Apr 30, 2001, 03:59 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP

suggestions for geardrive on wingo

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get confident enough of my flying skills that I am planning on risking a small digital camera on my plane soon.

I've looked at the geardrive that HL sells for the wingo and it seems really expensive compared to other geardrives/ props I've seen out there. And the gear ratio seems pretty low. Is this because the Wingo NEEDS the higher speed afforded by the low gear ratio? I'm interested in something a bit more "geared" like 2:1 or 3:1 so that I can swap it in and out with another big slowflyer I'm designing.

So the big question is what prop should I use if I were buying HL's "MPY345 Metal Gearbox for SPEED 400's" w/ 2:1, 2.5:1, 3:1 gear ratios. I want to get my Wingo off the ground, and I don't want to draw any more current than the direct drive w/gunther prop that's on there now.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2001, 06:19 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
The gear ratio is low because there isn't enough prop clearance for a large prop. The Wingo's alter ego, the Poppy, comes with a gearbox, but the motor is mounted further away from the boom.

FWIW, I ran my Wingo geared for a while, but just went back to direct drive. I ended up putting blocks above the wing to raise the motor and either I got the thrust line wrong or the higher thrust line caused a pitching motion with throttle.

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Apr 30, 2001, 06:27 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP
Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'd be stuck with the lower gear ratio and smaller prop, unless... could I use a higher gear ratio, the small prop, but a higher pitch?

The main reason I wanted to try a geared setup was so I could loft a camera into the air. Maybe I should consider a powered sailplane instead, since at some point I'd like to get into sailplanes.

Apr 30, 2001, 09:15 PM
I use a the graupner 2.33:1 gear with a 9x5 prop. A good setup for the wingo is a speed 400 6v with a 2.33 gear and 9x5 prop.
Apr 30, 2001, 09:55 PM
See this link...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Descript...tem=AAE&refer=

call them...tell them you want to buy the motor, gearbox and prop that comes with the Soarstar. It will only set you back about $30 plus shipping. It will be the best upgrade you can buy for your direct drive Wingo. Furthermore, a heck of alot cheaper than anything Hobby Lobby can offer.

[This message has been edited by JMEYERS (edited 04-30-2001).]
Apr 30, 2001, 11:31 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
I use the metal box you describe with 2.1GR, a 6V sp400, 9X5 slim prop and fly with floats and a camera at the same time - no problem.
May 01, 2001, 11:25 AM
Frequent User
Thread OP
Excellent!

Now watch, I'll get all clumsy with $100 worth of camera equipment in the air
May 02, 2001, 05:14 AM
JP
JP
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal:
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get confident enough of my flying skills that I am planning on risking a small digital camera on my plane soon.

Why risc a digital camera? I bought disposable camera from FUJI, 25 exp. film, H format for $5. It weights 40gr. and is flying with my Twinstar...

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
May 05, 2001, 11:54 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP
I want to use a digital camera for a couple reasons.

1) I can take more than one shot at a time while in the air.

2) Instant gratification. I want to see the results of my efforts as soon as I land.

Quick Reply