Springer Class R/c Boats - Page 735 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 08, 2018, 04:01 PM

Zippkits tugster

I received my two tugster kits today. Having scratch built one from plans before, I must say they appear to be well thought out. Directions are clear, supported by photos. Im not sure I like the motor coupler, but I'll give it a try. I may also drill and pin the prop shaft like the old dumas shafts were and thread the end for a nylock nut. At this point imho this should be a brease to build. After the build I will be sealing it with west systems marine epoxy, inside and out because I have it. The motors I have are dynamite crawler motors (35 turn dyns1216) and dynamite dyns2210 waterproof esc, again because I have them. I will update as I go.
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2018, 10:21 AM
Mr. Pulse....I built one of the Tugsters recently....motor-coupler threw everything out of alignment balance & spun on the shaft at the motor end....put in a different coupler, (more ridged) had a over heat problem...the shaft was not exactly aligned with the motor shaft causing the shaft to flex/bend ever so slightly with in the stuffing box, this heated the shaft & coupler enough to melt the nylon tubing...!!...spinning the shaft....installed a "universal joint" type coupler & all is well...I also spun the prop as the heated shaft must have gotten hot enough at soften the pressed on prop, had a extra Dumas shaft with pin hole so I replaced the shaft...now everything is great...Looking back the problem was the alignment of the shaft & hole in the hull..that said I feel it's a great kit, thinking of building another...cplfuzz
Jun 10, 2018, 04:02 AM
can you land on that ?
Going back to post #10987 about the Loch Ness model rail epic , I`ve made a barge that might have been a better solution to the near disaster at the first lock seen in video on page #10990. Slab of blue foam skinned with 1/8th ply, childs toy railway set from big store on G gauge track. Steam tug springer ST Hotspur.
Jun 10, 2018, 04:41 AM
can you land on that ?
Oh oh, first signs of memory loss and old age....I`ve posted this before. Hmmm.
Jun 11, 2018, 04:34 PM

tugster

I didn't like the shaft that is supplied with the kit so I ordered the 8", 1/8th inch # 2603 stuffing tube set from dumas.
It has a nut and pin setup for the prop and I can adjust the length to my liking. I can also change props easier. Now for the coupler. BTW where are the kits made? The stuffing tube fits 1/8th shafts. I had a dumas shaft laying around that I had used to clean the nozzle on a tube of goop. Cleaned it off and it fits fine. I ordered two new stuffing tube assemblys for the tugsters.
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Jun 13, 2018 at 12:02 AM.
Jun 12, 2018, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse
I didn't like the shaft that is supplied with the kit so I ordered the 8", 1/8th inch # 2603 stuffing tube set from dumas.
It has a nut and pin setup for the prop and I can adjust the length to my liking. I can also change props easier. Now for the coupler. BTW where are the kits made?
Bob

The only reason l like the stock shaft on the Zipp Tugster is you can slide the prop off to clear any weeds caught on the shaft and slide it back on and still not lose power because of slippage.

I would like to know a better set up for power, ie , motor and prop
Jun 12, 2018, 01:17 PM

Tugster prop shaft

This should be easy enough to clean the shaft off while making sure the prop can not slip or fall off. I found two couplers, in my junk box, I think from a zig zag racer or what ever it was called. I just have to drill out the shaft holes.
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Jun 12, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Jun 18, 2018, 03:02 PM
Hello, I present you my French springer under construction.
Jun 20, 2018, 11:52 PM
can you land on that ?
OK so far Fred, what is the topside going to be ? Will it be French ? Welcome to Springeritis. . .there is no known cure !!!
Jun 21, 2018, 01:06 PM

french springer

merci.hello, I would like to know if the propeller shaft should be straight or slightly inclined? thanks.
Jun 21, 2018, 02:23 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Straight, or parallel to the water line is best.

Jun 22, 2018, 02:00 AM
Just Jamie and Me
OK, I'm jumping on this Springer bandwagon and am building a little one that has a length of 12" and a beam of 5.5". Since these things aren't fast I thought I'd build something with some pulling power and use a 4-blade, 45mm prop in a Kort nozzle. Am I out of my mind? I also have a 3-blade, 40mm prop if the 45 is too ridiculous. Haven't decided on a power system yet, geared brushed 480 motor or brushless outrunner.
Jun 22, 2018, 11:46 AM

french springer

french springer
Jun 22, 2018, 06:25 PM
Nice work on both of these!

Quick Reply