This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 27, 2010, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by caymin last
So broke I can't pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat View Post
Glad to hear that they called you back but sorry to hear that it is putting a cramp on your build. The Mrs. lost her job Friday, had been there for 13 years.
I appologize for the delay in responding. Sorry to hear about the Mrs. I hope things turn around soon.
Today I went to the LHS to get a propeller, nothing close to what I was looking for, so I decided to try and make one. The only material on hand was a scrap of Alum, keep in mind this is just an experiment, so don't laugh too loud.
Here is what I have so far, it's about 3mm thick and 45mm in dia.

I still have to shape and clean it up some, but it's a start.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by toesup
USA'd ex Brit
Whooooahhhh...

That's an interesting prop...
Old May 27, 2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup View Post
Whooooahhhh...

That's an interesting prop...
Well, I warned you, I'm just experimenting. I saw 'Towboat Joe's' tutorial on scratchbuilding props, http://www.towboatjoe.com/shafts.htm and used it as a kind of reference.
It's not perfect, by a long shot, but it might work. The one side view pic makes it look like the lower blade is way out, but I chucked it up in my drill and it runs fairly true, needs more work though.

Old May 28, 2010, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Looks very nice to me! Might want to add a touch more pitch though.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by fooman2008
now I have a question...I have seen people use foam and then glass it for wings and such could you take some aircore, or thin foam, make a basic springer hull (just the sides, bow, stern and bottom)and then glass over the foam or aircore? Or is that idea just reinventing the wheel? When I said glass it, I meant inside and out for both water tightness and structural strength.
Foo
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by arrow5
can you land on that ?
Yes it is possible but rough surfaces and "rounded" edges without a lot of work. Go for the solid foam not the foam-core sheets. Best bet is to skin the foam with 1/16 ply (or balsa but this is very absorbent)then glass it. Make sure you use epoxy if working on bare foam , polyester will dissolve most foams. Here is one I made earlier , was going to be "Miss Molly Brown" (look her up ) but I liked US Coastguard buoy layer I saw on the web. These pics have been on before. When are you starting Foo ??????
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:21 AM
can you land on that ?
...oops forgot to show finished article, sitting a bit tail heavy, no batteries fitted.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by fooman2008
I am not working right now and I am doing a lot of that 'thinking building' (which is free). I got a job interview today, with a remodeling contractor and usually they have a lot of little pieces of scrap foam left over from insulating things.
Foo
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:20 AM
can you land on that ?
Good luck with the job interview, lotsa scrap in my models. I`m a regular at the village dump...er Recycling Facility, usualy take more home than I take for disposal !
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by timo2
Timo2
Hi Arrow

Hope your well , how is the BIG BOY build going on ?

Timo2
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:20 PM
can you land on that ?
Timo , glad you asked that. Now that the snow is (nearly) gone time to get the kit out of the shed. Got #1 son home for 10 days so might also get Vinny out for a jaunt , Caley Canal or Cromarty Firth. Cant go wrong with a RYA guy (him) at the helm. Me ? Feeling great again 98% , thanks. Coffee next time you pass.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by alex111
i like all of the tug boat and the club looks good
Old Jun 06, 2010, 03:24 PM
I managed to get a little more work done on my first Springer. Made up a stuffing tube, rudder tube and cooling pick up tube. A bit of filler and some sanding on the hull, still a long way to go, but making progress. I also have the bottom skin on the second one.

Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Looking very nice!
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks, the little white dots on the front of the hull are from my son practising with his Red Ryder BB rifle, before I decided use it for my project, nice grouping though.