Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
idle curiosity. was that bell equipped with a copper clapper?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
LOL on the guesses so far
another clue
termites

should have the deck roughed out this afternoon but the wife has me installing lights as well.
the basic hull is done, 3mm balsa and one layer of light cloth and epoxy.
regards
Nick
Apr 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ah, Classic! The Johnny Carson/Jack Webb Copper Clapper Caper skit!

Last edited by Aerominded; Apr 11, 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Apr 11, 2007, 07:40 PM
yeah was wondering if someone might have copped his copper clapper
Apr 11, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'd suspect Clive Cooper copped his copper clapper from the closet...
Apr 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
I'd suspect Clive Cooper copped his copper clapper from the closet...
Is that Clive Cooper, the kleptomaniac... from Cleveland?
Apr 12, 2007, 01:11 AM
The very same one, Toes!!! Classic sketch!

Oh yeah! Springers!!!
Apr 12, 2007, 01:40 AM

Rough deck

Here are a couple of pics of my springer deck, after re-reading the whole springer thread it looks as if some oversized scuppers may be needed. the full sized boats sure needed them. the deck will be watertight even if the whole well is flooded though.
Any idea on how to get epoxy to set quicker. its bugging me to wait for several hours befor I can work on it again, also anyone know of a source for green flat or matt paint that is water resistant enough for this kind of boat, the hardware store was a little unhelpful in this respect and the 25 ml or so in a Tamiya pot might just cover the engine hatch
Regards
Nick
Apr 12, 2007, 01:53 AM
Hummm, still not sure what it is, Nick... more hints?

re epoxy, heat will kick it off more quickly but it is probably best just to be patient
Apr 12, 2007, 02:23 AM
USA'd ex Brit
I dont know what it is either... but it certainly looks an interesting.. and out of the ordinary.. Springer..

Yeah, Aero is right, we need some more hints.. "Termites" makes me think its full of holes!!..

Re: Epoxy.. 5 minute epoxy is a good idea if its a quick and duuuurty stick, although its not quite as strong as the 24 hour stuff..

Re: Paint.. As long as the hull is well sealed (at least three coats of sealer between the wood and the water) you can stick any old matt green paint over it. Making sure of course you have tested compatability of the paint over your chosen sealer on a scrap piece FIRST! I see you are planning on epoxy / cloth before the paint, that should be enough of a sealer as well as a strengthener before the paint.

Australian / German,.. Matt green,... Termites,...
Apr 12, 2007, 03:00 AM
SDJ
SDJ
Hi Nick, I live in Australia and youve got me stumped too, could it be a navy landing troop carrier type thingy??
Apr 12, 2007, 03:01 AM

Scale is nearly perfect

Im only worried about the paint itself being water resistant, the hull and deck will be sealed with epoxy. I found the dimensions of the full size boat, 7 metres by 3.5, which makes it 17.5 x 8.75 inches roughly. my hull is 18 x 8 std springer, I wasnt far off the money. Termite's are a referance to army engineers, I guess it was a little obscure. dont want to give too much more away until I have it looking closer to the real boat. Its realy i think that everything from the waterline up will look exactly like the full size boat. Ive made one concession on the springer hull, the bow has 3 panels with the 2 side panels at about a 10 deg angle, the german boat did have a square bow from what i can gather.
regards
Nick
Apr 12, 2007, 03:20 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Any paint (if its exterior quality) should be water resistant. be it Celulose based, Enamel based, or even water based (when its dry'd out!).. as long as you dont keep your Springer in water all the time.

If your Springer is Army based, could you find a household exterior paint to match the green you want.. and then matt spray over the top if its not matt?.

Would your build be something along the lines of a D.U.K.W?
http://aboutfacts.net/Weapons&War/We...amphibious.gif
Apr 12, 2007, 03:36 AM
can you land on that ?
Jeez I didnt know the bell question was prompt for a joke ! We dont get that show in UK, please dont explain, the straightman never gets it. Nick75au, so it is military , Wehrmacht tank landing craft ? Das Schpringer.
Apr 12, 2007, 04:44 AM
Still waiting for epoxy to dry, A dukw is a bit long and narrow, but this boat is transported by road.
Regards
nick
Last edited by nick_75au; Apr 12, 2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clearing up

Quick Reply