East Coast HLG Festival '06 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2006, 03:13 PM
wishes this caption was longe
ditto on everyone's comments phil. It's not worth losing a plane for a $6.95 xtal, not to mention clonking another plane, pilot, car, or sending Phil Barnes into a tree to get your DLG down!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hep
Hep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walker
I second Denny's statement about flying in contests! I just went to my first one last weekend. Just as Denny said, I learned more about chasing thermals down low and DLG's in general in that one day than I did in the last year and a half flying by myself. I plan on making every contest I can from now on.

Not to mention it was just plain a ton-o-fun!

Jim
I couldn't agree more - I am the proud 48th best (e.g. last) pilot at Poway this year...feeling a little beat up I went out to the field the day after the contest with some lessons learned, particularly from the heat in which Oleg timed for me. My flying, (particularly launching, finding and staying in lift) after getting schooled badly at that tournament was a year ahead of where it was 2 days before the tournament.

Think about it - go play the US Open with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickleson and ponder for a second where you'd place. But you'd probably shave 5 off your handicap pretty quickly.
Oct 07, 2006, 09:04 PM

Contest experience

Several years ago I went back to a first love of mine - free flight. I had never flown rubber powered free flight airplanes before, at least not the competitive ones. I built and flew a P-30 and Coupe, not important if you don't know the types.
I went to the Nats and was trimming my Coupe for the event set for the following day. A gentleman there, Mr. Bill Buss, told me if he didn't do well in the day's event, that he would help me trim the airplane. He didn't and for the next several hours he helped me trim my airplane. The next day I maxed 3 out of 5 flights (had a wing failure on the last launch or might have had 4).
Did I learn a lot, no doubt. Every Nats I attended I learned a ton of things plus I met a lot of great flyers and good people.
If I had a suitable field near me, I would still be flying free flight. DLG is the closest thing that duplicates for me the magic of free flight, plus most flights I don't have to walk very far to get the airplane.
Guess this is a little off thread, but wanted to let people know that I share their thoughts on the value of contest flying.
Oct 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
Oleg Golovidov

Tasks posted

Boys and girls (and Eugine)!
I finally had enough time and courage to commit to the final set of contest tasks and post them on the web-site. Sorry for posting them so late, but hey, you still have a whole weekend to practice them :-) http://olgol.com/contest/tasks.html

I included at least 2 of the new (to us) european HLG tasks in each day. Please, read the tasks before the contest to make sure that we all understand them correctly and do not get confused during the rounds and lose points. On Friday, several of the experienced pilots will be at the field for practice flying and I encourage all new pilots to come and ask questions about the tasks and strategies. I will not be there on Friday (no vacation time left), so I ask all of the experienced guys, please, if you see a new pilot, make an effort to help him with any questions he may have.

We are at 25 registered pilots now! If you are still on the fence about going or not going to our contest, you have a few more days to procrastinate, but not more than that. On Monday I will take the list of pilots and start generating the flight matrix. I will most likely have to move some pilots to alternate frequencies, so please, be prepared to change your crystals before the contest if your main frequency has more pilots than the alternate one.

Between me and the contest director Dick Proseus we agreed that it is best to keep our usual contest format with random flight matrix and 3 rounds of fly-offs for the best 6 pilots. The fly-offs will take the same amount of time as one regular round, so we are only losing one round of the preliminary contest rounds. Hopefully, the fly-offs provide enough visual entertainment for the people to sacrifice one round of flying.

One week to go before the fun begins. See y'all soon.
Oleg.
Oct 12, 2006, 06:35 PM
< Boys and girls (and Eugine)! >

Alrighty then, that does it!! You and me, saturday lunch time, Sumo wrestling!!!

And you have to wear your cheerleader uniform like you promised!
Oct 15, 2006, 07:37 AM
The contest is only a week away and we have about 25 signed up. You can still get on board until Monday night. Weather forecast-if you can believe them-is for NW winds between 5&7 mph and partly cloudy skies with temps of 50 in the morning topping out at 73 both days. Weather subject to change.

Everyone have a safe trip to Wilson.
Oct 16, 2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Dick or Will
What is a good cheap clean motel near the flying field? Hopefully under $60 Bucks. Thanks
Sorry
Just saw your thread above Will. Things are filling up because of a car show this weekend
Last edited by ifome; Oct 16, 2006 at 09:46 PM.
Oct 17, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oleg Golovidov

Registered pilots

Here is the final list of pilots and assigned channels. Please make sure you know what channel you are assigned to, I moved a few people around. Todd, I think you have a dial-a-crash radio and can change to any channel, correct? Your alternative channel was 'other', so I moved you to 27. Jeff, let me know if you need to be on the same channel with Bret, then I will need to correct the group matrix to make sure you are always in different groups. As of now we do not have any channel conflicts.

A few people pulled out (thanks for lettning me know in advance!), a couple of new people signed up at the last minute. We have 24 pilots now - 3 groups of 8 pilots in every round.

