Jun 12, 2006, 04:39 PM
GO HOKIES
Discussion

My Big Bird is done!!!

I glassed the fuselage using 3/4oz glass and polyurethane (coat, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, paint). Had my maiden flight this past Saturday. Got a 37 min flight later on in the day too! My first covering job, I need a scale but this plane is LIGHT! I was up a full minute just on my first hand toss. What do you guys think?

to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
looks great! i just finished my big bird earlier this year, and love it... i'm not home nearly enough to really get to enjoy this bird, but just in the couple weekends i have been around to get it out, i've had so much fun with it! HUGE upgrade from my first plane, a GP spirit.

by the way mine came out at 43 oz. with everything in it. enjoy it!
Jun 12, 2006, 05:10 PM
more kW, more problems
wow... a minute on a javelin hand launch with that big bird, that's awesome! good job and thanks for sharing.
Jun 12, 2006, 05:28 PM
excellent build job and looks like she flies well too
Jun 12, 2006, 06:00 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Nicely done!

Rick
Jun 13, 2006, 09:28 AM

Big Birdie

Very nice!!!!! enjoy can't get any better,,,,,just makes me want to start mine......Big Bird or the Skybird....mmmmm decisions decisions......

Best Regards,

Wylie S.
Dec 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
LSF 1359
Looks great! Are you flying next Saturday? I'll be there.
Latest blog entry: Espad RL & 2.5 Organic
Dec 21, 2006, 04:16 AM
Fly long and land softly
Looks really nice! And glad it flies well. Hope you are still enjoying it now.

I'm thinking about building one this winter. Have dug around some on-line. Surprised how little recent I found about building them. I suppose this sailplane has been around long enough that all the bugs are worked out and there is not much need to do build logs, discuss mods, etc.

I did see some discussion, perhaps it was on the skybench site, about some mod to beef up the spar just a little for zooms without fear. Assuming I build a Big Bird, I want to be sure ahead of time that I have no worries whatsoever on the winch launch.

Several locals bought ARF BOTs, and they came apart on the winch, one on the maiden (very easy) launch. I simply don't want to build something I cannot put the pedal to the floor on when winching.
Dec 22, 2006, 07:50 AM

Bird Series Spar System

Mate the Spar system in the Bird series is a very robust design, you'll have no worries...to make it even stronger apply carbon fiber to the top of the spar and to the bottom of the lower spar. You might want to talk with Ray Hayes in reference to this...as he is the designer/kitter...

best regards,

Wylie S.