Jun 05, 2006, 04:37 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat
Thread OP
Discussion

How to successfully convert a GP Patriot? (.40 size)

Just received a NIB patriot from oh-lets-see...1995! Starting the build. I have read the threads here and RCU that say an already made patriot would be a hassle to convert, but this is a different situation! Im excited by this challenge and have simply started with the following two areas for the most obvious weight loss:

First no retracts. I want this light and thin (static) landing gear will be utilized instead of the optional retracts.
- reducing the ply supports for this area

Engine mounting/support
the nose/cockpit area I think can be slimmed or replaced with lighter materials

Im aiming for a <3 pound bird (initial guess), think thats reasonable?

What tips do you pros have to help reach my projected weight? Building/equipment alike

Please comments/criticisms welcome, but lets keep mostly to comments
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2006, 12:58 AM
Airplane Gearhead
I have thought of converting the Patriot kit...but you're talking about the ARF, right?
I would think it would be very difficult if not impossable to keep it under 3 lbs. unless you don't care about power and speed...but that ain't what the Patriot is about, aye?!
To have the power to make it a nice and impressive flying airplane, I'd say you'd need at least 150 watts per lb. and even more would be better. The AUW would probably be in the neighborhood of 5 lbs. but probably a little more...and that would mean at least 750 watts.

What type of power are you considering?
I was thinking of a mid size outrunner, like the 4120/14 (mainly because I already have one) and maybe a 5 or 6 cell 4000 (or so) pack. It would be pushing that motor, but I'm not set on having to use it. My prop (just a guesstimate) might start with an 11X10 or something close to that?
Anybody wanna crunch the numbers?
Last edited by proptop; Jun 07, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Jun 07, 2006, 02:13 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat
Thread OP
I got a look at the new Eflite outrunners, some of them are pretty heft handling that many watts. the Power 46 is decently sized, advertized handling of 800 watts but if this motor is like their smaller ones, it can handle a little more I do like eflite motors

yeah the weight was off. I am systematically replacing some of the stronger ply with lighter materials. We'll see what the realistic weight will be. the Battery is what I hadn't thought out too well.
Jun 08, 2006, 08:20 AM
Airplane Gearhead
I have a Power 46 and so do 2 friends...they're decent motors IMO. I have 1 in a PT-40 trainer that I'm converting for some high school kids. A friend has 1 in a 40 size Rascal. It will handle a 13 X 10E on 4 cells...
If you wanna use the Power 46, I'd say 5 cells might be o.k. but I'd hesitate to say 6.
You could seperate the packs into 2 sections...let's say a 5S2P with one 5 cell pack ahead of the wing, in the fuel tank compartment, and the other 5 cell pack over the wing. 3000mah cells would give a 6000mah pack for decent run times...
That motor pulls about 45A. with the 13 X 8 on 4 cells, so a 12x10E should be do-able for a brief period on 5 cells, but I'm not positive.
Feb 14, 2007, 05:55 PM

Sucessfull !

Hi guy´s !

Just wanted to let you know that I converted the ARF kit of the Patriot .40 size sucessfully to electric.
Mine has mechanical retracts and is powered by an AXI 4120/14.
Prop os 12x10 Lipos is 5s 5000mah Tanic. Speed Controller is a Jeti 70
It draws 53 amps on full throttle flight times are around 5 to 6 mintutes with about 1 minute reserve.

If you´re interested I can add some pictures and video on the weekend if you like .

regrads Rico
Feb 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Rico

I would love to know more. AUW, photos... ect.

Where in the world did you find the ARF version of this one?

Tommy D
Feb 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
I could only find this info on the tech specs for the Patriot 40:
http://www.alteredrealms.com/hobby/patriot.html

I used that and an "empty weight" of 85oz (probably light?) in MotoCalc (Tanic 2500 in 5S2P) and APC 12x10, AXI 4120/14 and came up with estimates that suport Rico's numbers. The wing loading is a bit on the high side (approaching 30 by my admittly estimated estimates).

If you are building from a kit (not the ARF) you can easily lighten it up. Many ways here on this forum. Example: 1/4" ply replaced with 1/16" ply + 1/16" horz grain balsa + 1/16" vert grain balsa + 1/16" ply works quite well and is significantly lighter - just more work.

Rico,
Would like AUW and pics/video!
Thanks,
Crash
Feb 15, 2007, 12:00 AM

More details !

HI there !

I thought that you guys want to see more. Btw I still have an ARF kit sitting here to be built. It was and is a very nice kit and the AUW is 7.7 pounds.
The wing loading is absolute no prop it flies very slow.
The prop on this motor could be 13 inch type but this isn´t possible on grass because with the 12 inch size there is just a half inch of space between the tip of the blade and the ground. If the grass is a little bumpy like ours you act like a little lawn mower .
A very nice fact is that the cg doesn´t change because on the glow version you had the quite big tank in front of the cg. so you started nose heavy and landed with the cg where the balancing point was without fuel.
I also agree that the kit (wood kit) can be lighten up quite a bit but the arf goes together in 3 or 4 days. I might do a new cowl because the one you will see is open on the side for the glow version on the other hand it gives absolute perfect cooling and the axi is not even hand warm after 5 min of quite 60 to 70 % full throttle. It makes very nice aerobatics knife edge 4 point and cuban 8. It is a very nice and clean aerodynamically perfect designed plane to bad that they are not produced any more´.

I will post video on the weekend and show some pictures today.

The 5 cell pack with 5000 is a nice combo and it just fits in ffont on the leading edge hanging over towards the nose for about one inch and its removable all the time. I will try on this weekend and i guess there should be 7 minutes flight time . After the 5:40 min flight I recharged about 3000 maH so there are 2000 left I will let you know .

So long Rico
Feb 17, 2007, 01:09 PM

Video

Hi !

Will post a video in this afternoon !

regards
Feb 17, 2007, 03:13 PM

Video

Hi guy´s

Here is the link

http://www.ejets.at/index_eng.htm

under downloads you find propjet video
If you klick the link and it doesen´t open klick direct
on the pario mpeg and it will open

regards
Rico
Feb 18, 2007, 01:13 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Rico,
AWESOME!
Crash
Feb 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
saw Wireit aka Joe's Sniper v2. I shot that video and it was tough to keep up with,later clocked at 160 level,awesome to see it on the web
Sep 24, 2021, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminator
Hi guy´s

Here is the link

http://www.ejets.at/index_eng.htm

under downloads you find propjet video
If you klick the link and it doesen´t open klick direct
on the pario mpeg and it will open

regards
Rico
That link is dead. I'd really like to see thr video.
Jack
Sep 25, 2021, 09:29 PM
I have a cobra setup on mine. Will have to go out to the shop to get the numbers off it.

Quick Reply