Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 25, 2002, 07:32 AM
Go Wallabies!

Albatros DV

Gents here is my latest little effort.

I have to say it is the best flying model in my hanger at this time.

it is a speed 480bbrace with a 3.8 to 1 gearbox fed from 8 cp 1300 cells turning a 10x6 prop.

span is 38 inches scaled up from the earl Stal plans that i got from bengton, ( sorry i dont remember your first name). controlls are rudder aileron elevator and throttle.

I have to say this model is just fabulous. it lept off the ground at 3/4 throttle and flies really happily at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. loops are just a case of throttle up and up elevator. In the calm late afternoon air at my club last weekend i got 9 and a half minutes before i had to land and it wasnt all just figure 8's.

here is a pic. i still have to pull a spinner and paint the wings but this was its condition for the test flights. it isnt as good as some of the other wonderful models here but i am really pleased with it.

cheers

Craig
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2002, 10:22 AM
Designing on the edge
Craig,
What a lovely model! I am sure it is especailly really beautiful in the air too. How did you install the ailerons?

As you know, I did one from this plan set. Mine had some initial problems with wing incidence but after that it is a real nice flyer. I have to admit that the Albatros DV is on my top 5 list of all time most attractive planes. Perhaps even the top. I wonder if anyone would like a kit similar to this type? What do you think?

Kurt
Jul 25, 2002, 01:34 PM
D.G.B.
craigO,SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! The size is nice,but for me 60" would fill my wants.Keep up the great work from down under!!!!!!!stefanP
Jul 25, 2002, 02:39 PM
The Albatros D series were definitely the most beautiful WWI era aircraft, and they're in the running for the most beautiful ever. Yours is a fine example. What is your fuselage construction method?

I for one would love to see somebody kit the Albatros DV. A little bigger would be my preference, but I'd probably buy it at any reasonable scale.

Pete
Jul 25, 2002, 04:12 PM
Craig,
Nice mate, really nice. You've done a great job on one of THE greats.

Pete
Jul 25, 2002, 04:21 PM
D.G.B.

Laser kits

fok go here,www.funaero.com they have what your looking for KOMET44
Jul 25, 2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the link Stefan! 10-11 pounds, .91 engine, didn't realize they'd be so big. Maybe I ought to ask the tooth fairy for a 48" version.
Jul 25, 2002, 05:36 PM
D.G.B.
fok, i don'y remeber the web site but cleveland model plans offer it in 4 or 5 sizes. try them. It is pretty impressive kit .there was one plane at the WRAM show this past winter.there useing robart hinges to give it a somewhat scale look.stefanP
Jul 25, 2002, 05:48 PM
Craig,

Very nice model!! It looks great and sounds like it flies great too!!

You all get my vote for someone making a kit. I would like to see something in a 1/9 or 1/8 scale (44" span?). The Albatross D-V is one on the most graceful WWI birds with its rounded fusalage and smooth lines. There's also so many color variations to choose from.

Jim
Jul 26, 2002, 12:48 AM
Balsa Builder
I'd have to second Komet's recommendation on Fun Aero. They do excellent laser cutting. I was actually talking to Jan at Fun Aero today. Very nice lady. They give very fast service too.

Flying Models Magazine has a review of their Albatros DII kit in this months issue.

--Paul
Jul 26, 2002, 09:36 PM
Go Wallabies!

Thanks Guys

Thanks fellas

I am really pleased with it.

Kurt
I took your advice and did the wings at 0 and 2 degrees rather than what the plans showed.

I am only using one aileron servo in the middle of the wing with a simple snake. the ailerons arent terribly effective in the air but together with the rudder they are great,

fus us built up using 1/2 of the stringers shown in the plan and then covered in 1mm balsa sheet. it took a while an i originally thought of staining and doping it but eventually I got impatient to see it in the air and covered it all.

I made all of the cabanes out of wire to give me some extra strength and used a full depth 1/8th spar. i even used some thin carbon fibre strips over the dihedral braces to add som more strength.

at 38" and nearly 30 oz i thought it was going to be a pig but when it took off at 3/4 throttle and climebed away beautifully i changed my mind.

thanks for all of the compliments guys. i think that my next project might be a similarly sized DR1.

cheers

Craig
Jul 28, 2002, 11:44 AM
Ron
Ron
nice looking plane....The DR 1 is also one you will like. It flies,as a friend of mine says...... " like a Cub on steroids " and would be a great addition to your fleet. Keep up the good work.