Jul 25, 2002, 02:07 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Thread OP

Just got my Cosmic Wind kit

I saw Martin Irvine have his test flight of his AF 010 powered Cosmic Wind at Mid-Americas. It flew really nicely, and a little talk turned out it was a prototype from the same gentleman who had made Keith Shaw's Estrellita years ago, convinced to start offering them again.

JMGlascraft was onsite, so I made the mistake of looking over their stuff. I left a little lighter in the wallet, and a box has shown up on my doostep!

Comes with a very nice lightweight glass fuse, reinforced with kevlar thread, wing cores, nicely sheeted at your discretion for a small fee, sheet and strip material for the LE, tailplane, etc, and other goodies to finish. I really think this is a cool kit for someone itching to try a smaller plane
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2002, 02:10 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Thread OP
Here you can see the little bits in the hardware kit. I especially love the little foam helmet rest and the included toothpick called out on the plans for the head pad!

Also has presoldered connectors and glass tape for the wing joiner.
Jul 25, 2002, 02:12 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Thread OP
Here you can see the internal reinforcement for the horizontal stab with balsa, nice for decreasing the stress riser there.
Jul 25, 2002, 02:16 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Thread OP
Here you can better see the various reinforced points on the fuse.

The only problem is I leave for a 2 week vacation this weekend and can't start building for a while

Oh yeah, here's the web site:
www.JMGlascraft.com

No afiliation, I just think it's a really cool kit. Look at their Estrellita and others!
Jul 25, 2002, 05:30 PM
Dr John
Tiggs,
You beat me to the pics. My Cosmic Wind just arrived yesterday. A small part of my job is inspecting fiberglass parts and the glass work on the JM Glascraft fuse is outstanding! I have a small repair job to do on my Ryan STA so I can fly this weekend and will be starting on the CW next week. I'm going to build with the full 30 inch wing and power will be an Astro 020 BL/DD on 7 or 8 600ae's. Target AUW is about 16 oz with 1 sq/ft of wing and around 150 watts. If my thumbs are up to it this bird should live up to it's name.
Jul 25, 2002, 06:03 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Thread OP
Glad to hear someone else has one of these!

I'll be interested to hear how yours comes out with the full wing and bigger power source. I'm going with the 120 sq version and an AF 010 (for now). I wonder how the "280 sized" brushless at hobby lobby stacks up, as far as amp draw, cell requirement, etc

A good person to ask this question, since you inspect fiberglass parts!

What will youy be using to fill any pinholes you find,
and do you have a favorite primer?
Aug 10, 2002, 07:58 AM
Dr John
Tiggs
The glass parts I inspect are all gelcoated, hit the www button below. As to the Cosmic Wind glasswork I don't see any pinholes. As I said the work is outstanding. I have not decided what I am going to do with the finish yet. In the past I used automotive laquer but it is getting hard to find.

Quick Reply