Jul 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!

EPP really helps a new pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Frost
racerxky; Please Help! My son wants to learn how to fly F3P and I don't know where to get him any help. Will you talk to me through this site?
Here is my $0.02's worth of advice.

Once your son starts flying indoors, he will need a plane that can handle the inevitable hard contact with the floor and walls. Depron planes like the Osiris (I just bought one and love it) do fly beautifully, but, in a new pilot's hands, they won't fly for long. A plane built partially or completely from EPP foam is an excellent choice for a new pilot practicing F3P. I agree with Aio_1 that a scratch-built plane can be just as good a choice as a kit. Aio_1 didn't mention the Index 3 plane he designed, but I highly recommend it.

You can build an Index 3 with less than $20 worth of depron and EPP. If you do manage to finally damage it to the point where repair is impractical, you can cut out more foam and reuse the motor, electronics and carbon fiber rods. Here's a link to a posting showing how I modified the Index 3 with EPP foam parts. This airframe survived MANY hard hits to the floor. Most hits did not require repair. The foam on the nose tore a few times, but that was easily repaired. The horizontal fuselage NEVER broke behind the wing, a spot where all of my depron fuselage planes broke. (posting #630 at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...623223&page=42 )

I strongly recommend using a flexible glue like Welders or UHU por when gluing EPP.

Good luck.

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2018, 09:02 PM
Tell what it is possible to manufacture such hinges of?
Dec 15, 2018, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilon707
Dec 16, 2018, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Heat shrink tubing.
Dec 16, 2018, 04:09 AM
Tell and how temperature-2 affects a tube? I want to fly in the winter.
Dec 16, 2018, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Tell and how temperature-2 affects a tube? I want to fly in the winter.
I haven't flown a model with the heat shrink push rod to control surface post connection in the winter, but I don't think you will have any trouble.

I've used this type of connection on a few models and only had to replace one.

I've attached a closeup of the connection on one of my indoor models. I shrink the tubing over the push rod just enough that it can just slide on the rod. Take the tubing and bend it in half, check the fit, glue in place with a drop of thin CA at the ends of the heat shrink tubing.
Dec 16, 2018, 08:13 PM
Understood thanks
Dec 14, 2019, 08:17 AM
Hello everyone. I open this subject because I undertake to make it myself this week. I already have the 3mm depron and the plans on paper.
I may be silly, it is not impossible, I read everything 2 times, but I did not find anything on the site of the CG!
Can someone tell me where it is centered?
Thanking you in advance
Dec 14, 2019, 11:52 AM
as this is my first, is there an assembly plan?
Dec 16, 2019, 08:17 AM
Senior to who? Member
For the CG, use the standard 33% and make sure you achieve it with components placed such that you can move the battery to change the CG to suit your taste. If you are clueless how to figure 33% use this https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php

As for assemble, this thread starts out with photos of the process, just do what Dan did. This stuff is too basic for there to be fancy instructions for self designed models. If you are not really comfortable figuring it out on your own, buy a foam kit plane and learn by building it.
Dec 17, 2019, 01:42 AM
Watts is where its at!
Thread OP
This thread was started more than a decade ago. I think this was maybe my third or fourth model airplane? Its so long now that I really don't remember much about the model. This thread knows more than I do now!

Good luck with the build! Seeing this makes we want to get back to designing model airplanes again!

Quick Reply