This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
Full of cobwebs........
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2008, 06:38 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Full of cobwebs........
Tsk.. tsk... tsk...
Jan 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Toesup boat werks update...

Red Oktober (красный октябрь) has a prop and shaft affixed in to the hull.. the motor 'block' is in and the motor fixed down to it.
I've also started on the radio 'bay'.. at least i have the servo in position. I'm trying to keep the electronics high in the hull so if water does get in, at least the electronics wont go 'fzzzzzzzt' even if the motor does..

Oh, and the conning tower has 'dive planes'...
Jan 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
hey every one ive been looking at these boats and they look really kool but and i was wondering how hard is to build one for myself because ive never built a boat but these look simpler than most because its flat fronts & back and then you just bend the wood to make it curve and then drill a hole for the shaft etc do u think i could do it?
Jan 27, 2008, 08:30 PM
Call me Mad Hatter
Well only one way to find out.
There are a lot of information on these pages, just start reading.
Come up with a plan and find some wood.
Good luck and show us what you come up with.
Jan 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
how thick is the wood u use for the hull and also do u just bend it by clamping it to the curve and then just glue it?? i think ill start one soon when i get some money together to buy material and about how many hours are put into a simple one of these because im not too good with details
thnx
-mrwuffles
Jan 27, 2008, 09:11 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles
how thick is the wood u use for the hull and also do u just bend it by clamping it to the curve and then just glue it??
....about how many hours are put into a simple one of these because im not too good with details
Any wood that is thick enough. I use 1/4" ply.. and some use 3/8" pine... Thats for the sides, bow and stern. For the bottom its either 1/16" ply ot 1/8" door skin.
Yes, bend / glue the bottom and clamp. Some times a little wetting and clamping prior to gluing helps the wood take on the curve of the bottom.
A simple Springer can be built in a weekend...
Jan 27, 2008, 09:22 PM
thnx and i have an old jet arrow do u think i could salvage some of the radio and battery stuff from it like steering servo, reciever transmitter etc and do u guys put esc's in these and i see some have two battery packs atleast thats what it looks like but only one motor and rudder why do they have 2 batteries? and like to make a template for the sides how should i shape it, how do u guys shape it?
Last edited by mrwuffles; Jan 27, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Jan 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
i have an old jet arrow do u think i could salvage some of the radio and battery stuff from it like steering servo, reciever transmitter etc and do u guys put esc's in these
i see some have two battery packs atleast thats what it looks like but only one motor and rudder why do they have 2 batteries?
...like to make a template for the sides how should i shape it, how do u guys shape it?
If a 'jet arrow' is a boat, then sure, you can scavenge as much RC gear out of it that you will need.
A WOT (Wide Open Throttle) Springer has a tendancy to submerge itself due to the hull shape, so an ESC is preferable so you can back off on the throttle..
Two battery packs as ballast is better than 3lb of lead to bring the Springer to the waterline. Two batteries (2x 6v 4.5ah) also have a looooooooong run time...
Cut out the two sides as accuratly as possible, clamp them together and sand... easy...
Jan 27, 2008, 10:37 PM
"Red October" is looking neat and well crafted Toes!

Mr. Wuffles, the basic Springer is as easy as it gets, go for it!
Jan 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
WooHoo!
Quote:
hey every one ive been looking at these boats and they look really kool but and i was wondering how hard is to build one for myself because ive never built a boat but these look simpler than most because its flat fronts & back and then you just bend the wood to make it curve and then drill a hole for the shaft etc do u think i could do it?
Welcome aboard. Find and download all the PDF files. A world of Springer wealth, you’ll be sawing and sanding in no time. These should get ya started... #98 #99 #101#106
Jan 28, 2008, 12:31 AM
WooHoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
Toesup boat werks update...

Red Oktober (красный октябрь)
Wicked!
Jan 28, 2008, 04:54 AM
can you land on that ?
Comrade Toesovitch. You have TWO coded PMs. Moscow Control. ( he he that`ll get him in trouble with immigration and a few other US agencies)
Jan 28, 2008, 04:59 AM
can you land on that ?
Toes: are the dive-planes being retro-fitted ?
Jan 28, 2008, 07:49 AM
thanx for all the help this is such a great forum so i can just like almost free hand the side to get the shape within the specs????? thats what i was asking when i said template
also ya a jet arrow is an old electric boat but it doesnt have esc so ill probably put one in and just take the steering servo and mayb the motor not sure bout tht yet and would a 7.2 volt battery work good with the size motors u guys are using?

Quick Reply