South Downs SCRAPS meet - 4th June 2006 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 04, 2006, 08:33 PM
HeliAP'er!
Gallery

South Downs SCRAPS meet - 4th June 2006

G'day all

In the absence of a gallery thread for today's fly-in (as organised here) I thought I'd start one!

Today's meeting was well attended by the following SCRAPS members: Hogster (David), Gray (Grahame), roy - deadstik (Roy), chargenut (Terry), English Electric (Paul), alex290684 (Alex), GliderGuideMan (Dave) and a possible new SCRAPper, Matthew, who runs HeliShots.

The weather forecast looked good, with low winds and lots of sun promised .... the former was pretty accurate, with steady winds blowing around 6-7mph, but the latter ... well the weather tried ... For the whole duration of the meeting there was a persistant haze in every direction which got slightly worse as the meeting wore on. We all managed to have a good set of flights, and although the photos weren't as 'punchy' as they could have been they weren't too bad ... considering we're in the UK, we could have faired a lot WORSE with the weather!

Below are some photos taken by various SCRAPS members (mostly me, some Paul, some Matthew, some Terry). I'll leave posting of AP photos up to the individuals who took them

(Hogster) A view across the countryside when the haze wasn't too bad

(Hogster) Another view (we're just off the bottom)

(Hogster) Looking down the track towards the car park

(Hogster) An interesting straight-down shot of some cows and hay bails ... random but quite interesting

(Hogster) Looking towards the car park (taken from my helicopter! )

(Hogster) Looking towards the car park 2 (also taken from my helicopter! )

(Paul) Hogster's helicopter in-flight

(Guy who passed us on a walk!) Hogster and his heli

(Guy who passed us on a walk!) The paparazzi

(Tina, Matthew's wife) Gray about to launch Hogster's AP plane

(Tina, Matthew's wife) The trudge from the car park ... playing the how-many-things-can-you-hang-off-your-body contest ...

(Hogster) Terry doing a pre-flight

(Hogster) Terry on a low low pass ...

(Hogster) Basecamp

(Hogster) A slightly chilled, but nevertheless happy Paul

(Hogster) Not our tidiest camp ...

(Terry) Dave concentrating hard

(Terry) The camp and the surrounding countryside

(Terry) Just one of the many tugs and gliders we saw

(Terry) Roy and Gray, absolutely loving the sunshine!

(Terry) Hogster making some delicate adjustments

(Terry) Dave and Alex

(Hogster) Smile chaps! Terry and Dave

(Terry) Paul inspecting his camera

Later in the afternoon, Gray and I went to a church to try and get some nice shots of it basking the evening sunlight ... but it obviously wasn't to be ... the sun stayed well and truly in .... Some shots nevertheless ....

(Hogster) Outside the church

(Hogster) Gray, mid-launch

(Hogster) The church, dating back to the year 1050!

I might try putting together some of the video I took from both the plane and the helicopter .... but until then, enjoy the photos!

Twas a great day out for all - I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next meet!

David
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2006, 08:57 PM
Old Timer
Absolutely great, I would have liked to have been there with you.
Jun 04, 2006, 09:22 PM
I love this forum. I feel like I know you guys personally through your photographs. Your picutres are outstanding. Very personal and candid. That is a beautiful place to fly, man I wished I had a place to fly like that. I may never get to go to the UK but feel every bit apart of you guys. Nice outing and thanks for the pictures.
Jun 05, 2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for sharing those moments......David......

Looks like a fun day, with lots of flying.

Ian
Jun 05, 2006, 06:01 AM
AP GS Voyager Gasser
Great pics David,

Looking forward to the next meet too!

Matthew (and his wife, Tina)
Jun 05, 2006, 06:29 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member

It was a little hazy but it was sunny enough for me to get burnt

Well here's my first post from this meeting... It consists of some of the best shots from my two Stills flights with the P1.

I also did a couple of flights with my Wireless Camera on board (downlinked to my Camcorder) and took some video of the flying (again on my camcorder). I've streamed the video to my machine and now need to edit it and convert it down to a size that is postable. I'll keep you all posted on progress...

Anyway, here's the pictures...

