This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yacht boy,

Yes, it is a 4-blade prop...an oversight when I placed the order. Since, I plan to use the boat for yacht recovery and maybe mark laying, I will use the 4-blade until another Springer shows up for a little one-on-one.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht boy
Scott,
That looks like a 4 bladed prop.
I'm guessing you are going for a "Classic" springer, in which case you will need a 3 bladed prop
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2008, 09:31 PM
P_J_Glor,

If you look at the logos on the pilot house you will see they are different in the pictures as well. There were no dates on the photos so the tug could have changed hands and/or been worked on over time. It has been a while since I found the pics, but I think the short, no screen is the most recent version.

I don't think I will use the worn out worker on my deck as Tregurtha1013 suggests; I have another figure in mind.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
You will also have to decide which exhaust configuratio you want -- I see at least three -- tall stacks, per Oldsail's posting from BoatNerd; short with screens, and short with no screens but curved tops extending aft. Maybe the guy o nthe fantail of the short-stacked version sucked up too many fumes, so they raised them...

Pete G.
Jan 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
WooHoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valo
hm, that is the price for just rx/tx plus one switch cable....

photos not yet, have to be made

I'm sure you get batteries & a charger too. This is the radio I have, Futaba, so far, so good.
Jan 16, 2008, 10:05 PM

Tug resources

I found pictures of the Cormorant and many more tugs at the following site:

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/archive/4-03.htm

and if you want details (i.e. registration) try:

http://www.tugboatenthusiastsociety.org/FindTug.asp

Hopefully, these are useful for research

Scott
Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 PM
WooHoo!
Back to the “box”. My Springer will have a 12-volt motor, running on 12 volts, does that make it a Super Springer? I think not. I’d think it would put it in a modified class. Only because the term “Super Springer” brings to mind, BIG, OVERSIZED, like super tankers. Every thing else is within the guidelines, except the square corners; watch out cause it’ll cut ya. Not sure I want to round them. Any advantage? Not planning to engage in combat, but ya never know. Just wondering? As this is my first Springer, I’m not really hip to the particulars and idiosyncrasies of the hull, except what I've learned from this thread.
Jan 16, 2008, 11:59 PM
12 volt!? ....BZZZZZZ...Yes folks we have a winner! It's a Super.

Welcome to the club!
Jan 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
My Springer will have a 12-volt motor, running on 12 volts, does that make it a Super Springer?
Sorry, WoodyBob, but that puts you outside the 'standard' rules even if the rest of your boat is 'standard'...

12v means its a Super...
Jan 17, 2008, 07:22 PM
WooHoo!
Super it is...
Jan 17, 2008, 07:30 PM
WooHoo!
Time to make a bollard for the Springer. After carefully selecting the proper material, then cutting, drilling, soldering, and filing. It’s done.
Last edited by woodybob; Mar 15, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Jan 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Some slight of hand going on there Woodybob...

Ok, now do some more.. this time so we can see what you are doing...
Jan 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
WooHoo!
In a nutshell, I gathered the brass, 5/16” ID on the vertical & ¼” ID on the horizontal. I drilled the appropriate size hole thru the verticals, stuffed the horizontal piece into the vertical holes, centered and aligned the tubes, then soldered. Did some clean up with files, sandpaper and rouge on a buffing wheel attached to my Dremel. To finish the end caps I got some steel clevis pins from OSH, cut them down and will probably Epoxy those in place and paint the part black to complete the side job.
Jan 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Toesup boat werks update...

Its a long one, sorry...
You had better remove ALL liquid refreshments and foodstuffs from mouth before reading further, we hold no responsibility for aspirating viewers of this post

Project Z
This has come to a difficult part of the build, trying to figure the motor install.. The position of the drives dictates the motor position right under the deck... I think it needs to have another bulkhead fitted to support the ends of the motor mount.. somehow..
I've continued to add some of the towing bitts and bollard supports while the design department overcome the problem.

By the way, as Woodybob noticed, the Knees (Elbows) are on the wrong end.. Actually, they are on the right end for this Springer from the toesup boat werks..

The toesup boat werks is proud to announce the construction of the worlds first Regnirps class, a backwards Springer.. It is to be of a modern Z Tech type.
Project 'Z' now has a name.... and shall be known as 'Douglas Corrigan'... or 'WW' for short.

Project S
This is proving to be an interesting build, calling on the model aircraft background of the toesup crew. Some of the bulkheads are in and so are the two 'keels that form part of the upper superstructure.

The toesup boat werks design department has been working overtime to overcome the diving tendancies of the Springer.. this time i think we will make use of these 'traits' and use them to our advantage.

The toesup boat werks is proud to release information on its NEW S class Springer (no Arrow, NOT Steam!)... but Submarine..

So, this is to be a Sub Standard Springer...

Please welcome the SSS Red Oktober...

At this point you are all going to be thinking...
Jan 17, 2008, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
At this point you are all going to be thinking...
How does he DO that...

Wow!...I tip my hat and hoist my brew in your honor sir.

I have a book here on the KURSK. I think you need it more than I do....
Jan 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
Submarines, etc.
Toes,

is there enough space to mount the motors to the sides of the Z springer?
Jan 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
WooHoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
Toesup boat werks update...
Fascinating, to say the least. Project Z will be a most unique Springer. I’m sure you have contemplated a single motor, dual output, as an alternative for maintaining space for all the other stuff required to run the boat, like batteries and whatnot. Project S brings to mind my youth, when growing up in the San Fernando Valley I looked to the sky and witnessed the first local flight of a most unusual airplane. It, like Project S, was quite a sight. It was something I never forgot. Looking forward to your future posts regarding these out of the standard box, dare I say, Super, builds.

Quick Reply