Jun 09, 2006, 01:26 PM
The Great White
Discussion

Ihlgf 2007

Hello World!

It took me a while to realize where the action has moved when it comes to HLG/DLG discussions. Thank you Brad for bringing this to my attention. I keep looking at the old stanby's, RCSE and SAL, for comments regarding IHLGF 2006 and I noticed that there were not as many as there had been in the past...now I know why. I may be a slow learner but now that the 2x4 has been firmly planted between my eyes, I have the picture.

It's never too soon to start a thread on the IHLGF 2007. With this forum, you can be part of the process of creating the IHLGF 2007. We can always use input in order to make the IHLGF even better.

So this is the begining. The IHLGF 2007 will be June 2-3.

Much more to come!

Ron Scharck
Last edited by scharck; Jul 08, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2006, 03:09 PM
Bruce Davidson
Hey Ron, these things have been getting better and better. Not just the event but the level of competition was way up this year. It was really nice how you guys figured out to control the weather this time too. On Thursday and Friday there was stupid lift all day to build our confidence. Things got tougher and tougher as the contest went on until the final flyoff rounds when we saw the toughest conditions EVER at Poway. Nicely done TPG, I can hardly until next year. I allready have my reservations at the Poway Cuntry Inn. For the first time I could not stay around for a trip to Parker for some slope action but I will be there next year.

Bruce Davidson
See ya at the Pole Cat
Jun 09, 2006, 04:42 PM
Easily bored
Hey Ron, two suggestions for next year:

I think it would be helpful if you could post the heat assignments a day or two before the contest. It would have been nice if I could have made a nice schedule with my timers instead of figuring it out during the contest.

Secondly... do we really need that boundary line so far back? If the no-fly zone stays the same, I think it would be perfectly viable to use more of the field. At times it felt really crowded out there launching and landing. Stiff penalties and no leniency would keep the guys from flying where they're not supposed to fly.

Aside from that, I think it's a great contest. Perfectly run, no frequency issues, and even nice sandwiches. Thanks!
Jun 09, 2006, 05:01 PM
The heat assignments were posted at the field on Friday. I had my timers lined up about five minutes after they were posted.
Jun 09, 2006, 05:11 PM
Ron and Wildewinds:

I really think the movement of the field boundary line was less of a problem than the rough condition that the north end of the field was in. I never felt comfortable flying out of there, as there was several times that I nearly twisted an ankle in the "oat" covered ruts while trying to launch or land my airplane.

If it's a matter of lack of manpower to do that work, sign me up for a work weekend before next year's IHLGF.
Jun 09, 2006, 05:45 PM
I agree with Brian. The ruts on the hay bail side of the field were an issue. I did my best to avoid that side of the field. In the heat of the contest though it is sometimes not so easy to do, and it would be no fun to twist an ankle.

As for the boundary, I actually liked where it was. It made for a good challenge getting back on field. I noticed some people changed their tactics a little because of the moved boundary.

I am curious if the land owner was happy with the results of the no fly zone?

Tom
Jun 19, 2006, 09:10 PM
The Great White
Hey Ron, these things have been getting better and better. Not just the event but the level of competition was way up this year. It was really nice how you guys figured out to control the weather this time too. On Thursday and Friday there was stupid lift all day to build our confidence. Things got tougher and tougher as the contest went on until the final flyoff rounds when we saw the toughest conditions EVER at Poway. Nicely done TPG, I can hardly until next year. I allready have my reservations at the Poway Cuntry Inn.
Bruce Davidson
Last edited by scharck; Jun 19, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Jun 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
The Great White
Bruce: Thanks for the kind words. The real heros of the IHLGF have to start with the CD, Keith Finkenbiner who kept you unruly pilots in order...most of the time; Garth Warner and his Impound crew whose efforts seem so simple yet so unbelievably effective; Don Richmond and his Scoring/Timing crew who were flawless; John McNeil and his crews that handled the lunches both days and the shirt design/production; and my ace number one assistant, Parviz, who did a great job as registrar and trying to keep me staright. As with any contest of this size, the efficiency of the event is reliant on the many volunteers who come out and work the event...with pride being their driving force and your appreciation the applause that brings them forth for an encore performance the next year.
Jun 20, 2006, 02:05 AM
The Great White
Tom, Brian and Mike:

We were faced with two situations this year that have not been a problem in the past. The "No Fly Zone" came about in January. One day in February we arrived at the field to find, much to our surprise, that the north side of the field was plowed up and readied for planting.

Actually the planting of the north side of the field occurred last year and we were under the impression that we had resolved that problem with the land owner last year. We were advised that it was a mistake and that it wouldn't happen again this year. The owner and the farmer are two different people and evidently there was a slip between the cup and the lip. Last year we were able to get the field in fairly good order just before the contest. This year the harvesting of the crop didn't take place until the week of the contest with baling being done late Thursday evening.

We were making last minute decisions as late as Friday noon. We were able to work out a compromise with our neighbor to the east to relax the NFZ to where it really was not a problem. We did have to make a few cautionary warnings, but as a whole the NFZ was more of a help than a hindrance. We did not have a single plane land in the NFZ this year compared with six last year. Our neighbor was very pleased with the results of the negotiated NFZ and the cooperation of the pilots who competed in the IHLGF.

We knew that the north side of the field was potentially hazardous. The debate was: should we close the north side to any flying and thereby reducing the size of the field by 1/2 or should we keep the north side open to give the pilots as much ground area as possible from which to launch and, more importantly, to land within the field boundaries? We decided on the latter.We purposely left the bales in place as a waning that this side of the field was not the recommended area from which to fly but rather should be used only if necessary and then at the pilots own risk. This was announced in detail at the pilots meeting. The north side was used mostly by pilots whose planes landed on that side. Very few pilots used that side of the field at the beginning of the heat.

