This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
I envy your tidy work bench
Hee hee, me too! I can't really even see the top of my workbench at the present! Life is too short for "clean as you go"

Your Springer is looking great, Valo!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2008, 03:02 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
From the images of his shop, Valo needs either a larger workbench, or a lot fewer ongoing projects---.
Apr 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
WooHoo!

Scooter update: Nernies and Greeblies

Been working the other job & finally got some boat time. Added some nernies and greeblies to the helm, made an exhaust pipe with a spring-loaded flapper. Also got final color on all the surfaces. In the midst of removing the paint from the fittings so I can chemically treat them blackish. I was hoping to get Scooter done by the end of this month, but that’s not gonna happen, oh well…. maybe next year.
Last edited by woodybob; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: pixswap...
Apr 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
Are you going to put a heat sheild around that exhaust? Maybe some extra support? Might be tempting to grab on to it if the boat rolled...

Looking great!
Apr 20, 2008, 10:44 PM
WooHoo!
Yea... it needs something.
Apr 21, 2008, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
Looking good Valo..

I see you have a nice tidy workbench... just like most of us Springer builders...

As for a name, are you looking for suggestions?... any ideas on the type of superstructure?
for the name, thought about sprice/spreis (to sound more german ) (superstructure is going to be somewhat like the austrian river icebreaker röthelstein

@kmot
no tamiya (i would like to have a tamiya), it's a robbe man f2000.... this &/&%")§$ nothing really fits out of the box.... and yes, thought about building a trailer for the springer

@arrow
no not really looking for suggestions (see above ) the servo bopx looks watertight, but there are some small holes in it, but i plan on closing them...
deck is glued on, not removable... the screws held the deck down when the glued dried

@der kapitan
no no no, i need MORE projects and what you see of my wokrbench is not even the half of it... but i plan on moving to a new flat, then i will have a whole room just for me and my projects

@aerominded
thanks hopefully its finished soon... weather is better and better now and i want to go to the pond....
Apr 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have to admit the little deck slip on 'boxes' really work nicely .. had to send the springer out to save a sailboat snagged on a racing marker ... stormy weather was blowing in and the back half of my springer was basically swamped the entire time in the waves... not a drop in the hull

I've got a couple "mods" I have to do before I get further into making it "pretty" .. I need to move some weight forward.. it's too heavy in the middle/tail.. which means it doesn't plow the nose at full throttle.. but it tries to drive over top anything I try to push ...

and.. would a nozzle be worth it? I'm thinking about a nozzle and lightly modifying the existing rudder to get an almost spin on the spot turning
Apr 21, 2008, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless
and.. would a nozzle be worth it? I'm thinking about a nozzle and lightly modifying the existing rudder to get an almost spin on the spot turning
Chances are you will need a new rudder post to position the nozzle over the propeller correctly, unless you were planning on a fixed nozzle?

I don't think a fixed nozzle would give much better turning radius unless maybe you upgraded to twin "shutter" rudders. The benefit of an open wheel in manuevering is that it will "walk" the stern in the direction of prop rotation when operating astern. You can definitely take advantage of that if you are conscious of it. Besides, I would assume that the kort would just be another big blob hung under the hull and act like the keel more than a turning aid.

However, on a straight pull...well, that might be a different story.
Apr 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
well my idea is a fixed nozzle with "wing tips' or extensions of the nozzle at the sides.. my rudder doesn't go 90 deg with the prop on either side of the sweep.. so I want to basically keep the prop side of the rudder up at the nozzle at all points in the sweep.. directing as much of the thrust in the direct the rudder is turned... maybe change to a 4 or 5 blade prop too... heh.. I've also toyed with the thought of finding a 3spd tamiya transmission ... maybe I'll put that in the bashed Bankert with the 750 in it
Apr 23, 2008, 01:25 AM
can you land on that ?
Valo; Spreis...Nice !
Apr 23, 2008, 07:36 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by valo
@der kapitan
no no no, i need MORE projects and what you see of my wokrbench is not even the half of it... but i plan on moving to a new flat, then i will have a whole room just for me and my projects
Valo, when you get a whole room, the projects will multiply to the point where you will be BURIED in them---.

For proof of this, just scan through the threads, and look at the shop pictures of these other guys---.

So be very careful of what you wish for---.
Apr 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Valo, when you get a whole room, the projects will multiply to the point where you will be BURIED in them---.

TOO TRUE!!!!
Apr 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
hey.. DON'T TELL MY WIFE THAT...

we're in the process of buying a first home.. and we're going for a 3bdrm with a garage/shop .. so I have a place to build/store my boats... I don't think she knows about the whole multiple to fit new space thing... so shhhhhh

Apr 23, 2008, 09:56 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Seeing where you are from, I would make sure that shop is heated and well insulated or I'd be looking for a basement.
Apr 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
well the 'bedroom' would be for most building

shop/garage for storage and the harsh stuff like resins painting..

but yeah the current weather has been detouring me from spending much time in the area I currently have for construction

Quick Reply