Jul 21, 2002, 01:02 PM
Thread OP

New Blue Stick goes for a swim!

Hey guys,

I just finished a flight with my recently completed Blue Stick(AUW 7.5 oz). I have increased the wingspan to 30" (but I might cut it down to the original span). By the way, I flew in my backyard. While doging trees, thorn bushes, deckchairs, and a large pool, I can say that the flight went relatively well. As my pack was beginning to get low, I decided to come in for a landing--that meant comming in low over the pool and putting the plane down into the grass. Well, I DID come in low...a little too low infact, and the water jumped up and cought the little plane by the landing gear! I quickly rescued the plane from the water, and unplugged the batt. The electronics are now drying over an air conditioning vent. I hope it all still works fine... The plane flew pretty well, but seemed VERY twitchy (I have the dihedal + V-tail version). Could this be a CG problem, or am I just not used to flying in the confines of my backyard, and over controlled her a little?

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who read my post about the underpowered drenalyn-- I used the same equipement and motor in my Blue Stick, and had a little power to spare (not much, but a little!). Any thoughts? Thanks. Pics to come...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2002, 01:47 PM
Thread OP

pics

No radio gear installed 'cause it's currently drying.
Jul 21, 2002, 01:48 PM
Thread OP

Jul 21, 2002, 01:48 PM
Thread OP

last one...

Jul 21, 2002, 04:33 PM
Crash Master
Twitchy?

Yup, That'ts the way I designed it! I haven't tried anything but 24"WS, actually ~23", so I can fit it across the short side of a sheet of BluCore.

Some of the guys have reduced the throws or the % split between fixed and control surface, to tame it down. Also, a longer fuse will tame it. If it seems to be slow to react to rudder control input, increase the dihedral. For maximum speed and power, I use a DX-A, 10x8, 7x300...

Have fun, hope the clorine doesn't hurt the gear... Did you flush with clean water? Preferably demineralized...
Jul 21, 2002, 06:31 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Gene,

I want to thank you for the work you did designing the BluStik. I flew mine for the first time yesterday and I couldn't believe how well it flew. From the first toss it took off and flew like a champ. I can see a whole hangar full of variations of this great little gem.

Chuck
Jul 23, 2002, 05:04 PM
Thread OP

some in-flight pics

in-flight pics...sorry for the bad quality pics...but there was too much sunlight, and they were taken from a video. I'll try to get some better ones tommorow...
Last edited by tim_j-rome; Jul 23, 2002 at 05:07 PM.
Jul 23, 2002, 05:05 PM
Thread OP

another...
Jul 23, 2002, 05:25 PM
Cool, thats not bluecore is it? looks like foamboard.
Jul 23, 2002, 06:26 PM
Thread OP

foam

Yup, it's foam board. I cut all of the pieces out first, then rip off all the paper I can (pulling it up from the edges). I then sand the remaining paper down with dome heavy grit sand paper. 45 mins in the tub with some HOT water, and the remaining paper comes right off when I rub it with the palm of my hand! Works everytime-- and I can build an entire plane in a couple of hours.

For anyone who hasn't build a Blue Stick, I strongly suggest that you do. They're sooooooooo much fun, and flying them your backyard is a blast!!
Jul 23, 2002, 06:54 PM
Balsa to the Wall
I second what Tim said about the fun factor of the blue stick. Mine's more fun to fly than my TM and I have enough stuff to make a couple hundred of 'em.

Chuck
Jul 23, 2002, 07:53 PM
will 1 piece do it? I have a pico stick. How does it compare?
Jul 23, 2002, 08:30 PM
Thread OP

1 piece?

I'm guessing you mean 1 piece of foam board...and yes it is. From one piece, you can cut out 2 wings (you'll only need 1)and the tail sections with some foam to spare.

How does it compare to a Pice Stick?:...I dunno, i've never owned one. But I can tell you that with very low control throws this thing will fly like a trainer (and very manuverable too).
Jul 23, 2002, 09:14 PM
Crash Master
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm really glad you are enjoying the BluStik. I'm glad I can return the favor for all I've taken, such as the great prop saver, Tim. I still enjoy mine, despite the 10 or so other planes I fly. I love to play combat vs. LiteStiks, since I can do loops around them. The biggest problem I have, is only 6 sets of rx/esc. This is the reason I use velcro for the radio/esc mount.

As compared to the Pico/LiteStik? More power, more control, more speed, more wind tollerance, more twitchy (if adjusted right ).

The down side is that it does not glide as well with power off. It drops pretty quick with a pretty steep glide angle, but at the same time, this means you can land it inside a fenced yard better!
Jul 24, 2002, 01:25 PM
i like fast and twitchy!!!! Where do i get the plans? how much?

Quick Reply