which battery charger? - RC Groups
May 18, 2001, 07:57 PM

which battery charger?

I have the plane, Push-E Cat, & the radio, hitec 3 channel FM, now I need a charger for the airplanes battery. The battery is a 9.6V 1400 mAh battery pack. I'm also wondering if I should get a receiver that can use the juice from the battery or use the one that came with the Tx that uses 4 AAA batteries. What do y'all suggest & where do you suggest getting it?

Thanks in advance.

Steve-S
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2001, 01:58 AM
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

I know that you can find basic timer chargers for $25 or so, but I think that everyone will recommend spending the money on a peak charger. Sooner or later, you will want the peak charger, and kick yourself for getting the timer charger. We all have been down that road. Also, most of the timer chargers will not charge 8 cells. Sooner or later, you will also want to run 8 cells.
The Hitec models are a good buy. The Astroflight are more versatile, but you do not need versatility right now.
For the money check out the Hitec 320 for about $55 on-line.

As for the receiver stuff, a plane's worst enemy is WEIGHT, so the less the better. But there is a piont where economics come into play as well. We all understand that, also. At least the reciever you have uses "AAA" size batteries, and not the heavier "AA". But if it is the "HFS-04MI", then it is a "single" conversion, which means it is much more susceptible to interference. Not a good thing.
The best would be to invest in a Hitec 555 receiver and use a speed control with the "BEC" built into it, which supplies power from your main battery to the receiver. I do not know what kind you have now, but this would be the way to go.

Also, you may want to check out some NIMH packs for extended run time with low weight. I use them in my Speed 400/480 stuff all the time and love them.

If you need some local help setting it up, let me know.
Have fun!

Shawn
eflightpower.com

[This message has been edited by sf_247 (edited 05-19-2001).]
May 19, 2001, 04:58 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
The low end of the "high end" chargers is probably the Hitec 335, for about $90. Good to 24 cells.

There are the newer 8 cell mini chargers for around $40 from Dymond and Multiplex.

The adage of "Buy right, Buy once" holds true though. Do a search for lots of info on many chargers.

For ref, I have 2 Orbit chargers and a Dymond Mini.
May 19, 2001, 07:06 AM
Astroflight 112D! Has not let me down in 3 year. 1-36 cells. 100ma to 5amps. Charges both nicads, and nimh packs.

Mike..

Quick Reply