Jun 07, 2006, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Why would you not use governor mode?

Reading the threads here, it seems like quite a few people are fiddling with throttle curves, often on the SE which comes with a speed controller that has a governor mode. Ever since my piccolo days, I have chosen speed controllers with a governor (currently use a Quark33A on my SE), as I find this saves me from having to match throttle and pitch curves.

Now, reading some of these threads, I am questioning whether I'm missing something... is there an advantage to NOT using governor mode? What're peoples preferences?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2006, 11:19 AM
The only reason I don't use it is because my tail wags when in gov. mode.

Jake
Jun 07, 2006, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake
The only reason I don't use it is because my tail wags when in gov. mode.

Jake
If the governor mode isn't well-designed, yep, it will do this.

Toshi
Jun 07, 2006, 12:33 PM
The main reason is most people use Align and CC speed controllers which have less than desirable governors so you have to use curves. If you want trouble free gov, get a Jazz.
Jun 07, 2006, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motions
The main reason is most people use Align and CC speed controllers which have less than desirable governors so you have to use curves. If you want trouble free gov, get a Jazz.
Fair enough, I'm reassured I'm doing the right thing. The gov mode on the Quark is excellent and very stable- the only problem is when you cut the throttle, it takes maybe half a second to shut down the motor. Bad news when the heli makes contact with the ground for that half second
Jun 07, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hotep
I was thinking of trying gov mode soon, but reading this makes me rethink.

So what kind of problems can i expect if i run Gov mode ? 1.tail wag, what else ?
And are any of u guys running Govmode with no problems ?

Thx
Jun 07, 2006, 05:17 PM
/bin/ksh
I ran gov mode all winter on a cc35 420L 11t at 80% with no problem. now that it is hot outside it decided to cutout right at full power, so I switched to non gov and just use throttle curves. Down side is it's harder on the power system while not in gov mode. haven't tried to get it tuned right so this works for now. I must have a pinion mismatch.

Oh, I like gov mode much more, the stability is way better with a constant headspeed.
Jun 07, 2006, 05:26 PM
I just got a Jazz 40-6-18,and even tho im still at the hovering stages i love it,no tail wag which i couldnt completely get rid of with the Align and it doesnt rise and fall a couple of feet now either.I also got rid of the ratchet,which i wish i had done right from the start.
Jun 07, 2006, 06:46 PM
Governor mode on the Jazz is very good (I use it on my 4S and 5S rigs).

I've heard that some of the other ESCs with 'less good' governor modes are also much heavier on the packs (less efficient) when in governor mode. Cannot really comment as I always used my CC controllers (including the last one installed a 3S Trex) in fixed mode with throttle curves. Maybe I should try again as the firmware gets updated every month or so.
Jun 07, 2006, 08:50 PM
/bin/ksh
I've not updated the firmware ever in my CC controller, I should do this and see if it resolves the cut off I'm getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgroucho
Cannot really comment as I always used my CC controllers (including the last one installed a 3S Trex) in fixed mode with throttle curves. Maybe I should try again as the firmware gets updated every month or so.
Jun 07, 2006, 08:55 PM
Hotep
So IS anyone running Govmode with no problems on the Align ESC ?
Jun 07, 2006, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C
I've not updated the firmware ever in my CC controller, I should do this and see if it resolves the cut off I'm getting.

WHAT!!!
This is a key (and affordable) feature of the CC controllers...

If you're flying a plank and it is working then you can ignore the updates somewhat.

If you're flying micro / mini helis then buy the CC link USB thing and update it
Jun 07, 2006, 09:14 PM
there are some advantages i guess for both setups. i run both the gov and the throttle curve points at times. i find that the curves are alright and the gov mod is alright as well. nothing really special or anything. you can still acomplish the same with them both properly setup. i think its just preference (talking from trex perspective)
Jun 07, 2006, 11:23 PM
new firmware 1.51b for cc esc has very nice governor mode...
Last edited by lowflyer101; Jun 19, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Jun 19, 2006, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut
So IS anyone running Govmode with no problems on the Align ESC ?
I am now, on my old 450X (the original TREX- I use the Quark on my SE). No problems at all, except there seems to be no way to set the RPM the controller governs at... but as it's giving me 2200rpm straight off the bat, I'm happy. Seems to work well- nice and consistent under differing loads, and I have no tail wag or apparent current draw surges)

Quick Reply