In short, we have made arrangements with the FARMER to reimburse him next year for not planting on the north side of the field. So, with any luck at all we will have a groomed north side of the field next year. By the way; the word “groomed” in Poway means that the dirt will be relatively level without ruts and rocks of notable size.:-)

The field boundaries will probably be the same next year as it was this year which were modified from last year due to the NFZ. The field bounaries did not seem to be a problem for most pilots. Actually, the pilots were very understanding of the situations we were dealing with and, as usual, were terrific.

I hope this explains what happened and how we responded to the "opportunities" that presented themselves and why things were the way they were.

Ron
Jun 20, 2006, 05:23 PM

Input From Team Kiwi

HI Ron, We had a blast again this year and having Chris do so well was a buzz,

We have to hand it to you the competition is superbly run and that makes it a fun competition.

2 suggestions from us that arent already in the list abovve are.

1 - A bbq at the feild on the friday or saturday night instead of the usual places would be cool. We can all do some fun flying, talk some s*** and have a good laugh, We might even get Rowdy to drink on his head again

2 - The attraction of doing the polecat challenge for us is getting greater, especially with Denny's attractive offer, But if they two events were only a week apart we could actually come over and do both. Currently the trip to Poway cost us $3000 per person, to stay in the US for 3 weeks to do both is out of the question finalcially forcing us to make decisions about which contest to do, Maybe you a Denny can talk about this one??

Cheers and Keep up the great work.

Shaun
Team Kiwi
Pull up cougar, pull up Cougar your too low!!!
Jun 20, 2006, 10:03 PM
Great contest, even looking up from the bottom of the heap

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any pictures of the two hawks thermaling with all the hlg planes right over the tents?

2. There were some Photons for sale. If they are still for sale, PM me, as I may have a buyer. Be certain to include price.
Jun 21, 2006, 01:09 AM
The Great White
Shaun: Thank you for both the complements and the suggestions.

As to your first suggestion, we will certainly take a look at this option, especially as an alternative to the Friday evening dinner at the Hamburger Factory. I think that a "deal at the field" has a lot of potential.

Believe me, I know how enticing Denny is making his Polecat Challenge. He is doing a great job and everyone really appreciates all the work that he and his Polecat crew do to produce this high quality contest and associated activities. And with the enticement of a free Xp-4 kit to all international pilots that compete in the Polecat Challenge, he is certainly making it attractive to international pilots.

As reasonable as having the two contests back to back appears to those international pilots such as your Kiwi Team, it does not make sense from the standpoint of the majority of the national pilots. Actually, I believe that both the IHLGF and the Polecat Challange would benefit from the standpoint of cross country entries if the two contests were further apart. I know that Denny would like to have more left coast pilots participate in the PCC and of course we would like to fill out the IHLGF 90 pilot limit with more pilots from anywhere east of the Rockies and our most prized international pilots.

Needless to say, that is not what you wanted to hear and I can certainly understand your position. I am amazed that you guys make the sacrifices you do to attend the IHLGF as regular as you do. As you know, we think so much of our international pilots that we have a designated committee member, Craig Allen, whose main job is to be the International Pilot Laison. We think he is a very special person and so do you guys!

Do you have any other suggstions on how we can improve the IHLGF? We sincerely want input from the pilots who have attended or who are thinking of attending the IHLGF. A tweek here, a tweek there and before you know it we will have an even better event for all to enjoy.

Ron
Jun 21, 2006, 09:22 AM
Bruce Davidson
Ron, I really like the suggestion of having a dinner of some sort at the field on Friday evening. Not much room to mingle at the hamburger joint.

Bruce Davidson
Jun 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
Just to echo Shaun's feedback. All being well, I'd like to come to the IHLGF in 2007, perhaps with a couple of other Brits as well. I'd also like to attend the Polecat challenge.

With 3 weeks between them potentially, I won't be able to afford the time/money to do both, which makes for a hard choice

I can understand your point regarding trying to attract more East coast USA DLGers, but wouldn't it help the 'International' part of the IHLGF if the two events were placed closer together in terms of time?

Thanks,

Chris.
Jun 22, 2006, 11:03 AM
The Great White
Chris: As I mentioned to Shaun, I can certainly understand the international pilots desire to have both events back to back so that they could attend both the International Hand Launch Glider Festival and the Polecat Challenge. Personally, if Denny thinks that it would be to his advantage to move the PCC to the weekend following the IHLGF in order to get the international pilot contingent, that is certainly alright with me. I doubt that it would have a negative effect on the IHLGF, and as you and Shaun have pointed out, it would cement your participation in both events.

The IHLGF 2007 will be held on the first full weekend in June as it has been for the last 11 years. We usually draw between 75-95 paid registered pilots; have 10 rounds of competition flying and three fly-off rounds for the top ten pilots; and, arguably, the best group of DLG/HLG competiton pilots gathered in any one spot in the world.

We are always trying to improve our event and as such we are definitely looking at incorporating some of the cool things that Denny has come up with such as a Friday evening "deal at the field" get-together including food, flying and frivolity, and a raffle, both of which seemed to be a real hit with the PCC attendees. We would like to have a nice mowed grass field to fly from, but you can't have verything...and since San Diego (one of the world's leading vacation destinations), the Pacific Ocean, Torrey Pines Glider Port, Sea World, Parker Mountain, Disney Land and the list of local attractions go on and on...we feel a little embarassed to ask for grass on our flying field. We just do the best we can with what we have and we hope you and your DSL buddies from England will elect to be a part of IHLGF 2007.

Ron

Quick Reply