Thanks guys for the great day... was really fun to fly with you all and to see you all.
Last edited by chargenut; Jun 05, 2006 at 06:44 AM.
Jun 05, 2006, 06:32 AM
Looks like you had fun guys! shame I couldn't come, but I'm in the middle of doing my GCSEs. Only another 9 school days left and I'll be free! till September at least. So after that I should be able to finish my AP plane and attend some meets I'm also planning to buy a trex xl for AP use.

Matt
Jun 05, 2006, 06:59 AM
Great pics. And nice that the meeting and weather worked out so well. And nice to see some more faces to the pics.

I-ve been trying to get the Dutch (and Belgian) AP-ers together but interest hasn't been exactly overwhelming with ony 1 person showing interest. But, maybe the pics of your meeting will give a Dutch meeting a bit of a push.
Jun 05, 2006, 08:52 AM
Smile & wave
Thanks to David for starting this thread, we had a wonderful meeting on Sunday but were let down by poor visibility and I was afraid we would end up with a load of uninteresting pictures to show the rest of you.

I witnessed one of the best helicopter displays I have ever seen with David (Hogster) flying his new Logo. Nice one David.

Our peace and quiet was rudely interrupted by two quad bikes trying to follow the South Downs Way but were unable to continue due a gate put in to stop just this. I got a couple of pics as they turned back from the EZ*.

On the way to the meeting I visited a little Saxon Church at the foot of the Downs we were to fly from later. I took some ground shots with the intension of retuning in the late evening for some AP. As it turned out the weather didnít exactly ply ball giving a less than ideal conditions for the shoot. I took some anyway but intend to return another day.

Thanks to everyone who tuned up yesterday and welcome to Mathew to RC Groups.

My Pictures:
Last edited by Gray; Jun 05, 2006 at 11:07 AM.
Jun 05, 2006, 10:46 AM
Destroyer of G-10
beautiful pictures. not bad for UK weather this time of the year too. looks like you guys really enjoyed the outing. I am envious. good job everyone.
Jun 05, 2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like you all had a great time. Excellent photos of the scenery (both terra firma and living). The Paparazzi shot shows why some of us older men should not be photographed in side profile.

I am down in Herefordshire later this week and will try out my new X50 camera if I get some good shots. My normal shots just don't cut it any more having seen yours.

Richard
Jun 05, 2006, 02:52 PM
Smile & wave
Richard,
Oh, I see what you mean, yes Roy is I looking a bit portly I will have to have a word with him.

Herefordshire, will you be linking up with Ginger Adam? The weather is looking god for a few days now so I hope you get some smashing pictures.

Have a good trip,

Gray
Last edited by Gray; Jun 05, 2006 at 03:25 PM.
Jun 05, 2006, 03:48 PM
Smile & wave

The Church of St Mary's

Some ground shots taken of St Maryís Church on the morning of the meeting.

I defiantly will be going back for another sortie one evening in sunshine as I now know the sort of picture Iím after. Walking into that church was almost like time travel!

I hope these will be of interest to some of you.

Gray

The Crusader

This marble effigy probably represents one of the De Covert Family who were lords of the manor in the 12th Ė 14th centuries.
The crossed legs are said to indicate a crusader and the list of knights present at the siege of Acre includes a De Covert.

The effigy lay for several centuries in the North Aisle (or Chantry), which may have been built for that purpose.

The willful damage to the head arms and legs doubtless dates from the reformation under King Henry the VIII.
Last edited by Gray; Jun 05, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Jun 05, 2006, 04:24 PM
Smile & wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
I love this forum. I feel like I know you guys personally through your photographs. Your picutres are outstanding. Very personal and candid. That is a beautiful place to fly, man I wished I had a place to fly like that. I may never get to go to the UK but feel every bit apart of you guys. Nice outing and thanks for the pictures.

Quailbird,
Thank you for your sentiments, you always have something good to say about our postings, this gives us the inspiration to bring our part of the world clocer to you and all the members of this group.

Thanks to all for your welcome comments and to all the SCRAPS for making the day so enjoyable.

Gray
Jun 05, 2006, 04:39 PM
Great Event!!!

Very nice pictures from everyone. I would loved to have been there.

That site began to look familiar. Any chance someone flies a fast spitfire at the same place?

Thanks for the posts and thread!!

Roger