May 10, 2018, 03:29 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
OF, NICE !!! Makes me think of making a mold for a thin Fiberglass fuselage ( and nose cone ) … That way we could make several versions …( pretty much eh ? ) When we were up at Lakehurst NJ ( some time ago) there were these little planes with really light fiberglass fuselages and foam wings and tail , and they flew Great … very Floaty … The weight is the key …but they looked Nice too … full fuse and all … Hmmm???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2018, 09:04 AM
old foamie
You mean a hollow fiberglass fuse in two halves, not fiberglass covered flat foam, like a profile ?
May 11, 2018, 01:16 PM
gpw
gpw
No, actually a one piece "full on" scale fuselage ( sorta’ ) …access inside through the bottom wing which comes off … simple wing struts fit into preformed slots … I’m searching for the name of those planes .. the glass work was as light as a feather and yet very strong …

Just an idea …
May 12, 2018, 12:26 PM
old foamie
This sounds interesting, hope you can come up with more information on it. I printed a picture of your simple fokker plan on a sheet of 8.5 by 11 and got a fuse length of 9 inches from nose to rudder. Then I printed out 3 views with the scaled fuse the same length , then I cut out the 3 view by side fuse , wing half, elevator half, then lay the cut outs over the same parts on the plan . they come out pretty good on proportions, and just adjust the outlines to suit the new plane to the original plane. Its pretty cheap to see what version you would want to go ahead and make. The internet is full of 3 views to try.
May 12, 2018, 01:08 PM
gpw
gpw
Well, we didn’t really make it exact , more like sorta’ scale … TLAR … the concern was more for the SIMPLE part than strictly Fokker…and we always make the tail feathers a little larger than scale for thse small planes (more stable ) We learned that from building many small rubber powered free flight planes a Long time ago …( anybody remember those ? )The Larger 48” Simple Fokker did indeed need a little extra horizontal stabilizer area, and was "twitchy pitchy” till we taped some more foam on the tail … we mentioned that somewhere…. post 328
May 15, 2018, 05:19 AM
gpw
gpw
Here’s an old Video … https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...KF-wings-steps
More Fun with the Big un …
May 15, 2018, 07:02 AM
old foamie
Nice video, does anybody else have any other videos ? It would be nice to see some.
May 15, 2018, 11:13 AM
gpw
gpw
Just a wild idea … perhaps a rather thick Undercambered airfoil , and a low KV motor turning a BIG low pitch prop… The 48” Fokker , constructed LIGHTLY could really fly at Scale looking speeds … It would be more susceptible to winds , but that’s expected . Being very lightly constructed , it would be a little more delicate requiring careful, efficient building …

Having built PJmass' Fokker Triplane Foamie which was a feather, we found it had outstanding performance and was really quite durable .
Thinking a foam crutch for the Fokker fuselage … stiffen things up a bit without adding much weight … I just really Like those ultra slow rollouts across the grass, then gradually picking up speed , slowly lifting off into the cool morning air air ..( and Not vertically ) hahaha But that’s Fun too eh !
May 15, 2018, 08:32 PM
old foamie
Yeah, rocket like performance by a WW-1 fighter just doesn't go together.
May 16, 2018, 03:53 AM
Have you seen videos of Jetset44's foam DR1? It flies nice and slow, then he switches modes and it goes full acrobat. The 3D flying is not my cup of tea, but what's not to like about a plane that does low and slow and can kick it up as well? Video's in the first post:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-DR1-Parkflyer
Jun 19, 2018, 10:57 AM
old foamie
I was tooling through some old threads and saw these pictures of some WW-1 profile planes , all painted up ,sharp. when the albatros picture come up ,just had to post it with the rest. They where made by rough and ready aviation, I dont know if they are still made or not,enjoy the picts.
Jun 20, 2018, 05:17 AM
gpw
gpw
Gosh , those are COOL !!! Thanks OF !!!
Jun 21, 2018, 09:32 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Lakehurst NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
<snip>When we were up at Lakehurst NJ ( some time ago) there were these little planes with really light fiberglass fuselages and foam wings and tail , and they flew Great … <snip>
I know that place. Unless I'm totally off, thats Hangar#1! The OLDEST (blimp) hangar there. Big enough to house the Hindenburg (whose memorial is located in field not that far away). The inside of that hangar is HUGE. I heard they used to host RC events but never had the chance to attend.

I was the on site Test Engineer at Lakehurst back in 2003 for 9 months during live trials of the arresting gear that my old company was supplying to the Marines (The M31 MCEAGS). While I was mostly out on the Air Strip or Test Track #5 I was in and out of that hangar on occasion. The massive old mechanism to open those hangar doors was amazing.
Jun 22, 2018, 04:58 AM
gpw
gpw
Hanger 1 , that’s it … Amazing building …

Quick Reply