be easier on page 1.... but it's on page 4!
(Was more room there)
Checked my prints and they're okay, a near 45 cm per wing. I just put the page scaling to none and it prints fine.

[off topic]
What does "go interstate" mean?
[/off topic]

Got a new design for my rc-site ready but will be after my holidays to get that working...
Aug 01, 2006, 06:42 AM
Hey there Rico,
Very nice looking design on the P51
I downloaded the PDF files and pasted the plan together and i am going to attempt to build it. I was wondering what material you intended to cover the fuse with?
I usually build all my airframes with depapered foam board from Walmart. It comes out 5mm thick after the paper is removed. Is that too thick for covering?
OD
Aug 14, 2006, 02:14 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
Hey all!

Back from the holidays
Will start again asap. Planned for material was insides 6 mm depron and covering with 3 mm depron. 5 mm might work, no idea. Still no idea on how to create the layout of the fuse as well.
Aug 14, 2006, 05:56 AM
Crash Master
Welcome back, Rico... Things changed while you were gone, and this forum is now Kit Foamies, with DIY Foamies in another one... We've been moving our threads:

go to first post, report to mod, move thread, to DIY Foamies
Aug 16, 2006, 02:04 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
done!

thanks Gene.
Aug 18, 2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Loon
so has anyone started this build yet ?

ive just finished cutting out 90% of the parts and i must say its looking awesome, this is gonna be my first 'full' foamie

cheers for sharing your idea's Rico
Last edited by Blackrat; Aug 19, 2006 at 07:35 AM. Reason: add some pics
Aug 18, 2006, 08:18 PM
Crash test dummy
Rico......what is the name of the CAD program that you are using and where can I get it?
Aug 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Loon
couldnt resist , so ive skinned her and started installing radio gear .

i am a bit worried as to the size of the rudder, it isnt very big. I think i would either need to put a bigger one on or install ailerons . I do relise this isnt a 3D plane but will the scale rudder be ok ?
Aug 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
Scale P51 horizontal and vertical stab makes it a real handfull to fly. I had to up the horizontal stab area for a 900mm wingspan to about 20% of the wing area and half of that needs to be elevator. Increase the vertical stab as much as you can without loosing the scale look. I don't know about rudder as all my planes are A/E/T only.

This build is looking great. Try Rhino for exporting from one format to another. I don't think there's much it can't read/ write.

I think I've got my old P51 blue foam/ brown paper wing with an Eppler 374 airfoil lurking in a corner of the workshop. Hmmm, I can feel a new fuse coming on....
Aug 20, 2006, 03:51 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
dhelms, I'm using solid edge and it's a UGS product. But it's a professional tool and far away from freeware About 4000$ away from freeware. I work for a company that sells it in the Netherlands so I got a reseller license

Blackrat, way to go man! I need more time! Haven't started building yet. Indeed my guess would be that the rudder needs to be enlarged. I need to check with the electric orange cub and gee bee. I see you already made the hinge-lines so that the control areas are large.
What did you use for skin and for the nose? I think that you should try and get all the weight you can in the front, it'll probably be tail heavy. I would even set the servo's in the front part of compartment. could you post a pic from the bottom?

Richard
Aug 20, 2006, 05:48 AM
Registered Loon
i am using a depron type foam, it has ridges in it so it makes bending very easy. I did have to glue in ribs to the wing so that the bottom skin could stick to them or it would have been to flimsy. I cant believe how much strength has been added to the wing by the bottom sheet, i was going to leave it off but glad ive done it now.

The nose it out of a solid block of foam, am going to start hollowing it out as soon as i got the motor mounted.

for the canopy i would like to try forming a clear type using the vacuum method but am unsure of what type of plastic is used, will need to do a search

this model is going to be purely for learning, as soon as i got it flying and am happy with it i will be building another one with a little craftsmanship and a bit of paint
Aug 20, 2006, 06:29 AM
www.ricoj.rchomepage.com
I got "regular" depron and was somewhat concerned if I was gonna be able to curve it into shape for the skin. Is it 3 mm thickness?
I planned to make the nose from blocks of XPS, i got a big piece of 20mm thick. Sands real nice. See the attachment. Not satisfied with the current canopy, the shape's not the way I want it. I thought about vacuum forming but have no machine so I'm now thinking soda bottle style...
Aug 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
Dismembered Member...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat
for the canopy i would like to try forming a clear type using the vacuum method but am unsure of what type of plastic is used, will need to do a search
Scroll down to "working with plastic": https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=32

Brad
Aug 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
Registered Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Scroll down to "working with plastic": https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=32

Brad
damn, dont you just love this hobby
Last edited by Blackrat; Aug 20, 2006 at 04:11 PM.