Jun 16, 2006, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Discussion

Main question: I have a question about construction. The instructions say to use plastic cement several times during construction--including gluing plastic to balsa and plastic to cardboard. I am comfortable using plasitc cement to glue two pieces of plastic together, but in these other applications I am wondering if epoxy would be a better way to go?

Has anyone flown this rocket? And how does it preform? The wing has no dihedral, afterall? Of course, this didn't keep me from buying the kit. It looks cool!

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, lots of the Estes kits say to use plastic cement to bond plastic with wood or paper. I've never had any problems with it, but epoxy would produce a stronger bond. Plastic cement is a little more convenient though...
Last edited by just some guy; Jun 25, 2006 at 07:52 AM.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Carter,
I just finished this rocket and had the same reservations about the plastic cement you did. I used Ca or epoxy for all joints involving different matereials. I assume from your question that you have the modern version of this kit as the old one didn't use plastic for the swing wing mechanism. I have built both versions now and have to tell you that the old plywood and dowel construction seems to be more durable. I am in the test gliding stage and have already broken the little plastic pin that holds the rubber band that powers the swing wing mechanism. The one on the moving part of the wing. Before you get to the finishing stage, I would try and figure out a way to beef that up some, maybe center drilling it and adding a piece of hard wire or carbon fiber rod. Hope it all comes out well for you. Later, John.
Jun 25, 2006, 09:05 AM
One other thing, I am not so sure that the cg they show is right. Seems to far aft for good gliding flight. I had to add a lot of clay to the back end to achieve it and haven't gotten a good glide out of it yet with it there. Still have to repair my wing mechanism before I can try it out again. John.
Apr 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
I have a question about this rocket:
The instructions make a big to-do about how the engine tube has to freely slide out of the back of the glider, but then they instruct you to just kind of wad up the parachute and jam it in, effectively locking the engine tube into the glider. the engine tube is lightweight enough that i almost think it doesn't need a parachute. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Apr 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Because the motor is in one end, the tube will streamline in. If it were just the motor, it would tumble.

As far as packing the chute, there is shoving it in and jamming it in. If the chute is actually jammed tight, it will hinder the ejection, but there is enough room to properly pack the chute and fit it in there. The old rule is that if you can't blow it out, neither can the ejection charge.

- Roger
Apr 28, 2008, 12:41 PM

Question about the Scissor-Wing Transport

Hi I am new here! I have got an Scissor-Wing Transport but his first launch was realy bad , and I have got an question about the Center of Grafitation while the Boost-Configuration with the insert engine and Powerpot, whre is your Center of Grafitation. Please give an answer in Milimetres, because I am German!
Please do not be so hard to me when I had make a mistake!
May 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
I had built one of these back in the mid-seventies when I was a kid.
I used the plastic cement when glueing plastic to wood/cardboard.
I would let the plastic melt a little before I attached it to the wood/cardboard.
It worked very well.
I don't like using CA with cardboard because the CA joint can crack and come apart.

I used a brite-orange streamer for the engine pod recovery, and I made sure that it was a loose fit.
Unfortunately, on my maiden flight I used the most powerful motor with it.
It flew majestically upwards an upon reach apogee the wings deployed beautifully and then it glided away.

Living in NYC, the average life span of my rockets was 3 flights.
But that didn't deter me away from flying
Last edited by WWIFlyin'Ace; May 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Jun 02, 2008, 12:34 PM
Heay whats now with the Center of Gravitation while bost configuration with insert engine? How many mm from the rear is the Center of Gravitation while this??

Quick Reply