Has anybody used cell phone batteries for their plane! - RC Groups
Apr 24, 2001, 08:34 PM
Fun Flyin

Has anybody used cell phone batteries for their plane!

Has anybody ever used a cell phone battery to power their planes. If so, which one. Also, can it even be done!

to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2001, 09:15 PM
I imagine that just about any battery could be torn apart to fashion a flight battery of some sort. I have used cordless phone packs with great results.
Apr 24, 2001, 09:36 PM
Moved to Modeling Science...
Apr 25, 2001, 01:40 AM
Strange Plane Central
Some 1300 mah Nmhd work well for S400.
Nicad ones I tried were anemic
Apr 25, 2001, 08:37 AM
Old Guy
....and in a pinch I've used 10 cell flight packs to charge my cell phone. It's all just potential energy waiting to be consumed.
Ron
Apr 26, 2001, 01:31 AM
I have taken apart 2 star-tac phone batteries. To my surprise, I found 5 AA 1200mah Nimh cells in each... I have flown the resulting 10-pack with a Permax 480, gunther prop. Performs nicely.
Apr 26, 2001, 12:14 PM
Always looking UP
Not only have I experimented with cell phone packs with excellent results, but get this! I have 5 laptop 19.2 volt (16 cell) packs that I acquired, and am going to have my latest scratchbuilt twin contain the plug in end from one of the laptop cases. This should truly be a `plug and fly' plane!
Apr 26, 2001, 06:25 PM
I found some $1 closeout packs for portable phones at Wally-World. These had 3 - 270mah nimh cells in each. 4 bad cells out of 15. I didn't think that was too bad.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Apr 27, 2001, 03:56 PM
Here in Blighty, I got some old obsolete phone packs from 'Overlander'. they had Sanyo 600mAh AA's in them.

Steve
Apr 27, 2001, 04:01 PM
I've bought cell phone packs to try on DD S400. Didn't have any luck with NMH or Nicad. The NMH AA cells not working didn't surprise my too much, but the Ni-cads did. Thought for sure they would be OK. Turns out they last for a couple of minutes then cut out. Might work in a lower current geared set up.
Apr 27, 2001, 07:15 PM
How about video camera batteries?
May 31, 2006, 04:08 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:45 AM
mobilexchange
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement.
Oct 15, 2010, 07:18 AM
Way to many airplanes!
In the newer cell phones, most of the time, these batteries have a lower C rating than what we could use in airplanes. The goal for those batteries is to provide a low current for a long period of time, so they try to get more capacity in a smaller package. The only way to do it is to lower the C rating of the battery.

I kind of like the laptop battery idea though... Those battery packs must provide a lot more current in normally shorter term, so they must have higher C rating. On the other side, when you find some old one, they may have seen countless charging cycles already, so they could be on their last leg.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:02 AM
mobilexchange
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement.