Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 13, 2018, 08:17 AM
old foamie
Oh, i just noticed we're over a thousand posts , a milestone.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2018, 07:02 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
"Have you anything you're building for spring? “ …. Perhaps a Bomb shelter….
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Apr 15, 2018, 07:21 PM
old foamie
You just have to be more optimistic.
Apr 15, 2018, 10:42 PM
flyin' fool
He has to be if he thinks a blubucker will take a hit.
Apr 16, 2018, 06:53 AM
gpw
gpw
HAHAHAHA Just Kidding !!! Actually for Spring we have at least half a dozen Foamies , already pre assembled in advance ( during the building season ) awaiting gear , so we’re all ready for summer …More than plenty of planes to fly , plus the old ones that get dragged out from time to time … Unlike Balsa Planes , Foamies (although supposedly “disposable”) just seem to last forever…I already have waaaay too many … anybody want some … ?

Note: we actually found an Excess of planes on hand seems to limit new building , as it's all a matter of available hanger space… (which we ran out of long ago )
Apr 16, 2018, 07:01 AM
gpw
gpw
… And regarding these Fokkers , we really like the scale like (SLOW) performance of the undercambered airfoils ( made on the BendFoam device ) … They flew like "the Real Thing !!! " That and we never had much interest in WW1 3D biplanes … Much preferring our dedicated 3D planes for that … Must be old habits from long ago , when scale planes flew like a scale plane , and aerobatic planes did everything else .

There’s just something very special about a large lightly loaded scale biplane … We’d set the 48” SF Bipe in the street , bring the throttle to about half way , and let it gradually build up speed and lift off by itself … Looked so real in the morning mist …
Apr 16, 2018, 07:59 AM
old foamie
Aah, the sight of insperation.
Apr 16, 2018, 08:14 AM
old foamie
I just had a thought, was there anything that flew slow and scale like the Simple Fokker, but was WW-2 era that didn't fly as fast as a jet model or is it odd to have one that doesn't burns up the sky and a handful to fly?
Apr 16, 2018, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
I just had a thought, was there anything that flew slow and scale like the Simple Fokker, but was WW-2 era that didn't fly as fast as a jet model or is it odd to have one that doesn't burns up the sky and a handful to fly?
You bet! I've had 4:

My Blu-109: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9-a-FFF-ME-109
Printed P-40 (looks nice too): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...91&postcount=2
Gene Bond's C-47: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3-C-47-project
GPW's P-38: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-Profile-P-38

All flew well, but I enjoyed flying the P-40 the most. There is even a model for it in one of the free RC flight simulators that simulates the model very well.
Apr 16, 2018, 12:04 PM
Scratch building addict
Yes....One of my favorite planes and an extremely stable/extremely slow flier is a version of the famous monobloc 109 the mo-109.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Messerschmitt

I made the wingspan a little oversized, I used DT foam with paper peeled as the fuse sides and stiffer bluecor for the wings, used a closet dowel clamping jig to create slight undercamber when thrown in the oven.,

Then I did what I always do ever since.... glued a lightweight foam strip vertically 30% back of leading edge, and glued on some 1mm depron to lead and trailing edge as the upper surface .....way light and WAY floatier than a KF wing.. That plane is magic, a huge speed range and will fly perfectly stable at walking speed 5ft above the ground. 30gm motor and 3s500mah batt.

I have a my version of a simple fokker on my inactive blog.

Another very stable airframe is the p51, warbirds make great slow fliers because they were made to be extremely stable gun platforms.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:31 PM
flyin' fool
The Blu n' Bamboo Spite in the foreground has a million air miles on it and been rebuild numerous times as it was eventually commissioned as a trainer. It was available as a kit way back when, a FB bought one and I copied it. Got a nice plaque on my shop wall that I won at a fun fly with it. Remember those events?

Gave it you a new young pilot.
Apr 17, 2018, 05:49 AM
gpw
gpw
TOG’s Birddog , was a good one too …. Russian RATA was a good slow flier ... If you want to slow these “fighters
down , just use an undercambered foam airfoil ( and keep it LIGHT) … They still work Great … !!!
Last edited by gpw; Apr 17, 2018 at 05:56 AM.
Apr 17, 2018, 11:00 AM
old foamie
All my goodness, I just remembered these.
Apr 18, 2018, 05:42 AM
gpw
gpw
OF, Yes, that works too !!!

ps. I'd suggest makng the vertical fin a little bigger … just a little ...
Apr 18, 2018, 07:18 AM
gpw
gpw
Although this one used the Universal Fuselage , it could have easily have been a Profile fuselage , I was thinking 3/4” foam sanded round ish’… real simple ...

Quick Reply