Jun 02, 2006, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Samlex regulated 12v power supplies

I was just wondering if anyone else uses these. I have a Samlex RPS1204 that I've been using for years now. It chugs along happily with whatever I throw at it.

All the threads about converting PC PSU's prompted me to post this. True, the cost will be higher than the cost of an old PC power supply, but it's worth it to me for the convenience and stability. I havn't really ever heard them mentioned in RC groups so I thought I'd bring it up.

J.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...e=RPS%20Series

*edit*

I'm laughin at myself now cuz I didn't do a search here first. Let me say I never really heard them mentioned at OTHER RC sites. Seems alot of folks here know about them. Anyhoo.....

Someone gave me this unit probably 4 years ago and I've been using it ever since without giving much thought to it. It's allways been great.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2006, 11:12 PM
All your base are belong to us
Quote:
(From the web site)

Linear power supplies are transformer based power supplies that use dissipative regulator components to achieve output regulation. The Linear design provides stable output voltage and low noise.
Actually, none of those points are especially important for someone who needs to power a battery charger.
  • Transformer based means a large, heavy transformer with lots of iron, which means that the power supply itself will be both heavy and expensive. Switching-mode power supplies have much smaller and lighter transformers because they operate at a higher frequency, so they're generally both lighter and cheaper.
  • Dissipative regulator components means that the power supply will get hot and waste lots of energy. Switching-mode power supplies have a more cool and efficient means of regulating voltage.
  • Finally, while stable output voltage and low noise sound like great features, they're not really necessary to a 12 volt battery charger, since most can tolerate a wide range of input voltage, and they have their own internal circuitry to remove noise.
I think that, for powering a battery charger, it makes more sense to look for a 12 volt switching-mode power supply on the surplus market than to buy an old-fashioned linear type power supply.

But of course if someone gives you one, that's different!
Latest blog entry: I'll be glad when this is over.
Jun 03, 2006, 12:12 AM
Usually transformer based equipment is cheaper to manufacture. If it works I say use it. I myself have an abused 40 amp 12 volt ps that is meant to charger marine PB batteries. and a novak 10 amp 14volt ps regulated switching transformer.
Jun 03, 2006, 05:46 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
I purchased a new Samlex 1223 about 3 or 4 years ago. I can put two chargers on it, each charging round cells at 5 amps and the ps doesn't even get warm. It has a cooling fan inside just in case, but it's never come on.

Then there's my Pyramid 12 Amp ps. It gets warm with one charger at 1 amp rates.
Jun 03, 2006, 08:38 AM
That makes sense, the 1223 is a 12 volt, 23 amp switching-mode power supply.

It looks like a very nice unit.
Jun 03, 2006, 08:46 AM
Switch mode supplies are far more complex compared to their linear counterparts and they are more prone to noise. The other thing is a linear mode supply can be easily repaired in the event anything goes wrong. The good ones (Astron) even include a schematic with their linear supplies.

I have several Astrons, both linear and switchers and they both work great. The Astron switchers are much smaller and lighter.

If it were me I'd spend a few bucks more and get the Astron, but hey, that's me.
Jun 03, 2006, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charge1(ds)
Usually transformer based equipment is cheaper to manufacture.
It may be cheaper to manufacture in the USA, but switching-mode power supplies are far cheaper to import from overseas countries with low labor costs.
Jun 03, 2006, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
It may be cheaper to manufacture in the USA, but switching-mode power supplies are far cheaper to import from overseas countries with low labor costs.
Well, it should be obvious that not all power supplies are created equal which equates for a large part of the price difference as well. I wouldn't expect any of that bargain basement supplies from overseas to run at their rated output for any length of time. Of course, that's if they actually put out their rated capacity....

Also, linear supplies have a lot, and I mean a lot less components then their switch mode counterparts.
Jun 03, 2006, 11:50 AM
So what I get from this is switching mode it the way to go for celean noise free power? Sounds right. Did anyone look up on google images the SEC-1223 it is amazingly small hardly bigger than a hand. and under 4 lbs.
Jun 03, 2006, 05:44 PM
Quote:
So what I get from this is switching mode it the way to go for celean (clean?) noise free power?
No, nobody here said that. The opposite is probably true, but I'm saying that clean, noise free power isn't really necessary to power a battery charger that's designed to run off of a car's electrical system.

You can read about the SEC-1223 by clicking on the link from 83GT and selecting SEC-1223 from the drop-down menu. I don't know how much it costs, but it looks like a good choice to power a peak detection battery charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
I wouldn't expect any of that bargain basement supplies from overseas to run at their rated output for any length of time. Of course, that's if they actually put out their rated capacity....
The power supplies running virtually all of our computers, including yours, are basically the same thing.
Jun 03, 2006, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
No, nobody here said that. The opposite is probably true, but I'm saying that clean, noise free power isn't really necessary to power a battery charger that's designed to run off of a car's electrical system.

You can read about the SEC-1223 by clicking on the link from 83GT and selecting SEC-1223 from the drop-down menu. I don't know how much it costs, but it looks like a good choice to power a peak detection battery charger.

The power supplies running virtually all of our computers, including yours, are basically the same thing.
Sorry, I only use top of the line PC Power & Cooling brand power supplies in my PCs. I make my living using my PC so I can't afford to use no-name sub-standard components.
Jun 03, 2006, 08:50 PM
Quote:
So what I get from this is switching mode it the way to go for celean noise free power? Sounds right. Did anyone look up on google images the SEC-1223 it is amazingly small hardly bigger than a hand. and under 4 lbs.
No, if you want the ultimate in clean low noise power then linear supplies are the way to go. Switchers are just smaller, lighter, and more efficient.

For the convenience factor I'd get a switcher. I don't think you can go wrong with the Samlex.
Jun 04, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Nice discussion .

The 4 amp model I have is very cheap to buy. About $30USD new. While it's only a 4 amp PSU, it doesn't seem to have any problem pushing well more than that and still maintaining 12v or more. The switching units from samlex are considerably more expensive than the linear models, but the prices go up steeply as the amperage ratings increase. It's also about the size and shape of an ATX PC power supply, but much cleaner looking. Bannanna plugs on the charger and you're good to go.

Nice mention on the PCP&C PSU's above. Simply the best money can buy for powering pc's. A bit too on the pricey side for me. I've allways stuck with FSP for my computer supplies. Very well built, reliable, perform well over the stated ratings, and you can pick one up without busting the wallet. I really can't see purchasing such a supply for my batt chargers though.

J.

Quick Reply