Jul 21, 2002, 06:22 PM
Retired USAF, A&P mechanic
Thread OP

Ridge Runner E version review(..long)

Ok,
No pics as of yet, but try to visualize:

Ordered a ridge Runner core plus spar from Tom at www.wingwarrior.com. very nice set, included a set of winglets and balsa elevons. woo hoo!

All EPP, my first. i wanted a sloper/electric version,so i pondered the best way to do it. i was through with those damn trays since i do alot of e combat. so, how to make it removable and yet still hold the battery in? Long story short, i copied the foam canopy design from rocketwings, and sunk the battery in the center of the foam, leaving only about 1/4in for the bottom. didnt want to put a plywood bottom, extra wieght. to make it conversion, i just covered the foam canopy with ultracote lite (more on that later) and use the same color tape to attach it to the wing. battery is long enough for 600ae's, and wide enough for 800ar's. secured by velcro.

next, came the motor mount. after tossing around a few ideas, one of them a aeronaut mount that i put on my zagi, (which works great) i noticed Dark Helmets thread :https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=49613

but i figured i could do better yet. so, i made up a steel motor mount out of .035 steel with same configuration. instead of plywood, i cut a thin slit with a x acto saw. just enough for the mount to slip in. the mount is roughly 4in long, stops a hair before the spar. thinking that it needed a little reinforcement, i used fiber tape and RC56 glue, and put around the TE near the mount for support. it may or may not need it, unkown at this time, but it does work.

using minimal straping tape for the rest of the wing, i then put in the Expert 650 6ch rx and expert 260 sub micro servos with servo savers. these are just JR repackaged and sold cheaper. very nice!

next, to 'save' wieght, i used white Ultracote lite. a quick summation of this covering: very lite/thin, PITA to get the plastic backing off, VERY clingy to its self, but it does go on VERY NICE with low heat.

i covered the elevons with orange transparent monokote, then added winglets and orange tape on bottom for contrast.

AUW with 8 cell 600ae battery is 20.2 ounces, with an ounce of lead for wieght. still needs more wieght as its tail heavy, which i need to work on. but it still flies very well, even tail heavy behind its recommended 7.25-7.5in CG. just have to keep on it and not use too much elevator.

the Ridge Runner flies quite well, even with all my crazy mods and aft CG. floats REALLY well, especially when the wind kiced up like it did.

after working with this EPP plane, i dont believe i will go back to EPS/EPP again.

hope to have some pics, as well as a slope experience with it. I intend to drill holes in the mount, and maybe in the elevons for wieght savings. more to come.

All in all, a good wing set for a good price.

Ron
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2002, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
here are the pics (finally)
this is the Ridge Runner as a sloper, with a foam hatch.
Last edited by Ronbo; Aug 10, 2002 at 07:36 PM.
Aug 10, 2002, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
this is a poor quality pic of the motor mount, and 'basically' how it slides in the TE.
Last edited by Ronbo; Aug 10, 2002 at 07:37 PM.
Aug 10, 2002, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
this is a pic as its in its electric version. i opted to keep the foam canopy for power off, as its better for cooling both motor and battery.

sorry for poor quality pic, but if you look at the winglets and elevons, ive put lightning holes in them, saved at least an ounce or more lead in nose!
Last edited by Ronbo; Aug 10, 2002 at 07:39 PM.
Aug 10, 2002, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
last one with the cam propellor installed. sorry for the poor quality pics. someday ill get a digital....
Last edited by Ronbo; Aug 10, 2002 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply