Jun 12, 2006, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What else should I get

I am completely new to this hobby, but travel to the Apollo 11 field in Van Nuys nearly every weekend. The more I go, the more I want to fly.

I have bought a Spektrum system (after given much advice)
I will be buying an Easystar and I believe then come with a motor.

What else should I get?

Battery? what kind? how many? Not ready for Lippo's?
Charger? what kind?

Anything that can be suggested?

Thanks
Paul
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
www.hobby-lobby.com has a complete outfit of the best components on their easystar page. They use a 12 amp jeti microprocessor speed control ($37.90),a 7 cell 1100Mah nimh battery(2590),a graupner ultramat 5 peak charger,and 2 HS-55 [email protected] $16.50 each. You could also use HS-81's or gws naro standard servos. I recomend getting a dynomite prophet sport charger cause it costs about 1/2 what the graupner ultramat 5 costs. the prophet sport is available at www.dynamiterc.com. if you dont want to shop online than your LHS should have most of this stuff.

cmf
Jun 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
I almost forgot www.hobby-lobby.com has a ready to fly version of the easystar for $189

cmf
Jun 12, 2006, 02:54 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
kangman

If you don't mind trawling through a few threads, the best place to find everything on the Easystar is to use 'Search'

If you look near the top of the page there is a menu bar with 'Search' at the right hand end. Click on it then type easystar.

You should get a lot of threads with all sorts of information on recommendations, hints and tips, possible problems, batteries, and upgrades.

Hope this helps.
Jun 12, 2006, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Ca, thanks for the input. I have seen the complete RTF but thought the controler wasn't the greatest - single stick. Plus I thought that as I have been reading a lot of posts about the Easystar that I would get great advice - which I have. The charger part is great as I could never figure out exactly what I needed.

Eflight, I have already done what you said but found some of the lingo above my head. You are very correct in saying that there is a lot of info scattered about the forums.

I have also noticed that because this is a world wide forum that some of the items are not always available in my area.

I hope you don't mind me showing my shoping list once I have decided.

Paul
Jun 12, 2006, 08:23 PM
Just call me .... Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaman
I have seen the complete RTF but thought the controler wasn't the greatest - single stick.
Are you refering to the transmitter (tx)? You will not need that since you have a DX-6. A "controler" is used for the motor throttle control in place of a servo that would be used on a glow plane;it is also called an "esc".

All in all I think you've made an excellent choice in a starter plane.
Jun 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Solid, You are correct - I should have use the abrv tx and not controler.
I am still learning the lingo. But is is funny you mentioned that cause if you don't speak the speak - very few people talk to you..

As you can see, i am trying to get it all separatly so I can get better quality.

I think I will go to the LHS (got that one) which is Hobby People and buy it all this week.

Paul
Jun 13, 2006, 05:12 AM
I have the Prophet Sport and it is a good basic charger for only $30. It has peak detection, charges NiMh and NiCad, 1,2 and 4 amp charge rates, AC or DC power. If you can afford about twice the price you may want to look into something with an LCD screen that shows volts, amps, etc.
Jun 13, 2006, 06:01 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Paul,

The terms will come to you the more you read these forums. There is a "Sticky" at the start of this forum with a dictionary that should help you understand a lot.

Good luck and good flying! Let us know how your maiden flight goes.

-Bill
Jun 13, 2006, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
You are all so supportive, Thanks.

For the charger I am thinking about getting a Triton.

Added question. What do you think of these simulation programs. I can see that they are about the same price as a TX unit, but I am reading rave reports about them.

Paul
Jun 13, 2006, 12:44 PM
don't spend money on a sim.

Download FMS for free and download the easystar model for FMS and you can crash as many times as you want to with no damage on the computer before your maiden voyage.

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

http://www.detract-online.de/www.mpx...emid=8&lang=en

As far as chargers, if you are planning to start with Nicad/nimh...buy the cheapest charger you can. If you stick around and end up using lipos, chargers like the commonsense balance charger and the FMA Cellpro 4s are at the cutting edge of lipo charging. Their auto charging ability makes it perfect for beginner lipo users, no settings to screw up and cause a fire. I am a fan of the Cellpro myself as it has a digital readout of all cell voltages and mah added as well as many many other features that the commonsense doesnt. For 80 bucks shipped, there is nothing that beats it for folks who have no desire to get a masters degree in proper lipo maintenance from RCG.
Last edited by mike_mn; Jun 13, 2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: 2c added about chargers
Jun 14, 2006, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike, is connecting my Spektrum easy? have you used this sim?

Paul
Jun 14, 2006, 10:18 AM
you need a cable that will plug into your PC and to your Tx. Ummm...these links should get you started to figuring out how to find a cable and hook it up to FMS.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463395

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...ad886840f7b41d

My first plane was an easystar and I spent many hours on the sim before my maiden. You can read about it in my blog.

FMS will save you a lot of crashes and the easystar will save you from a lot of repairs.

Good Flying
Jun 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Great info..

Paul
Jun 14, 2006, 03:48 PM
RC Veteran
Charger - get something that will support you in the future. I recommend the Multiplex LN5014.

Battery packs - 8 cell, 2/3 A size NiMH packs. 900-1200 mAh range. Each pack will let you fly 10-20 minutes, depending on usage. Your local hobby shop should have some packs like this.

Quick Reply