bubble dancer gallery...let's see those pics - RC Groups
May 31, 2006, 06:28 PM
LSF186
Gallery

bubble dancer gallery...let's see those pics

ryan in santa clause?? wherever...... felt we should start a bubble dancer gallery.....so i will be the first.....let's see these fantastic sailplanes......thanks again mark drela for a great plane!!!!

bob
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
My BD: Also available with electric motor,48 inch extended
center section and your choice of tips.
Jun 01, 2006, 09:12 AM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Greg,

I did not know you RCGrouped. :-) Welcome to the show. Greg inspired me to build a Bubble Dancer.

Bob, good idea on this. I have often wondered how many Bubble Dancers have been built. Here is “Johnny Rotten”. He is gone but he’s not forgotten.

Ryan Woebkenberg
Jun 01, 2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know how many BD's have been built. I only know I have sold a lot of plan sets over the past two years.

Mark Miller
www.isthmusmodels.com
Jun 02, 2006, 10:08 AM
Here is mine...electrified for lack of a winch.

Shane
Jul 31, 2006, 08:20 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Guess it's my turn!

Just had a blast yesterday spec'ing out my BD a few times up in Maryland. I forsee a trip to California in my near future, so I just might have to test out some of those legendary west-coast thermals...

Pictures though, back to the point.
I have a lot of construction photos here: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~djedward/plane...bledancer.html

Dan
Aug 01, 2006, 12:49 AM
aka ben wilson
It's a Bubble Dancer at heart, but EZ... the Polecat EZ Bubble Dancer #1:
Aug 01, 2006, 09:04 AM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrider

Just had a blast yesterday spec'ing out my BD a few times up in Maryland.

Dan
Dan,

Very nice job! I remember seeing some of those pictures as you built it early on. Very cool.

I also like how you used different colors on top and bottom. I did that on my Allegro and like it quite a bit.

Ryan
Aug 01, 2006, 07:27 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Good to come across you again Ryan. Glad you got to see the full-circle :-) I have looked at your pictures a time or two myself!

Neat to see you again Ben! Nice to see you stuck with Drela and super-sized the Allegro we talked about a couple years ago in Wilson at the DLG contest.

Dan
Aug 01, 2006, 10:00 PM
aka ben wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrider
Neat to see you again Ben! Nice to see you stuck with Drela and super-sized the Allegro we talked about a couple years ago in Wilson at the DLG contest.

Dan
Yup! Apparently I did well enough with the Allegro-Lite, Denny tapped me to build and document the EZBD build. Check out the documentation if you get a chance
Aug 03, 2006, 09:51 PM
Soarrich

Not a BD, but inspired by them.

Uses AG35 on the mainpanel, AG35-7 on the tips, 1/2 inch cf tube in center and 3/8 cf tube for spars in the tips. Great flier, thanks MD.

Rich
Aug 08, 2006, 05:45 PM

Bubble Dancer hangar

I don't have my Bubble Dancer from Mississippi yet, but I do have a home (hangar) for her to live in when she gets here.
Its Baltic birch 1/4" plywood.
Still needs several coats of urethane, internal supports for the fuselage and wings, some brass handles on the side, and foam on the inside, but you can get the idea from these pictures.
Yes, I know. It looks like a freaking coffin, but it will protect the airplane and make people wonder when I drive by.
Thanks Mike Browne for the use of your table saw, planer/joiner, and help.
He said I should have done dovetailed joints but I told him I didn't have the skill level to build piano's.
SkipinHousont
Aug 09, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter

Here's a pic of my BD (now 4 years old!)

This plane was built using the original composite airfoil, rather than the flat-bottomed compromise airfoil. It flies well. Our club has 3 BDs and several commercial variants (Ava, Danny, Soprano). This one has a better LD and flies faster. It weighs 48 oz., only a few oz. more most of the built-up BDs I've seen. Around here, they all require ballast most of the time anyway.
Aug 09, 2006, 11:00 PM
LSF186
tony, where did u get the fuse for ur BD???

bob
Aug 10, 2006, 12:43 AM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter

That's an Ava pod & tailboom

Hi Bob,

I got the pod and boom from Barry Kennedy. That was 4 years ago, so I dunno if he is still selling them separately. At about the same time I bought Ava #8.

I got the V-mount from Bud Elder.

The pushrods are stainless fishing leader, run in teflon tubes on the outside of the boom. The spars in wing and stab use the same carbon specified in the built-up BD plans; the cores are blue hi-load.