This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 27, 2006, 04:17 PM
The pond with the rocks looks like the pond in Spokane that the Spokane group uses. I think it is in front of a Public Utilities Building, I remember competing in the Tidewater Cup there. Yes it is interesting navagating the course with rocks to watch out for also. Jerry J
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
2 more photos.
Jun 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
The hull sides are 1/2" or 3/4" material. Not real critical. Just make sure it is beefy enough to anchor some bits on the deck.

The bottom is 1/8" doorskin.

The skeg is 1/2" or 3/8 depends on the shaft tube you use. It is attach to the bottom of the hull with epoxy and couple of screws from inside the hull.

If you want you can add the deck curve it is about 1/2".
Jun 10, 2006, 02:52 PM
Boats on the brain!!
The crane on the barge in the second picture, was that scratchbuilt or was it a kit.
Jun 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks Boater!!!
Aug 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
hey these things look fun! just found this thread and those tugs look real simple to build, I may have a go at one myself and customise it to my liking.
Aug 20, 2006, 10:04 AM
r/c ships and workboats
green-boate Photo is at Bellevue, WA ( home of the original Springers). The barge is scratch built.
remondo They are a lot of fun. Kind of equivilent to stock car racing with everyone on an even keel as it were!
Aug 21, 2006, 02:40 PM

Specs for the "Sport" Springer boats

6 volt motor battery.

Single shaft drive (no Kort nozzles).

3 bladed prop, max diameter 40 mm.

Single rudder, max 4 sq", single piece design
(salmon tail allowed).

Minimum weight of 8 1/2 lbs.

Push kness at least 2 1/2" high (above the deck)
mounted on the bow at 7" centers.

Removable spring type door stops on each push
knee no higher than deck level.

1" long 3/32 brass tube centered on rear edge of
the stern to hold a 1/16" wire for the ID flag.
Aug 27, 2006, 08:36 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
boater5026 said:

6 volt motor battery.

Single shaft drive (no Kort nozzles).

3 bladed prop, max diameter 40 mm.

Single rudder, max 4 sq", single piece design
(salmon tail allowed).

Minimum weight of 8 1/2 lbs.

Push kness at least 2 1/2" high (above the deck)
mounted on the bow at 7" centers.

Removable spring type door stops on each push
knee no higher than deck level.

1" long 3/32 brass tube centered on rear edge of
the stern to hold a 1/16" wire for the ID flag.

Hi Boater,

I heard mention of these Springer tugs from an older gent living somewhere near the San Francisco area, who visited me this summer. He left me a club schedule, and indeed there were a lot of Springer events.Today was my first venture into Dock Talk, and there was a big thread on these tugs.

The concept is really neat, a one-design contest tug, easily built and rigged
with a budget in mind. And the top can be as pretty or as ugly as one wishes.I think I might do one in fiberglass, as the rules don't say that they HAVE to be wood.

A question though, what's the thing with the spring door stops, what do they do? I couldn't figure what they're for.

Before I start on one, is there anything more that I need to know?
Aug 30, 2006, 04:13 PM

More Springer info, please

Der Kapitan mentioned that he ran across more Springer info on Dock Talk.
I'm a real newby around here and I'm interested in Springers. Where/what is dock talk? Who would like to talk some more about these neat little one-class tugs.

How big is the optimum 6-volt motor? Can someone recommend a brand? Does this boat require just a two-channel radio?

What is the thickness of the sides of something like this? What sort of wood is good for the bottom? The superstructure should be a lot of fun to design and build -- there are a lot of photos on this forum so suggestions abound.

I'm going to be house-bound for a few weeks (surgery, not house arrest :-) ) so I'll have some time to do something beside surf the net.

Thanks for any info anyone would like to provide.

Be well, all,

John Terrell
Aug 30, 2006, 08:04 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
JayElTee said:

Der Kapitan mentioned that he ran across more Springer info on Dock Talk.
I'm a real newby around here and I'm interested in Springers. Where/what is dock talk? Who would like to talk some more about these neat little one-class tugs.

How big is the optimum 6-volt motor? Can someone recommend a brand? Does this boat require just a two-channel radio?

What is the thickness of the sides of something like this? What sort of wood is good for the bottom? The superstructure should be a lot of fun to design and build -- there are a lot of photos on this forum so suggestions abound.

I'm going to be house-bound for a few weeks (surgery, not house arrest :-) ) so I'll have some time to do something beside surf the net.

John Terrell

Hi John,

I've only been surfing the RC Groups forum for a short time, So I'm a bit short on answers for you.

Dock Talk is the forum that you're presently on. Another one is Scale Boats,
which you can switch to by clicking on that title at the top of the page.

I had been on the Scale Boats forum, and stumbled upon Dock Talk by accident a few days ago.

The springer tug is what is currently attracting my interest, and I'm still gathering information on what it takes to build one. Apparently, all of the
information is here on these pages, all we need to do is dig for the data.
Aug 31, 2006, 02:11 PM
Have you seen the pdf files previously posted in this forum. My next build will be a springer, they look real fun! I will use it as a rescue boat probably but also just use it for messing about with.

-Remi
Aug 31, 2006, 02:29 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
remondo said:

Have you seen the pdf files previously posted in this forum. My next build will be a springer, they look real fun! I will use it as a rescue boat probably but also just use it for messing about with.

Remi

Hi Remi,

Yes, I saw the pdf's, but got better printouts from some images that
Umi Ryuzuki had posted. Using them, I've made a full-size profile pattern
from which I'll make a plug, and fabricate a fiberglass mold off of it.

I already have a workboat-type hull that is used to rescue the model
yacht guys when they sail too close toward sunset. That's when the wind dies, and leaves them out in the middle of the pond.

Like you said, a perfect boat to mess about with, or start a one-design class for club fun---.
Aug 31, 2006, 02:51 PM
r/c ships and workboats
The spring door stops are used by those playing polo/soccer with the tugs. They help hold the ball in place and prevent any serious damage to the other boats.
As far as the sides go, some use 3/8th " solid wood ( pine or other cheap/lite variety) or ply of varrious thickness. Easy to build and even funner to play with. They make great rescue boats with the flat fronts they get a hold of a stranded vessel quite well. Used mine to rescue a merchant vessel in Canada last year when all the "big" tugs couldn't get the job done!
Aug 31, 2006, 06:25 PM
I too got hooked on these things about a month ago. They are simple to build and cheap if you have stuff laying around. Ater building the large one I had to have one for the pool. The small one uses the guts out of an old 1\4 scale servo.
Jim

Quick Reply