Jun 05, 2006, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Rant

lost a plane 6/4 at Temple

Hi -

I lost an old Viper on the backside of Temple Hill yesterday. It's a beater, but I had plans for the radio gear. Case o' Heineken to anyone who finds her.

Chris

Note to self: invest in lost model alarm, machete, long pants.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2006, 05:50 PM
Nucking Futs
Help us out. Was it on the main hill or in the DS area?

If you were facing the backside, was it off to the left, center or right? About how far back? We now have at least 2 if not more planes lost back there so far this season. The brush being chest high and the rattlers certainly don't help the situation much does it?

Good luck, RJ
Jun 05, 2006, 05:55 PM
Drive anywhere to fly.
I also lost a plane there on 5/27/06. A floater, white with red and yellow wing tips. AM receivers and paper made canopy. I forgot to bring the canopy that day.
Jun 05, 2006, 06:13 PM
somewhere in South America
Does it have to be Heineken? Dutch "beer?" I'd rather have Stone Brew, and it's local.
(good luck!)
Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Jun 05, 2006, 07:31 PM
Thread OP

approximate location

see attached...
I'm new to Temple, so I don't know whether it was the DS area, or what.
It went down almost directly east from the northern hill. It was ~30 feet back
when I lost visual contact

Dieter - Hey, I'd offer Paulaner Oktoberfest, except that it's June.
Jun 06, 2006, 12:48 AM
Thread OP

fun in the brush today

So, I scanned the backside with binoculars from Mission and the southern hill. Finding nothing, I concluded that it was located fairly near the top center area. I began the standard "traipse about" search pattern, when I heard an odd repetitive rattling noise.

If a plane goes into the brush back there, I recommend leaving it.
Jun 06, 2006, 10:16 AM
Drive anywhere to fly.
Yes leave it. I almost stepped on a rattle snake and also saw a black snake with two yellow lines down its back. I was told this is a garder (sp?) snake.

If you go plane hunting make sure you have a buddy and a cell phone with you. In case you get bitten you can call 911 or your buddy can call 911 for help.

That hill is crawling with snakes this time of year.
Jun 06, 2006, 02:26 PM

Just a related story about lost plane

Back in the late 70's, I used to fly power at the Sepulveda Basin ( about 20 miles N of Los Angeles ). A fellow came with a 1/2A plane and about 10 kids.
The flying field was surrounded by corn field. Somehow he lost the plane in the corn field and despite effort by 10 or so kids, they could not find the 1/2A plane. So he went to Van Nuys Airport next door and hired a Bell 47 helicopter. ( probably the same Heli used in filming MASH ). Well, he found the 1/2 A !.
Moral of the story: How much do you value that glider... ?

Quick Reply