Springer Class R/c Boats - Page 101 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2007, 01:29 AM
Call me Mad Hatter
Well, after looking at those pictures, I guess they have to be tough, hu?

How do you keep water from getting in through the top? With all the action going on, it must be a concern. Silicone around the hatches?

They look great! I just might try to build one.
I don't think we have that style over here in my area in Michigan.
At least I've never seen them.

I see mostly pleasure boats, fishing boats, gravel haulers, and small work boats on Lake Michigan.

And WAY too many jetski's. :/

Ford_63
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2007, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadmatt
Andy
in my baot the rx is on top of the batter & the ESC is as well. make sure that
water can't get to them. (high & to the sides)

Thank you. I decided to spread the gear (and the FUSES) around a bit. I have built a small "shelf" over the shaft and motor that should keep everything dry.

I have spent way too much time this afternoon focusing on the engine mount! I made close to 7 trips to the bandsaw to try and work out my shaft angle problem. The motor mount just keeps getting lower and lower and the problem just keeps changing! Aaaggghhh! Well, I have a pattern now, so if it works the next boat hull(in primer ) will be easy.

I finally sketched the engine mount and stringers on the side of the hull to work out the bugs. This is what happens when you have a PLAN and start changing your mind and fail to update the PLAN.
Jul 05, 2007, 05:14 PM
OK just came back from the pond and maiden my little guy! I can see how you can get hook on these little buggers. Will get pics tomorrow.

Some minor problems needed to move batteries a little aft. Getting water into hull but I think it was the lousy caulk I used, will scrap and rechaulk with good quality silicone.

I notice when I tried to charge the bat it said it was shorted, I imagine its is becaue it was kinda wet and shorting out. I let them dry for a while.

All in all a good day, learn lot as well. Oh, did I tell you I had the rudder hook in reverse...lots of fun at full steam. Speed control should be here Fri or Sat.

Ralph
Jul 05, 2007, 09:54 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Getting water into hull but I think it was the lousy caulk I used, will scrap and rechaulk with good quality silicone.
Caulk?? ... silicone???... what????...

Where are you using such materials?????
Jul 05, 2007, 10:18 PM
On the inside sides/bottom??
Jul 05, 2007, 10:21 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
On the inside sides/bottom??
You mean to stick the pieces together??... or just as a sealant?..
Jul 05, 2007, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
Caulk?? ... silicone???... what????...

Where are you using such materials?????
On the inside stuffing box /hull joint and other places in the inside ???

As a sealant
Jul 05, 2007, 10:28 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
On the inside stuffing box /hull joint and other places in the inside ???

As a sealant
Oh dear.....

Stuffing box / hull joint should be something like epoxy...

Wood to wood joints should be at least white woodworking glue or better.. some even use epoxy for that..
Jul 05, 2007, 10:44 PM
lots lots lots of epoxy
Jul 05, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yes, oh dear. It is such a lovely boat, too!

Don't worry, worse case scenario I believe its possible to coat the outside of the hull with epoxy and perhaps a bit of hobby glass cloth and retain your certificate of seaworthiness. It might be worth giving the inside a splash of goo as well (just to seal it.)

A good thing for us new boaters that this thread is actively participated on by those wise to the ways of the wiley Springer. Good help is always close at hand!

Indeed!
Jul 06, 2007, 12:06 AM
What the heck makes you think I used a caulking to attach bottom to side joints????

Geez, I think I may go back to planes
Jul 06, 2007, 12:15 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Nooooo... we wont let you do that, you produced such a lovely Springer!..
Jul 06, 2007, 12:56 AM
can you land on that ?
We need pictures Ralph. As the worlds leading expert on wet Springers I wonder where you are getting water into the hull. My "arrowing" has been under extreme circumstances , nomally both my hulls are dry runners. A dribble sometimes comes up the rudder shaft but a good dollup of grease on top and bottom cures that. If you have a detachable deck grease between hull and deck. Up the propshaft ? Inject grease. All hatches on deck should have a high coaming with overhanging lid, tightish fit, I dont use grease there. If you are drawing water from joints let her dry out and skin the hull with glass and epoxy like a plane wing. Or as planned build #2, a pink foam block skinned with veneer, balsa or best 1/16th ply. Show us your pics and throw the caulking away.....and oh yes put some floatation blocks in hull #1 before next outing. You dont want to be immortilised as the origin of the saying "doin`a Ralph" !
Last edited by arrow5; Jul 06, 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Jul 06, 2007, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Naaa, you did too nice of a job on your Springer to do that!

I'm a big believer in epoxy! use the same weight of glass you might be familiar with using on wing center sections, etc. @.75 for the outside and use just epoxy to coat the interior and you will have a dry boat!

I love planes... but boats are great fun too!

Arrow, I'm glad you have a sense of humor re: "Doing an Arrow, Arrowing, etc."... I'm sure I heard that saying a couple of times at the last event I attended!
Jul 06, 2007, 01:18 AM
I'mmmm back

Quick Reply