Jul 13, 2006, 08:59 AM
You deserve my opinion

Build this plane!

The night before last I cut out the Fokker and last night put most of it together. Wow! Can't fully explain why, but this plane was really a fun build. I think it's the simplicity of it combined with the vintage good looks. (Watching a John Wayne western during the build might have helped too!) I've been bored with my builds lately because my foamies are too much alike. This one is not!

Can't wait to finish this thing up and go out for a maiden. I have no doubt that this will be an excellent flyer. I am concerned about my flying skills since about all I've ever flown is slow r/e/t planes with plenty of dihedral (Blue Albacorde would be an exception...hmmm note to self...build another B-A).

Apologies to GPW for the tri-ply fuse. I know this is overkill and violates the "prime directive," but wanted to be able to mount the GWS motor securely and needed something that would bounce back from crashes while I'm trying to fly with ailerons. Looks to me that I've added nearly an ounce to the plane by doing the tri-ply. I think I'm going to come in between 7-8 oz.

Will let you know how the maiden goes. In the mean time, build this plane! You'll have a blast!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2006, 11:13 AM
Foam Wannabe
Nice little squadron you have hanging in the garage! Your Fokker looks nice. I'm definitely waiting on the maiden report.

Ron
Jul 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
I saw this thread and had to say how fun it is. I drew up 15 different WWI planes for our group about a year ago. Our requirement where that they all had to be 36 in wingspan and all powered by the same type of motor as we were going to build them for an all out dog fight. A few were finished and we still have dawn patrol every now and then.

BoiseRC WWI Dawn Patrol

Jul 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
You deserve my opinion
Ron, Thanks for the kind comment.

Aeropylot, Looks like you're the one having fun! Man, what a cool project. Even a tripe! Are the plans you drew up posted anywhere?

Pat
Jul 13, 2006, 03:50 PM
Whats a search engine?
? whats a Yellow Testors spit bomb? I know Testors makes glue and paint .... but whats a spit bomb...?
Last edited by inventing_man; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
Jul 14, 2006, 06:54 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
spray paint !!!! Cheap little cans of Testors enamel in the models (toy ) section...
Try using a more specific term to Google ... !!!???
Apylot ... Cool , You guys selling the plans???? ....Where??? ...Quanto ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
You deserve my opinion

Sign me up for the Dawn Patrol!

Wow! Just got back from the maiden flight of my Fokker! Awesome. Much different that I anticipated.

Beautiful morning, 6 am, no wind. I flew my Fat P-47 around a few times to "warm up," thinking that the Fokker would be a real handful.

After screwing up my courage, I went to the Fokker, slapped on a battery and did my pre-flight. Let's see, do I have the ailerons right? Never done this before. Which way turns right, which way left? Where's my "RC for Dummies" book when I need it?

Decided to launch the plane and fly with only r/e/t until I gained some altitude. Much to my surprise, when I launched the plane it flew almost perfectly right out of my hand...gently, but with enough authority to do what I needed to do. With a little altitude and a few gentle circles under my belt, I got the plane where I wanted it and tried the ailerons. Opps! I got it wrong! Back to rudder/elevator (Man, the rudder on the left stick screws with my brain!) Landed, reversed the servo direction for the ailerons and launched again. Perfect! Just a little minor tweeking on the aileron trim and it's flying beautifully.

I love this plane! It's fun to build and a blast to fly, but already I wish I'd built it exactly according to the plan. The additional weight (about an ounce?) is mostly toward the rear of the plane, so instead of using a 2-cell 700 mah that I'd planned, I had to go to a heavier 2-cell 1200...more weight...in order to get the CG right.

As I've built it, it is extremely durable, but now that I've flown it I don't see the need for the extra durability. It's way more than needed. I envisioned a lot of crashes/hard landings because this is my first aileron plane, but it's so easy to fly I don't think that's going to be the case. I just need a better way to attach the motor and go with a single-ply fuse.

GPW, another terrific design! My maiden was good reinforcement not to violate the "prime directive" (Don't mess with the designer's plan!).

Guys, build this plane! I really think you'll enjoy it. And it has a very realistic look in the air.

Pat
Jul 14, 2006, 08:05 AM
Pat,

Great fligh and build report. Thanks to you and Glen, I now have to add the Simple Fokker to my build list ( along with jerbear's corsair, a printed bird dog, mydigitalparadise's updated P-40......) It just doesn't end!
Jul 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
These WWI planes are fun especially when you get a couple in the air at the same time. As for the plans I do have them in TurboCad and they are pretty much just cut plans but they are so simple who needs directions right?
Jul 15, 2006, 06:16 AM
gpw
gpw
Right .... It did say SIMPLE !!!!!!hahahahahahaha

Shirt .... COOL!!!!!!! "D
Jul 15, 2006, 08:14 AM
You deserve my opinion
Thanks, Guys!

Aeropylot, Right on. Most of us don't follow directions very well anyway! :-)
Jul 16, 2006, 06:11 AM
gpw
gpw
That's TRUE !!!! and following the instructions utilizes all the time spent by the designer , trying to make it "Fool proof"....hahahahah
Pylot ... Now about all those plans ... what about us middling few that don't have TC...
Jul 16, 2006, 08:54 AM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Pylot ... Now about all those plans ... what about us middling few that don't have TC...
But some of us do, and a glad to help out
Jul 16, 2006, 09:34 AM
You deserve my opinion
Hey, makes me feel better. I don't have TC either, but would love to have access to the plans. These WWI buggies are a whole new kind of fun!
Jul 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
gpw
gpw
The really best part for me is the flying .... The Fokker will do 3D style flying while looking exactly like a vintage WW1 fighter on patrol .... COOL !!! It is, in part my imagination filling in the gaps ... but it sure is FUN !!!! and So much simpler than all the other bipes , I've built lately ...

Quick Reply