# Name Channel
1 Austin, Stuart 47
2 Baggs, Brady 21
3 Barnes, Phil 20
4 Carr, Bret 06
5 Carr, Jeff 02
6 Davidson, Bruce 19
7 Davies, Tom 58
8 Golovidov, Oleg 34
9 Griffin, Todd 27
10 Harnish, Doug 52
11 Khalsa, Aradhana 15
12 Maize, Denny 50
13 Marks, Ken 56
14 Maynard, Victor 13
15 Newton, Will 14
16 Pearce, Jerry 25
17 Proseus, Bill 44
18 Proseus, Dick 45
19 Puzick, Phil 30
20 Schwerin, Alan 46
21 Shields, Scott 23
22 Spickler, Shane 26
23 Taylor, Gerald 31
24 Whitney, Bob 33

I hope I did not forget anybody.

Yes, I forgot the sponsors! A big thank you to our sponsors:

Denny Maize and his team,
Phil Barnes,
JR/Horizon

Pilots, bring lots of cash for the raffle tickets :-)

See y'all in a few days.
Oleg.
Oct 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
Oleg is modest enough not to toot his own horn, but if I'm not mistaken he is a sponsor as well!

The fun starts Friday morning!

Also, feel free to bring along stuff you'd like to sell/swap!
Last edited by will_newton; Oct 17, 2006 at 02:18 PM.
Oct 17, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Oleg
Got a new transmitter that I am using now. It's only on channel 26 Sorry for the conflict hope it is okay for me to stay on channel 26.
Todd
Oct 20, 2006, 01:47 AM
This is what my wife will wake up to tomorrow morning!

My own little airport all ready to be packed up!

Weather sez rain Friday morning, clearing in the afternoon, sunny on Saturday, partly cloudy on Sunday.
Oct 20, 2006, 02:18 AM
Thermal Seeker
Looks like you're packin some heat Will! I don't see the Gambler+ in the picture, yea I know; it takes some time to put together.

Max
Oct 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
but there is a Gambler-AG tucked in the back.

Hooray for stupid weathermen! It's going to be gorgeous today!
Oct 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
Oh, it was gorgeous alright, lots of sun, and warm. It would have been a wee bit better without the 20+ mph winds.

You truly come to respect the "upper-crust" pilots when conditions are rough. The lift and sink were both monstrous at times, and tough to stay with if you didn't know what you and your plane were capable of.

On the whole it was more like white-water rafting!

It was great to meet all the new folks and to drool over the DLG's.

I really enjoyed having the extra day before the contest. It was very friendly and relaxed. You get a chance to meet and talk, and put names and faces together.

For the "under-crust" pilots like myself, this is what a contest is all about, a chance to meet folks that are as crazy as you are!

Besides, where else can you sit down on the ground and have a one on one chat with ASK about the in and outs of RDS systems and the benefits of 1 oz. Kevlar over 3/4 oz. ?

It's not about competition it's about being inspired

...and hoping to see Denny in a Sumo thong wrestle Oleg in his tutu!
Oct 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
Oleg Golovidov

First day

We had an excellent first day of the contest today (it would have been even better we declared a throw out round... keep reading).

The weather started a bit cold and windy in the morning, low temps were around 45deg this morning. The field was soaking wet from the dew, and despite it being nicely cut by our club mates, my shoes got soaked as soon as I came to the field. We started the pilots meeting as planned around 9:15am and the first round soon after that.

What was supposed to be a warm-up task for the first round (6x90sec flights), turned out to be quite a challenge in today's conditions. There was enough lift of course to make all the flights, but wind and turbulence from the upwind tree-line destroying the weak morning thermals, made it very interesting. The challenging conditions continued through round 3 which we finished by 12pm and stopped for lunch.

Round 3 was on of those tricky tasks, all up - last down, 3min max. Everybody launches at the same time for a 3min flight, total of 3 launches in a round. One thing that you don't want to do in this round is land out! A zero for one of the flights will cost a lot. Well, Shane Spickler and I managed to land out twice in the same group! Of course we paid dearly for that with about a 400 point score... My first flight in that round was a full 3 minute flight, where in the last 5 seconds I hit some turbulence at the edge of the field where it has a small up-slope, and landed about 3 feet short of the mowed grass, in the beans, to the cheers and laughter of all spectators and many pilots. The second flight was OK, though not stellar. But I was determined to prove to myself and everybody, that I can suck even more than that. In the last flight with only about 20ft of altitude I hooked a small bubble and rode it downwind for about a minute knowing that probably would not make it back to the field. I did not make it back... In hindsight, of course, I should have kept those 2 flights a little shorter, but on the field. Oh, well.

Many of the expert pilots had several bad rounds, and we constantly had a new leader in the contest. After 5 rounds, our own Bill Proseus (Dick Proseus's brother) was in the first place! Bill does not compete regularly, but prior to this contest he came to practice on the club field several times, and flew really well at every practice. When Bill "opened the door" a little and had a bad round, Jeff Carr from Charlotte rose to the top and stayed there for 1 round. After round 7, Phil Barnes took his usual place at the top of the table and stayed there through round 8.

We stopped contest flying after 5pm, and people did some fun-flying of small electrics, with an informal dog-fight between a tiny-bity electric bipe and a semi-circle, slow flying, foam sheet, electric monster by Todd Griffin. That brought a lot of laughter from the crowd. Then Phil Barnes started a hat hunt for the electric monster, while Todd was flying it around Phil like a huge annoying wasp, ignoring numerous hat hits into the wings and the prop, until Phil somehow managed to stop the monster with his body! Ouch.

Tomorrow the forecast is for chance of light rain :-( most of the day, 60% probability. I hope we do not get rained out completely. More news tomorrow.

Quick Reply