Jun 15, 2006, 12:48 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Thread OP
Discussion

Celebrating Father's Day: Photos?

Got photos that somehow tap into Father's Day and your love of aeronautics?

I mean, for many of us, who we gonna blame for at least some our happy addictions?

Here's my father and some of us Roodlings down on the football field at Pali High, Pacific Palisades, California, sometime wayyy back in 1965. Check out my suffering older sister Chrissy, now ain't that some classic early adolescent discomfort, baby!

Airplane is the CHIPPER II, an all-balsa freeflight machine from an article in Model Airplane New magazine. I sent away for the plans, oh man was so psyched when they arrived! For hard-core strength I covered those wings with silk and 4,000 gallons of Pactra AeroGloss dope. Powered by a Cox Pee Wee .020, Cox Thimble Drome fuel in there and one of those big ol' batteries to zap that glow-plug!

One time she circled up eastward outa the football field and over the school buildings and out of sight, and later we found her sittin' pretty on the baseball field (Temescal Canyon Road & Sunset Blvd.) without a scratch !

Happy Father's Day everybody.
Last edited by John Rood; Oct 30, 2015 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2006, 01:05 PM
auto-tune remix
My sister had the same horn-rim glasses...
Jun 15, 2006, 01:05 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Thread OP
And here's our Uncle Paul, who took the above photo.

Career USAF, his first solo was in a jet, the T-37, then on to T-38's as you see here and then he flew B-52's with SAC and later C-130's with TAC in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war. Awesome role model for us.
Last edited by John Rood; Jun 15, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Jun 15, 2006, 03:59 PM
DS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rood
Got photos that somehow tap into Father's Day and your love of aeronautics?

I mean, for many of us, who we gonna blame for at least some our happy addictions?

Here's my father and some of us Roodlings down on the football field at Pali High, Pacific Palisades, California, sometime wayyy back in 1965. Check out my suffering older sister Chrissy, now ain't that some classic early adolescent discomfort, baby!

Airplane is the CHIPPER II, an all-balsa freeflight machine from an article in Model Airplane New magazine. I sent away for the plans, oh man was so psyched when they arrived! For hard-core strength I covered those wings with silk and 4,000 gallons of Pactra AeroGloss dope. Powered by a Cox Pee Wee .020, Cox Thimble Drome fuel in there and one of those big ol' batteries to zap that glow-plug!

One time she circled up eastward outa the football field and over the school buildings and out of sight, and later we found her sittin' pretty on the baseball field (Temescal Blvd. & Sunset Blvd.) without a scratch !

Happy Father's Day everybody.
Brilliant shot! I'm going to take my DLG and hopefully my Omega II (if it's done this weekend) down to Pali High to fly this Saturday!
Jun 15, 2006, 06:35 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Thread OP
Cool --- take some pics if you can!

As kids we used to test fly RC gliders on the baseball field, throwing them off from the chainlink fence atop the ivy up there along Sunset. Gave a nice opportunity to check out c/g and pitch/roll/yaw trim in quiet air.
Jun 19, 2006, 01:47 PM
Check out that airfoil!
Oct 28, 2015, 10:14 PM

Chipper II redeux!

Just surfin' around when I came across the pix of my beloved Chipper II! I was 12, 50 years ago, and found the plans in the M.A.N. in our school library. I applied all the math I could muster and scaled up the plans and built it exactly as shown. (Didn't want to take any chances with my precious Pee Wee .020!)
First flight was off the ice of a frozen lake in the Catskill Mtns (Wolf Lake) in upstate NY, where my Dad had built a cabin. It ROG'd (ROI'd?) beautifully and flew in sweet circles climbing and descending. Summer came and I put it on floats. It needed hand launching, but the flights were the same.
Are there any plans for this ancient beauty still floating around? Even photos from directly above would be good. Might build a 2X size for electric R/C, but keep it looking original.
Yes, it flew that good. Next on the list is a Li'l Esquire, my first R/C.
Oct 30, 2015, 10:33 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Thread OP
Oh my gosh -- I'd completely forgotten about this whole conversation I started, what -- in 2006? Where does the time go? :-)

@Live to Fly: I am about 99% certain you can download plans for this model via one of those "free plans" forums here on RC Groups or elsewhere.

And thanks so much for sharing your excellent recollections -- I completely relate! Stay in touch -- clearly you have THE RIGHT STUFF. :-)
Last edited by John Rood; Oct 30, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Nov 04, 2015, 11:00 PM

Chipper II... Woo Hoo!

John,
Just got back from a long trip and so happy you caught my note. The Chipper II was a childhood favorite, and taught me much about aerodynamics (and how you can get away with murder with airfoils!!
I've been searching for the plans, M.A.N., and many others (keeps me out of trouble) but no luck. I believe from the plan photos I can reconstruct a decent Chipper, and bring back a 50 - year old memory.
Thanks for the reply. We are definitely the lucky ones.

Fred

PS... Still flyin' R/C, a full scale Super Cub, and a Lear 60 for a charter company near Pittsburgh. Just can't get enuf.
Nov 04, 2015, 11:30 PM

Found the plans! Chipper II

John,
I just found a M.A.N. magazine on Ebay from December 1964 that contains the Chipper II plans. Ten bucks, free shipping. Cover price says 50 cents. Oh well, things have changed, and 50 cents was big bucks to a twelve year old back then. If/when it arrives I will scan and publish what I can.
Now how about a 6 ft span electric R/C?
Hah! Let's go full scale!
Regards,
Fred
Dec 29, 2015, 12:20 PM
I also had a Chipper. I lost it in a bean field and searched for it for several days. When we cut the beans, it was exposed and returned, what was left of it. The engine was rusted beyond repair and the field mice had pretty well chewed it up. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Quick Reply